Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Stale Trooper
AF Regular

Is anyone using the 'replacement' LED light bulbs?

Is anyone using the 'replacement' LED light bulbs such as these?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3157-...item2a11f8c29e

Did you have to buy anything beyond the bulbs for them to work?

I bought some years ago at Wally-World, but they required an additional resistor or something that was 4X the price of the bulbs. I'm hoping maybe someone is making them with built in adaptors now?

It's White, with a black grille, a spotlight, and the butt is black. Need a picture? Thought not
Stale Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion
Re: Is anyone using the 'replacement' LED light bulbs?

I never tried any LED bulbs. HIDs usually require a lot of extra work, not sure about the LEDs.

I rewired my headlights to bypass the Lighting Control Module (LCM). When I turn on my headlights, it engages a relay which is wired to the battery (through a 20-amp fuse), and then to the headlights. High beams are wired in the same way through a seperate fuse and relay. The effect is SIGNIFICANTLY improved light output. You are guaranteed to notice it over any sort of headlights you can buy. All of this can be done for under $50.

Here are some images of the harness that a friend made me. It isn't hard to make. This is a drop-in one he made for me so I did not have to cut any wires, or solder anything. If you go the home-made route, it won't take more than a few hours with a soldering iron and some wire cutters.

http://richgannon.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=17

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue)(Fusion For This Useful Post:
Stale Trooper (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Stale Trooper
AF Regular

Hey Blue!
Thanks for the 'Relay tip'!, I'd been looking for that for some time as well; could you have your friend add a parts list (IE: wire sizes, and connector sources, etc.) and show how the stock wiring was used to control everything? Please. Give the response on here please.

My origional question was in reference to the LED replacement lightbulb units such as sold on Ebay for other exterior lighting (park/turn, & brake lights).

Thanks!

It's White, with a black grille, a spotlight, and the butt is black. Need a picture? Thought not

Last edited by Stale Trooper; 10-12-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: add response info
Old 10-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Blue)(Fusion
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blue)(Fusion Send a message via Yahoo to Blue)(Fusion

I can't site the other forums on these forums per policy, but if you Google "crownvic headlight relay harness" you will find plenty of information. You may have to join to see the "howto" data.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
- 119k / 14.89s @ 92.11MPH [ pictures | videos ]
> Dual Flowmaster Delta 40s / J-Mod / PI Intake Manifold & Cams / Marauder Air Box & 80mm MAF / 3.55 Trac-Lok
> Bumper Tuck / Steeda UD Pulleys / CVPI Zip Tube / Ported & Polished Plenum / BBK 70mm TB
> BOC 93 Octane Tune / Headlight Relay Upgrade / 17mm rear stabilizer bar / Heinous Aluminum Billet Rear Control Arms
> CVPI aluminum driveshaft

Blue)(Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue)(Fusion For This Useful Post:
Stale Trooper (10-30-2011)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Stale Trooper
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinwoodKellon View Post
Many of the light fixtures in my house use the small Candelabra base bulbs. Although they use 20-25w per incandescent bulb, that adds up to 50w and 100w for several of the rooms (and chandeliers). ALL of these bulbs have small, individual Flexible LED Strip Lights shades covering the bulbs.

I've replaced most of the standard base incandescent bulbs with compact florescent bulbs to save on energy costs, and I want to do the same with these bulbs. I know there are compact florescent bulbs are available in this size, but I'm curious about venturing into led strip territory even if it costs extra in the short term. I'm most interested in long-term savings.

Normally, high density led are used for directional lighting, but with the lamp shades, is it possible to get a similar amount of light? If yes, where can I find these bulbs?
Linwood, Not trying to be rude here, but what do your house lights & fixtures have to do with automotive applications?

In answer to your question though; do a 'Google' or 'Bing' search for LED home light bulbs, there are many sites now that offer them. Just look for 'lumens', 'Kelvin' ratings, and candlepower to select the best "bulb" for your needs. The higer each of the above listed ratings are, the brighter the bulb. To the best of my knowledge (and I have researched LED lights for much the same reasons as you), the current offerings aren't all that effective, but progress is often being made , and there could be something I have not seen yet.

Again, I don't mean to be rude, and you probably made an honest mistake in this posting, but this is an automotive forum.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Try www.tmart.com, for LED Auto and home.
Regular light bulbs waste too much power and generate heat when your trying to keep a house cool.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Berldn
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Berldn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Try _____, for LED Auto and home.
Regular light bulbs waste too much power and generate heat when your trying to keep a house cool.
100 percent agree. LED is better to use than bulbs.

http://www.niceledlights.com

Last edited by Berldn; 06-08-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Berldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
TheBigfut
AF Newbie

Having issues with my '93 Crown Vic's headlights. Went to follow the link earlier in this post so I could get brighter headlights by bypassing the LCM and it's now a dead link. Can anyone help me out or will it be different for my '93 from the '99 ?
TheBigfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Stale Trooper
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigfut View Post
Having issues with my '93 Crown Vic's headlights. Went to follow the link earlier in this post so I could get brighter headlights by bypassing the LCM and it's now a dead link. Can anyone help me out or will it be different for my '93 from the '99 ?
Hey Big! I think I've found the link you were looking for, or at least one that covers the question of lights & lighting relay use quite well.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html I found this by Googling "relay to run headlights" for additional Information resources. Just be sure to use good quality parts.

I would also suggest doing this only on the high beams side until you (a) get it working, and (b) check you local regulations to make sure you will be legal.

(usual follow up dissertation on not being liable, follow all safety procedures, don't drink & drive, use a condom, come in out of the rain, and don't run with scissors)
Good Luck!