Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:27 PM   #31
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick13
Ummmm

All i'm gonna say is.................

Civics = economy and saving pennies when in Britain.

V8s etc = Torquey and Speed. But good god do they cost a lot to keep runnig.

All good cars, each has their own little perks and misgivings, there is no need for the whole slanging match.

Straight line the muscle car all the way, normal twisty road civic takes it every time.

oh and eckoman, I am glad that someone that drives the car has just written what i was about to explain. I agree whole heartedly with you, its that attitude of the driver not the actual car that make us think this. Please don't dump a name on someones head just because they drive a certain car.
I am glad you understand what I am saying, and am glad to see you agree. I hope that other people will see and understand this point as well. As you said, it is wrong for people to dump a name on you just becuase you drive a certain car. It's prefectly okay to dislike an attitude, but it's wrong to pigeon hole everyone just becuase their car happens to be the same make. A lot of people with those annoying attitudes don't mess around with cars because they are a car enthusiast, they do it because they "think it's cool." That's the wrong reason to do anything. You should do it becasue it's what you love, not because you want to be cool or fit in. When dsomeone starts to get like that, an attitude is not too far behind more often than not, regardless of what kind of car it is they drive.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:06 AM   #32
EvoZero
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTrujillo86
What's that supposed to mean?
Olds is dead. Just wondering if you're in mourning.

The Alero is an interesting case. At the time, it was the best that GM could do, and in a vacuum, it's a pretty good car. OK styling, decently designed interior, etc. But compare it to any conteporary car from a Japanese manufacturer, and it's easy to see why Olds is now shuttered. As an import fighter (Olds' designated role at GM before its demise), it just didn't stack up. It's unfortunate, really. I hate seeing a historic marque like Olds disappear because of GM's inteptitude at screwing cars together. Luckily, it looks like things are actually changing at the company now that Lutz is aboard. Hope it sticks.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #33
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

I'm a little sad that Oldsmobile is gone. I have a really good feeling that if GM keeps doing well, we'll see the nameplate later down the road (not for at least 10-15 years). For a very low 20's car, the Alero is great. I test drove many many used vehicles before I bought mine, and I seriously think that out of all of them, the Alero had the most soul. I drove a Honda Civic, Accord, Toyota Camry, VW Jetta (which I love but I could only afford a GL which came pretty bare), Pontiac Grand Am, ect. I had to go with four door vehicles because my insurance would have skyrocketed since I'm 17. Of course I think that if I were to test drive the V6 Accord (which I couldnt afford) I would have wanted that. But for my price range 12K-13.5K, I think I made the best choice. There was no way that I was going to find even a 4cly Accord with 25K miles on it, which my Alero had when I got it, and it was only a year old. I ended up paying only 10K.
Jeremy
JTrujillo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #34
ikou
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ikou

my take on things:

i think that we should look at the price of hondas vs gm. i've got a civic because i could buy a 2000 si for $5,900 and modify it, and still have spent under $15k. not because i love civics, but because i'm 16 and just don't have enough cash to pay for gas, insurance, and mods of a muscle car. but just as a note, my dream car is a corvette
ikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:15 AM   #35
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

Personally, I don't spend much more on gas than if I had an average 4cly engine and I drive 15 miles to school and back all city.

Jeremy
Old 05-09-2004, 12:39 AM   #36
erastusboy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to erastusboy

you all are retarded you dont know anything about either side and are making amazing generalizations that astonish me you can make any car fast honestly any car some just take a really long time to and some come that way or maybe some people like to turn or somethign i dunno but fuck you guys
erastusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:42 AM   #37
erastusboy
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to erastusboy

sorry not all of you are retarded just the ones that are making broad sweeping generalizations the posts toward the end are starting to make sense
erastusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 12:50 AM   #38
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikou
my take on things:

i think that we should look at the price of hondas vs gm. i've got a civic because i could buy a 2000 si for $5,900 and modify it, and still have spent under $15k. not because i love civics, but because i'm 16 and just don't have enough cash to pay for gas, insurance, and mods of a muscle car. but just as a note, my dream car is a corvette
Mods arent expensive. Fox body stangs sell for under $5k and you can have it running 12s with $2k put into it. Gas on the other hand is relative to how much pedal you give it.

You like what you like. Youre still going to spend money on making it fast.
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:15 AM   #39
MunG35
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MunG35 Send a message via Yahoo to MunG35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunG35
au contraire. honadas take more skill to build then some shitty as big block V8... you actually have to THINK when u build these cars on how to make em fun to drive and low gas mileage thus that was how VTEC was introduced. They dont need to go by the terms like v8 = small penis... v10 = near invisible... and so on... drive a 4 cyl... its the manly thing to do! =D

Honda Guy 4 Life!

taking back what i said earlier... i agree with everyone... its the attitude of the driver not the car... v8s are nice when used properly and not for compensation. I hate guys who think they're all that cuz they got 8.1L suburban and think they own the road so they can cut me off.. man that pisses me off.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:39 PM   #40
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
Re: Re: Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunG35
taking back what i said earlier... i agree with everyone... its the attitude of the driver not the car... v8s are nice when used properly and not for compensation. I hate guys who think they're all that cuz they got 8.1L suburban and think they own the road so they can cut me off.. man that pisses me off.
Ahh yes...the old SUV barrelling down on the compact or sedan to push them out of the way...all because they think they are bigger and they can. We get a lot of people and their SUV's doing that around here.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 02:30 AM   #41
lazysmurff
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lazysmurff

again, we're back to sweeping generalizations.

ill remind the domestic fans, that for every civic ex with a 4 foot wing and a rice can exhaust thinking they can pull on your pushrod, there is a 6 cylinder mustang or camaro thinking they can pull on my prelude.

the "honda racer" image is not just for honda owners. ive seen several mustang, camaro, and even corvette (not to mention cavalier and neon *snicker*) owners that fit the bill just as well.

and import owners who scream "youll kick my ass in the quarter, but youll never catch me on the street" ill remind you that pontiac trans am/camaro ss have done better on countless road courses than supras, 240's and S2000's.

though i'll take my 35 MPG (in the city!) over a 10 second pushrod any day
Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #42
EvoZero
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkShadow
Mods arent expensive. Fox body stangs sell for under $5k and you can have it running 12s with $2k put into it. Gas on the other hand is relative to how much pedal you give it.
I think you're exaggerating to make a point here, but I know what you're saying. By the same argument, I could go out and buy a 10-year-old Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo for about $3,000 and throw a similar amount of money at it for similar results. Which just proves that nobody is better and this whole debate is just a pointless pissing match.

Quote:
You like what you like. Youre still going to spend money on making it fast.
Yup.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #43
DkShadow
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Peice Of Junk Hondas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoZero
I think you're exaggerating to make a point here, but I know what you're saying. By the same argument, I could go out and buy a 10-year-old Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo for about $3,000 and throw a similar amount of money at it for similar results. Which just proves that nobody is better and this whole debate is just a pointless pissing match.

Yup.
Actually Im not exaggerating. I could have had a way, way faster car than I have now but I wanted to get something new. 5.0 stangs are dirt cheap to build up.

Later on this year Im going to be buying a fox body stang (5spd Lx here sell for $2-3k in really good condition) and build it up since what Im planning to do to my car will void the shit out of my warranty and leave me with a car thats not designed for daily driving. I got some cash laying around.
DkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #44
oToyotaGTo
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to oToyotaGTo

alright, back in the post i saw someone making fun of a civic reving to 6k. have you ever seen the Spoon civic? it revs to 12k, 2 times more than your clear "estimate".

the thing is....

Muscle cars = hard steel, power. meaning that its all beef, little technology. just the pistons, and block, thats all they do.

import cars = technology. they have more than the engine powering them, like high tech ECUs, and turbos.

its all about what you want, your personality. do you want low-tech, plain power, or hi-tech, advanced power.
oToyotaGTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 AM   #45
JTrujillo86
AF Enthusiast

That's funny you talk about technology because if you knew anything about DOHC and OHV engines, you would know, like I stated earlier, the DOHC design is much older than that of the OHV. Also, it's pretty funny you bring up turbos. You need that crap to do what our naturally asperated engines do already.

Jeremy

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General