Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to wheel1856
Wink Step By Step Pics On How to Paint Your Interior

Well here ya go! Finally, a thread with step by step, including pics, on how to paint you interior. Hope this helps someone! If you have any problems, questions, or suggestions, please e-mail me: wheel1856@hotmail.com I'm a teacher, so I'm happy to help.

Pictures are at the bottom, but read the steps first.
That said:

Step1: Buy your stuff.
-I used cheap $.94 spray paint from Wal-Mart, I would suggest however, you spend the extra bucks and buy Krylon Ultra Bond paint for plastics.
-Buy a large drop cloth ($2), Some latex gloves ($4), I used a full 5 cans of paint (for me: $5, Krylon- $25), masking tape-large and small - ($5), 2 large bottles of isopropyl alcohol ($3), spray bottle ($1), lots of paper towels ($3.49), a tack cloth ($2), and 400 grit sand paper ($3-4) ... if you plan on wet sanding...you're on your own (1000-1500 grit $3-4)
total cost (for me) $26 with krylon: $46 (bulbs: $2.99/2-192; $4.99/2-194)

Step2: Tear your car apart. If you don't have a Haynes/Helms/Chilton manual, but one, otherwise, forget it and add the cost above. I took out all the plastic pieces up front - see pictures. Keep your screws seperated in bags or jars.

Step 3: Wash all the pieces you plan to paint. Use dishsoap - it breaks up the grease, dirt, and other gunk, armorall included. I live in an apartment, so I used the bathtub for the door panels and bigger pieces. Dry the pieces thoroughly, then air dry. If all the water isn't gone, the paint is useless (ever wax a wet car? same thing.)

Step 4: Sand Everything! Be tedious!!!! Sand every edge, nook, cranie, everything! Use a block where you can to make sure your consistent.

Step 5: See step 3

Step 6: Fill your spray bottle with the alcohol. Hose down the pieces with the alcohol...dripping! Dry with paper towels..careful with the lint! Repeat as necessary to remove any last sanding bits or general gunk.

Step 7: Use your tack cloth and THOROUGHLY wipe down your pieces.

Step 8: Lay out your drop cloth (anchor it). Lay our the preped pieces. Paint. Keep the can about 8-10 inches from the surface and move the can continuously. If you can see the first coat on the piece easily, you are painting too heavily, get further away...patience pays off.
-Add a coat every 25-35 minutes, maybe longer depending on paint, temperature, and depth of coat.
-I preped pieces while the paint coates cured. This is a good way to pass the time and keep your self from adding the next coat too soon.

Step 9: Lay out some newspaper indoors somewhere - inside, garage, wherever. Let the pieces sit overnight before you even think about reinstalling them.

Step 10: Wet sand if you like. Polish if you like. I say wait a week or two before you do this, let the paint cure good and solid. I chose not to wet sand or polish. Also, I only used a clear coat on the center dash bezel, and at that only 2 light coates.

Step 11: reinstall. enjoy. Be careful, unlike when you yanked the pieces out before, or have banged them back in before, this time you must be slow and deliberate. If you get too rough, you can easily scratch or chip your paint. Be careful...work slow.

Hope that helps, and hope I didn't forget anything.
Here's the pics. Login as: guest.

enjoy! vive la Honda!

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/...ort=descending

ps: pics have steps as the title, click on the pic to see the title, also note the numbers on them if they are in funny order.

pps: I would like to thank, and give informational credit to, eckoman_pdx and tibby01 for their help in getting my needed information and DIY tips. Thanks.

Last edited by wheel1856; 05-06-2004 at 09:48 PM.
wheel1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

looks pretty damn good dude.

also, you could have linked the pictures to this thread by copying whatever is in the bottom of the three boxes under each picture, then pasting it on here...like this..

actually, id do it, but those pics are huge and people would get pissed. but thats why photobucket is tizight, because if you click edit on each picture, you can resize them too.

nice diy too.
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

I suppose posting one picture wouldn't hurt....finished product from the side

http://img64.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_0379.jpg

the seats and rear are next, I just ran out of time and energy this past weekend.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
lkailburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lkailburn
Re: Step By Step Pics On How to Paint Your Interior

damn dude that came out really really good.. i'm gonna be doing the same thing with my ek coupe.. which also happens to be vsm in color.. but i'm gonna use honda oem type k light grey.. its the color of the pillar bars.. i just need to find a spray paint that will match it
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

i was saying that if you resize it first(so people wont get mad from scrolling) then you copy and paste the stuff in the 3rd box down, the picture will appear on this thread.
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
Jas_M
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jas_M Send a message via Yahoo to Jas_M
Not usually my cup of tea, but it looks good. Looks very well done, and the guide is really good too.
Jas_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

