Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 07:30 PM   #1
supersized2001
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to supersized2001
Talking

Sorry but I couldn't resist starting a new thread. I didn't want Reaper being the only one starting thread on hear. I'm still considering doing the SAS but I'm wondering if it's really work it. I'm thinking of just seeing about swaping out the steering setup for something else and save a lot of money that I don't have to spend anyway. I might try some adjustable shocks to help with the front end. I'm also worried about the ride after swapping everything for leafs instead of the coil setup. It would really suck to have the truck drive worse after spending all that money and time swappping it out.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:59 PM   #2
Tacoma21
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tacoma21
Quote:
Originally posted by supersized2001
Sorry but I couldn't resist starting a new thread. I didn't want Reaper being the only one starting thread on hear. I'm still considering doing the SAS but I'm wondering if it's really work it. I'm thinking of just seeing about swaping out the steering setup for something else and save a lot of money that I don't have to spend anyway. I might try some adjustable shocks to help with the front end. I'm also worried about the ride after swapping everything for leafs instead of the coil setup. It would really suck to have the truck drive worse after spending all that money and time swappping it out.

Hows it goin man. I can see where you are having your dilemna. In my opinion, if you plan on going higher with bigger meats, then go SAS. The IFS has its drawbacks, but it is a pretty solid setup. It did the job on your 96, and besides, with the terrain, you wheel in, the benifits of the SAS would not be noticed as much. Ultimateley, it is your desicion, and you still have one of the baddest trucks whether its solid or IFS.

1999 Toyota Tacoma SR5
2.7 5-speed Extracab
32x11.50 BFG Muds
Tacoma21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 02:09 PM   #3
Reaper
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Reaper Send a message via Yahoo to Reaper
Nah, in your case I would say go with the new steering instead. Maybe something to help the ride. You live in Florida after all, not to many areas where a front solid axle is going to really matter...

I can't wait til I get my 4x2 converted
Hopefully by the end of the summer. Getting a locker in a week or two, next comes 4.88 R&P, then I am going to start finding the parts I need to do the conversion

"Reaper"
2000 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
4.5" of lift, 33x12.50 BFG MT's, Rock Crawler rims...

Tacoma Territory - TX Chapter
Hill Country Off-Road
4x2 Pre-Runner Club
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 02:38 PM   #4
supersized2001
AF Newbie

why are you going with 4:88s? are you going with larger tires soon or just to help the 2.7 out with the tires your running? The locker should really help out. What kind are you going with. I would suggest the lock-right.
Old 03-30-2001, 02:54 PM   #5
Reaper
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Reaper Send a message via Yahoo to Reaper
Quote:
Originally posted by supersized2001
why are you going with 4:88s? are you going with larger tires soon or just to help the 2.7 out with the tires your running? The locker should really help out. What kind are you going with. I would suggest the lock-right.
Yea I have 4.30 right now. Figure all I really need is 4.56 but if I am going to upgrade might as well get a little extra out of it. And as you say, I hope it helps my 2.7 out...

As for which locker I am getting, a Lock-right. Found a guy who can get them wholesale. $275 out the door ! Not bad huh ??

I can get the gear for $145 but only if I do the install myself. If I have to take it somewhere then they will probably want to buy the gear...

Hey do you know how to change out the gears ?? If so can you give me a few pointers, maybe do a small write up for me ?? I would like to do it myself if I can and it isn't too hard.

Is there any special tools I will need ?? If so, are they something I can rent at an AutoZone or something ??

And last but not least, do I HAVE to replace my bearings ?? I only have 16,000 miles and have been using syn gear oil. I imagine the bearings are still in good shape. I ask becasue one guy wanted to add that on the charge. He was going to charge me $700...

The parts and labor on the R&P only would be $698.81 w/tax, oil & shipping.
The total for parts and labor w/ the locker would be $1005.71.

Here are the prices you requested:

Lock Rite $315
4.88 R&P $174
Brng. Kit (w/ toyota Brngs.) $210
Parts Total $699

Less 10% -$70

TOTAL (+tax & ship) $629

Labor would be $290 +oil w/ your discount.

"Reaper"
2000 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
4.5" of lift, 33x12.50 BFG MT's, Rock Crawler rims...

Tacoma Territory - TX Chapter
Hill Country Off-Road
4x2 Pre-Runner Club
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2001, 03:00 PM   #6
supersized2001
AF Newbie

Not sure about the bearings. Id say you should change them and that they should run a little cheaper than that. If I was you I would just get the locker and install that yourself. The gears are a lot harder to install and will have to have the backlash set wich I'm not to sure how to do that. I'm going to have my uncle install mine since he knows how to do all that.

As for the price you have it doesn't sound to bad though.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma