My 92 PA is currently at my mechanic but he is having trouble figuring out what is wrong partly due to well meaning friends disconnecting the battery thinking it was a glitch that might clear its self.... All trouble codes cleared,
Battery output, alternator and charging circuit all seam to be OK. Crank and cam shaft sensors have been manually checked and are not a problem.... Fuel pressure is only slightly low - expected for the age of the vehicle. Next step is to manually check the ignition control module.
Short history of problem:
Purchased used in Sept 2011. Vehicle had excellent maint and never had a starting problem. I had some trouble starting it a few days ago... seamed to not be getting fuel or spark but eventually started. Later the same day it cranked but would not start. No spark was confirmed prior to disconnecting the battery. Besides the ignition control module what else might cause it to have no spark? And act up briefly before failing completely?
if you have a carnk sensor problem you also will have no injection pulses which can be checked with a noid light if injectors are not buried under a plenum.disconecting battery will not affect crank sensor unless you had a computer(PCM)problem.......key on engine off is your check engine light on during bulb check when it will not start......your mechanic should have a good scan tool and look at crank sensor on data pid and during cranking it should state that.pretty easy......if pcm is stating crank and then would have to troubleshoot the crank circuit from crank sensor including crank sensor including wiring including the pcm itself and maybe powers and grounds.
troubleshoot the crank circuit from crank sensor including crank sensor including wiring including the pcm itself and maybe powers and grounds.
My vehicle is working fine now. My mechanic did run most of the tests you mentioned including disconnecting each sensor and manually checking each wire. After manually checking the ignition control module wiring and cleaning connections the darned thing started. It was hot the day it acted up before failing to start at all. Its possible that dirty connectors plus heat just caused a connection to be lost... cleaning and reconnecting cleared the problem.