I gotcha Tibby, I just messed up when I copied the link, and just didnt wanna re-do it....yeah...Im lazy like that.
Old 05-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
krstofer
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to krstofer Send a message via Yahoo to krstofer
Pretty Cool. What are the long term effects though? How well does it clean up? Have you shipped anything yet? What about really hot days? Does it get sticky?

The blue and grey look nice together. good job!

Krs

krstofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 PM   #9
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

Long Term Effects: Dont know, I've only had it in a week. I would imagine, more likely bet, that given the cheap paint that I used, it is likely to fade over the summer with constant light on it. Also, I would imagine that because I didn't clear coat or polish, it's likely to scratch more easily. All of these problems are easily avoided using better paint, or by being careful.

Clean up, easy, fold up your papers and drop cloth, throw them away. Done. The mess to clean up is only as difficult as you make it. I work very neatly and clean up as I go so....

Sticky? Not so much, in the first week its been humid and near 80 degree, haven't felt sticky paint yet.

By shipped, do you mean I paint it and ship it to someone? No, I haven't. Although I'm looking for a summer job, I might consider it. I imagine that tissue paper and bubble wrap would make shipping safe.

-wheel
Old 05-06-2004, 03:55 PM   #10
krstofer
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel1856
Clean up, easy, fold up your papers and drop cloth, throw them away. Done. The mess to clean up is only as difficult as you make it. I work very neatly and clean up as I go so....
-wheel
Actually I was speaking of cleaning up the car. Like if it get's dusty or whatever. What do you use to clean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel1856
By shipped, do you mean I paint it and ship it to someone? No, I haven't. Although I'm looking for a summer job, I might consider it. I imagine that tissue paper and bubble wrap would make shipping safe.
Ok, I think I should spell check next time. :-) I actually meant chipped. Have you chipped anything?

I didn't realize you JUST did this. It does look good though and on the ride home from work today I kept thinking, "What color should I paint the trim?"

Thanks for the FAQ!

Old 05-06-2004, 07:50 PM   #11
xproductionz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to xproductionz Send a message via MSN to xproductionz Send a message via Yahoo to xproductionz

i did the same thing to my car a while ago but used different steps.. i live in vegas so it was hot when i did it las summer.. a scorching 100 degrees hot.... in my steps though after i sanded i used poly plastic primer then after that dried a put on a glossy paint.. as for the sticky i had it for a year now and it never gets sticky.. never cler coated it either... and clean up is the same as cleaning the dash.. i use armor all for the entire dash including the painted parts
xproductionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
wheel1856
AF Enthusiast

My mistake I misunderstood your question. For now I plan on just using a swiffer pad (those things are awesome in the car!) then after another week er so I plan to go back to using Black Magic silicone...I use the gel in a bottle, no oversray and I like it better, either way, once the paint cures, shouldnt matter.

as far as chips, yes, one, cause Im an idiot. On the Driver side vent I chiiped it near the switch panels. I painted the vents the next day and only let them cure for a few hours, I slipped when putting the switch panels back in and chipped some paint, lil touch up paint covered it enough for me though. see, patience is a virtue. Otherwise nuthin, my zippo has been rattling around the door handle - nuthin and in the passenger side map carier I have a hard plastic CD case that one would think would chip it, but nothing. no problems yet, but with the cheap paint, I anticipate some over time.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #13
krstofer
AF Regular

Very Cool. Once I get the remote start fully installed I think I will do the same. I will probably start small with just the door handles or something. In case I don't like it, they are easily replaceable. :-)
Old 05-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #14
madmaxEKhatchB18C5
AF Enthusiast

hey wheel....did you think about doing the LARGE center dash (the upper piece)....i wanted to know if it seemed like too much of a pain in the ass to do that piece...like difficult screws to find, or problems with the passenger airbag area.....

great job on the paint....it looks sweeet....i'm gonna do the same in a few months.....great pics of the process too.....
madmaxEKhatchB18C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
lkailburn
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lkailburn

max-- you asking about paint the whole top dash? i think that would be too much of a pain if you ask me.. but it can be done.
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio