Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
ebes
AF Newbie

which is better rhino or line-x spray on liner, need help to choose

i have a 2000 tacoma reg cab with the plastic bed liner, i was thinking of either getting a rhino or line-x spray on liner. which is better, which will not fade as fast, and which is tougher. also i am debating on whether to get over the rail or under the rail, because in the winter i need a bed cover, i am looking into an extang tuff tonno III cover for $200 online, any opinions on this? some bed covers work with over the rail spray on liner and some do not. if i don't get it over the rail, the bed cover will fit fine, but the metal frame, i am told will eventually rub against the truck rail and stratch it, also it can rust. now with over the rail spray on liner the rail will be protected, but i don't know if the bed cover i am looking into will fit properly. ANY INFO ON RHINO OR LINE-X SPRAY ON LINERS, OR INFO ON WHETHER OVER OR UNDER THE RAIL IS BEST WITH A EXTANG TUFF TONNO III COVER WILL BE HELPFUL. THANKKYOU
ebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:06 PM   #2
MARSH_HUNTR
AF Newbie

Re: which is better rhino or line-x spray on liner, need help to choose

seen a few really bad rhino liners, they spray them in cold and the drip and run, I have a line-x in my truck and my boat and I love it line-x is sprayed in hot and it looks great
MARSH_HUNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 05:05 AM   #3
Tred
AF Newbie

My 02 has Line-X. From what I heard Line-X is thinner than Rhino, therefore lighter as well.
Tred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:08 AM   #4
Live2Fish
AF Newbie

i got a 2002 tacoma prerunner with a rhino liner and to me it was the best liner so thats the one i got. but line x is a good brand too. ive had my liner for 2 years now and havent had any problems with it. and i would definitely go over the rail with it. it cost a little bit more but its worth it in the end. it looks better and if u dont put it over the rail youll end up scratching the rail. ive seen it happen. hope the advice helps
Live2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
Nardog
AF Newbie

I had a Rhino Liner in my 98 Tacoma and put a Line-X in my 2003 Silverado because I couldn't get an appointment at the Rhino Liner place for 6 weeks.
I liked the look of the Line-X better but I thought the Rhino Liner was more durable.
The Rhino Liner was more like hard rubber and the Line-X was like hard abrasive plastic. I found that the Rhino Liner would flex where the Line-X would be cut by things like cinder blocks. I hauled my gas grill's propane tank 3 miles to get it filled and when I got back I noticed that it left permanent marks where it sat in the bed (Tied to the bed tie down loops) I used to do the same thing for years with the Rhino Liner and it never left a mark.
Also, I picked up a pre hung door and laid it down on the Line-X bed and had to drag it on the surface about 2 feet to get a good grip on the door when I was taking it out of the truck and the Line-X liner acted like a file and took all the paint off the door frame wher I slid it.
Nardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:53 PM   #6
99Tacoma_Austin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 99Tacoma_Austin Send a message via Yahoo to 99Tacoma_Austin
Just remember

I have a friend with a Tundra and a spray in bed.

he now wished he had a plastinc one. The surface is rough on smooth object he carries and it chips on hard impacts.

I wanted to get one until I saw the condition of his, although his may be an abnormality.
99Tacoma_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #7
conviare
AF Newbie

I've been researching spray-in bedliners for my truck and I have decided that Armorthane seems superior to Rhinoliner and Line-X. Can anyone comment on experience with Armorthane?
conviare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #8
TacomaPilot
AF Newbie

I had a Rhino Liner on my old pick-up and now currently have a Defender liner in my truck, which appears to be very similar to Line-X. I don't know anything about Defender, it was already in the truck when I bought it used. The Rhino was definately thicker, and had more of a rubber texture, but that did harden over time, although not as hard or rough as the Line-X. Since Line-X is thinner, it does provide a better appearance. I don't know anything about how the Line-X brand appears over time, but the Defender and Rhino both faded some over time, nothing bad, but it doesn't stay looking like new. I did have a problem with abnormal wear on the Rhino, but they re-sprayed it with no hassels and no cost since it was under its lifetime warrenty. Maybe just go with who will give you a better deal since I can't really seeing one being better than the other.

As far as how the liner going over the rail will impact a bed cover, maybe the best thing to do is to contact the company of the bed cover and ask them, they might have been asked that before. Due to the texture of the bed liners however, I doubt you would get a water-tight seal along the rail edges. Both of my trucks have had over the rail, and I really like having it.

As far as the guy who has a friend with the Tundra and the bad liner, was it a spray on or was it a do-it-yourself roll on? I have seen the DYI liners like Herculiner not hold up so well. Also there are some places that spray in the liner and are not as well known or experienced so their product does not come out as well.
TacomaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Line-X Expert
AF Newbie

only part of the answer is the brand - 3/4 of it is "who is doing it" ! Definitly check out the shop before making an appointment. But of course I'm going to say Line-X is the Best. Check out www.linexpics.com to see what a perfect spray on bedliner looks like.
Line-X Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
dynoman1
AF Newbie

I have a REflex spray liner in my 02 Ranger, in my opinion it's better than either Rhino or LineX. It dosn't chip like the LineX and it hasn't faded like Rhino does, it's been in there for more than 2 years, still looks great.
I'd recommend you check out a local Reflex dealer.
dynoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
mreed8
AF Newbie

looks like i'll be using line-x as well
mreed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #12
rr7williams
AF Newbie

Smile Re: which is better rhino or line-x spray on liner, need help to choose

I used Qwikliner spray on bedliner. QWIK Liner is a permanently bonded a protective barrier between vehicle and the outside environment, protecting your investment from rust, dents, scratches, and chemical corrosion. Unlike drop-in liners that promote payload slippage, and allow moisture and dirt to get trapped underneath causing rust and corrosion.
rr7williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
jdmccright
The RustBuster

This is an opinion thread, so please keep your posts to your actual experiences, good and bad. Don't just copy/paste from the product's website as we can all find that info...a link is fine. Otherwise it looks like spam which will get you banned. Thanks!
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.

Last edited by jdmccright; 07-20-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: clarified reason for post
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #14
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaPilot View Post
but the Defender and Rhino both faded some over time, nothing bad, but it doesn't stay looking like new. I did have a problem with abnormal wear on the Rhino, but they re-sprayed it with no hassels and no cost since it was under its lifetime warrenty.
key words: lifetime warranty thanks for sharing your experiences; i'll be going for this one in the future
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma