Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #31
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Re: WIP: 2CV “Rock and Roll-Bar”

This is looking fabulous already, no need to build it further, it would take away from all the work done to it!

Simply amazing what is coming out of your little garage!

Olivier
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:58 AM   #32
A_C
AF Regular

Great idea and progress. Especially love your seats.
A_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 04:56 AM   #33
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
UPDATE: Jean Paul creeps forward.

Last couple of months have been bad for modeling (no time except to buy more kits). However, last couple of weekends have been a bit more forgiving and I have managed to actually do something instead of just thinking about it!

First thing has been to really finish all the parts for the roll cage. Here it is, and next stage will be to prime and paint it. I’ve decided that I want to try and make this build look as if it has been well used so I’ll be looking at chipping, rusting and bending it all (True story is that my painting sucks and it would look like that anyway )

Since I had finished the roll bars, it was time to address the issue of the spare wheel that’s supposed to hang there. I couldn’t find a suitable part anywhere so I bit the bullet, bought some RTV silicone and resin and made a mold and cast my own.

Not bad results for my first try (disasters along the way of course). Will use the separate tyre and rim to make painting easier. Will use surplus casts as “luggage” for the trunk.

I’m trying to prepare all the parts before I start painting anything, so next up for no particular reason was the headlight guards. I scratchbuilt these out of wire, nail and spare P/E sprue and parts.

First, to make the rings, I wrapped some wire around a nail to make a series of coils:

I then removed two of the coils, flattened them and used CA glue to close the gap. I then took thin wire and glued it in place to make the mesh.

This didn’t work too well for me, so in the end I used some scrap P/E mesh cut to size and glued in place. The fixing bars were made out of P/E sprue ben and gled into place.

After my reasonably successful attempts at “metal work” with the dampers and seat, I decided that I wanted to try making a metal exhaust as well. In the picture below, you can see the kit part next to my 90% finished metal one made out of brass and aluminium tubing. The fixings are lollypop stick drilled out and a piece of brass wire.

First attempts at bending the alu tube was disaster as it “kinked” all the time then I remembered reading about putting wire inside plastic tube to ease bending so I put some solder inside the alu tube and…MAGIC!!! Virtually no kinking!. Here’s the exhaust dry-fitted in place.

Now for something you youngsters have probably never seen in 1/1  - A crank handle!!
The 2CV can actually be started by manually cranking the engine and it doubles as a wheel spanner. I scratch built it out of some brass wire and a styrene rod which I carved to shape and drilled out.

The radiator was drilled in the middle to allow the crank handle to be inserted.

One of the last things for the interior (I hope) was the non-slip flooring to cover all the mold holes. Since I can’t get hold of styrene diamond plate and it is damned expensive anyway, I decide to try and make my own. Here’s how:

Make a pattern of the floor with masking tape.

Transfered this to plain styrene sheet, cut it out and covered this with some plastic netting I found in my workshop.

I then covered this with some Belgian chocolate wrapping foil (yum, yum). This is excellent material BTW – thin but very strong.

After the foil was glued on, I rubbed it down all over with a cotton bud to get the embossed effect of the netting.

This method worked very well – but now for the catch.... Don’t use styrene cement to fix the netting to the styrene sheet !!! The next day the whole thing distorted and curled up like a pancake. Next time I would use white glue and CA the foil to the back.

Luckily I didn’t throw my template away and was given some PE diamond plate that AMV modellers use. I cut this out to shape (hard to do well) and this will be my real metal floor (painted, of course)

Here are some shots of a test fit to see how it’s working and to catch any bif problems:

Sorry for the long post all in one go.

Next steps are to start putting the engine together and then painting – arrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh – I guess I can’t keep putting it off

Hope you like some of the above and thanks for looking. Comments/suggestions always welcome

Stevenski

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #34
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

Nice nice and nice, you are full of the good ideas, I will copy some if you don't mind

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #35
GvEman
AF Enthusiast

Looks sweet man!
Old 10-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #36
KTem
AF Enthusiast

Wow, it looks great! I really like this project, marvelous work!

KTem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #37
bigfrit
AF Enthusiast

Stop it!

before it gets too good!

Oli
bigfrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 12:12 AM   #38
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi,

nice progress, clean work !!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:56 AM   #39
proosen
AF Enthusiast

As a full grown Citroën maniac I can't but just love this build. It'll look fantastic when finished....well, it already does.

Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 AM   #40
Wheelin75r
AF Enthusiast

I'm speechless!!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:25 AM   #41
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100
Thanks guys for the encouragement - it is much appreciated!!

Posted by sjelic - 10-10-2005 at 02:38 PM
Nice nice and nice, you are full of the good ideas, I will copy some if you don't mind

Sasa - you gotta be kidding me!?!?!? It is me that copies from you! but just in case, feel free Sasa, I still looking for that wine

To all of you - greetings from sunny Monte Negro and Croatia!

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:14 PM   #42
mickbench
AF Fanatic

This is some very creative work. You are producing some nice idea in your little shop of model cars..!!

The metal flooring looks so good, great work. Very impressive work. Considering you have little time, your time you do have for model building is put to great usage.. Big thumbs up from me on this one.
mickbench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #43
MidMazar
AF Fanatic

I gotta say the progress looks stunning, i excpecially like the exhaust and light gaurds. Great scratch building.~!
Old 10-14-2005, 08:47 PM   #44
MPWR
Image Hosting Exceeded

Looks like terrific work, Stevenski! And to think it was only earlier this year that you claimed to be a beginner....

My wife has finally found herself a reissue of this kit. Now that I have see it in person, I can even better appreciate the work you've put into it.

Looking forward to seeing it painted up!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:50 AM   #45
Merkava
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Merkava
Very nice work on a very unique subject! I love your attention to detail and clean building style. I can tell this will turn out a masterpiece.

TRIUMPH!
Merkava is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street