Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
Lonely SOl
AF Newbie

Need help with custom fiberglass enclosure

Hi I am starting to make the fiberglass enclosure for 2 subs. I was wondering how do they make it curve in like this pic. where the subwoofers are. And how do you get curves in the fiverglass like that?

http://www.originalcustoms.com/image...tsubishi_a.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Lonely SOl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:14 AM   #2
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Need help with custom fiberglass enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely SOl
Hi I am starting to make the fiberglass enclosure for 2 subs. I was wondering how do they make it curve in like this pic. where the subwoofers are. And how do you get curves in the fiverglass like that?

http://www.originalcustoms.com/image...tsubishi_a.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Make the base mold of a few layers of fiberglass. Then using dowels, glue the mount rings to the dowels. Stretch fleece AS TIGHTLY AS POSSIBLE over top of the entire are, this is what "makes the curves". The resin the fleece, two layers of resin only on the outside. When it hardens, cut-out the holes from where the fleece cover the mounting ring. THEN, put a few layers of fiberglass on the inside...this gives strength and reinforcement. Then sand the outside, bondo it, sand, sand, sand, sand, skim coat with diluted bondo, primer, wet-sand, paint

For more help if needed, hit me up anytime...and check out:
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25
The first and third stickied thread

NG

That's it in a nut-shell
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Lonely SOl
AF Newbie

I know about that but how do u make it sinked liked the subwoofer iin the pic. Also, how would u cover if the base has two speaker and an amp, in which amp is lower then the speakers?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely SOl
I know about that but how do u make it sinked liked the subwoofer iin the pic. Also, how would u cover if the base has two speaker and an amp, in which amp is lower then the speakers?
That's determined by the dowel's or other supporting structures you use BEFORE you stretch the fleece.

nG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:06 PM   #5
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Need help with custom fiberglass enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngsm13
That's determined by the dowel's or other supporting structures you use BEFORE you stretch the fleece.

nG
^ what he said

i was going to make something like that for my accord, (not as fancy i guess) i was just going to make the sub look like it was sinking in, usually if you put enough resin and there is enough space between the mounting ring and the end of the fiberglass structure, the fleece will sink itself, its really not that hard
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
Lonely SOl
AF Newbie

so make the other support out of foam or sumthin like that to give me the curve I want
Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

No, you arent listening to what they are saying. you make a mold of where you want the sib to go, then you use dowels or metal or w/e to support rings. the sinking motion in that picture was probably made by stableing/glueing the fleece to the rings and the rings are lower than the outer edges ofthe enclsure.

but unless you are using larger subs, reenforcement is hard as hell to do. try matting with the only acess being a 9" diameter hole. not fun. just reenfoce the outside then sand like hell...or use tons of body filler.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:19 PM   #8
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Need help with custom fiberglass enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
No, you arent listening to what they are saying. you make a mold of where you want the sib to go, then you use dowels or metal or w/e to support rings. the sinking motion in that picture was probably made by stableing/glueing the fleece to the rings and the rings are lower than the outer edges ofthe enclsure.

but unless you are using larger subs, reenforcement is hard as hell to do. try matting with the only acess being a 9" diameter hole. not fun. just reenfoce the outside then sand like hell...or use tons of body filler.
Yep, you got it. On something like that what I do is make the sides then get my rings made for the speaker size. I then use any means to get the rings where I want it. Usually, I try to cut strips of HDF and attach one end to a ring and the other to the side of the box.

To help the sanding issue, I only do one coat of resin on the outside. That way it will stay fairly smooth. Once all the fleece has at least one good coat, I dump the resin on the inside. I do this because the resin will get real rough and I hate to sand. So, make it rough on the inside were no one can see it. Sand a little on the top and fill with Bondo and your done. You can see the rings on this box that I am dragging my feet to get done. Yes, I know it's not the same style but you get the idea.

Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD