Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 03:56 PM   #1
chrismerkle
AF Regular

LOUDEST subs on the market

anyone know of the loudest subs on the market? im talkin loud as hell...able to break all the windows in my car... (i will get plexiglass)

so everybody out there.. whats the loudest???
Old 11-21-2003, 03:58 PM   #2
Haibane
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Haibane
Re: LOUDEST subs on the market

2 JL 13 will blow your windows out
I like the Brahma 15 though for loud
Haibane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
ToyTundra
AF Enthusiast

ToyTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
chrismerkle
AF Regular

dang, thats a huuuuge bi*ch
Old 11-21-2003, 07:40 PM   #5
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

the brahma holds the world record for loudest sub, and one of those will satisfy your needs if you set it up right.
loismustdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

eD Q
RE MT
Many others

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 02:50 PM   #7
chrismerkle
AF Regular

how much does a brahma go for?
Old 11-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #8
Haibane
AF Fanatic

About 459 for a single 15
Old 11-22-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
Ground Rat
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Ground Rat

Here you go man: http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco.../adire_brahma/.

I was thinking about getting one myself. Do you think one will be enough for my single cab fullsize pickup? Also, I listen to rap, hip-hop, rock, metal and techno, but 70% of the time rock. Do I want a 12" or a 15"? Also I love deep bass. Can the 12" still do that? Also, would a sealed box be the best way to go?
'92 Typhoon #591
Ground Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #10
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
volume (loudness) for a sub sytem is a combination of speaker/box/vehicle. Matching the box and speaker together, and the placement of the box is critical. If you have money, seems like the brahma or 13W7 with a massive amp is the common way to go.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #11
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: LOUDEST subs on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Rat
Here you go man: http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco.../adire_brahma/.

I was thinking about getting one myself. Do you think one will be enough for my single cab fullsize pickup? Also, I listen to rap, hip-hop, rock, metal and techno, but 70% of the time rock. Do I want a 12" or a 15"? Also I love deep bass. Can the 12" still do that? Also, would a sealed box be the best way to go?
12 or 15 doesn't matter, it's a common misconception that the larger cone causes a drop in transient response, it's frankly not true. Same goes for deep bass, if you get a quality woofer a 12 can play just as low as any 15 or 18. If you want deep bass then a ported box tuned to around 25Hz would be a good bet. For many subs this will cause them to sound a bit boomy, but for the supersubs that you're looking at it shouldn't hurt the SQ much at all.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 11-23-2003, 12:33 AM   #12
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg

for deep low end, i like 15's. 15's>12>10>8>6.5>4>iono..

15's drops lower than 12's of the same model. i just like watching the bobbling heads on the dash go crazy. lol
Old 11-23-2003, 12:58 AM   #13
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Well 15's will be louder than 12's at all frequencies, and once you go subsonic it might be hard to feel the bass from a 12 anymore but you can still feel the 15. So it might seem like they go lower, but they're just louder at those low freq because of the utter dominance in cone area. Put a 15 against 2 12's of the same model and it would be a different story. The eD12A can play utterly flat down to 9Hz, if the 15A can go lower than that then I'm frightened.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 11-23-2003, 01:38 AM   #14
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg

woofer for woofer, the 15" will always go lower than the 12" model of the same kind. speakers are mass controlled over the resonance frequency.under the resonance, its suspension controlled. increasing the mass (easiest way is to increase Mmd) will lower the Fs (hence why from Fs and up, its mass controlled) but you will lose sensitivity. but of course the extra cone area from the 15" gains back that lost. obviously a 15" has more cone area than a 12" so its assumed that the 15" has more mass on the diaphram therefore lower Fs. thats the reason why 15's go lower because of mass. thats unless the manufactor decides to use a softer suspension to bring down the Fs.

its been done lots of time to acheive that goal. a 15" will always go lower than a 12". its a misconception that a 12" will go just as low as a 15" (neglecting SPL differences). only way is to add mass, soften the suspension, or EQ the system to get the same response.

with that in mind, the 12" should have a natural roll-off sooner than the 15". thats what we refer to as "going lower" i guess. the roll-off point.

now SPL would be different obviously. like you said. 2 12's would have a much better time playing say 20hz than a single 15" due to the increased transfer function. none the less still loud as heck. lol
Old 11-23-2003, 06:55 AM   #15
Haibane
AF Fanatic

The two big audio enthusiasts go head to head, lol. I have to say I agree wit Gsteg on the 15" going lower, most every sub I have looked at that is good, allows that their subs work that way, with more mass etc...