Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Shop Owner Advice Discuss various issues relating to running an auto shop with other shop owners/employees.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #1
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

Opinion on synthetic oil

A lot of car manufacturers are sending engines from the factory with synthetic oil. Now the oil changes are more expensive, but you supposedly can drive more miles between oil changes. What is better overall for the car? I know my car won't be serviced as regular and other things will be neglected until I bring my car in for an oil change.

Jason
Old 05-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman
Re: Opinion on synthetic oil

Run Synthetid for ~7000 miles in my truck before it starts needing a change. I could jsut change the filter and i could go for another 4,000 probably
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
Mr Wiggl3s
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mr Wiggl3s

Synthedic oil is good on some cars, if you dont get the right/good stuff it will mess you up big time, someone had that problem. It was a big thread about synthedic oil
Mr Wiggl3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
TEXAS-HOTROD
AF Regular

I use Amsoil synthetic in everything we have. My wife drives a 90mile round trip every day to work and back. Using the synthetic oil and Amsoil oil filter extends oil intervals to 25K miles (yes, it's 25,000 miles). When our vehicles ('01 Chevy HD1500/ '05 Tahoe) were new I did oil changes at 1K miles to get rid of the break-in junk. I refilled w/Castrol 10/40 and went another 5K miles. My wife is on her 3rd Tahoe. The other 2 had over 100Ks, ran fine, and had no oil related issues (no issues related to anything).

From then on they've been on Amsoil. The oil does get dark after a while, and since the oil filters are pretty small (LS-1 engines), I change oil filters at about every 8K miles. I drain the old oil (after 25Ks), install a "cheap" oil filter and fill it w/Castrol oil. Let it run for 1/2 hour and then drain the "flush" oil. Refill it w/synthetic, install the good filter and it's good to go for another 8Ks.
I have a customer that uses Amsoil, and he never keeps track of his mileage. He has gone as much as 35K+ on oil and filter on several occasions. His truck (Z-71) came in for a leaking intake gasket. It had 150K+ miles on it w/not a bit of build up under the intake. that to me was proof that the oil does what they claim.

I use it in my jet ski, the bike, and the Corvette. Oh, my john Deere lawn tractor gets it too. The Vette doesn't see as many miles as the others, so it's changed once a year.
TEXAS-HOTROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Tuffdrvr88
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Tuffdrvr88

I like amsoil so much i became a dealer. I use it my cars and my customers cars. Everything form old 67 Camaros to the new toyota tundras. The oil can go up to 25,000 miles and Amsoil says they will pay for a repair if it is caused by their oil. And if your a shop owner and sell retail they will give you a better price and offer you commission credit on what you sell. There is no downside to this oil. Plus i get a mile a gallon better on my vehicles with a smoother idle. Amsoils been around the longest too, can't lose. Hope this helps.

Tuffdrvr88 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Shop Owner Advice