Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
pok150
AF Newbie

02 OIL overfill!!!

Hi everyone,
Have potential problem here, helped my Grandfather change the oil in his 02 PreRunner with the 3.4v6. He's never done it on this truck as he just bought it in May. Anyway he drained what he thought was the oil crankcase but was actually the tranny fluid. So I added the 5.5qts for him after he thought he drained it. We did this outside and it started raining so we went inside. My grandpa decided to run the truck after the rain stopped so we went to the gas station and back. On the way back the tailpipe smoked and tranny was skipping, probably a total of 2 miles of driving at 35mph. When we got back I looked under the truck with my grandpa and together we figured out our huge mistake. I immediatly drained the oil totally(all 11qt) and ran and got new oil and filter and 10qts of ATF. Redid oil change and filled ATF all to proper marks. Drove the truck and the smoke went away and tranny seems fine, wondering if truck will be all right or what I should look for. I did not see any foam in the oil and there is no leaking anywhere.

Thanks for the Help
pok150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
TcmaBoy
AF - Advisor

Re: 02 OIL overfill!!!

Wow.....

I would keep looking for leaks. Pick up a cheap oil pressure gauge at an autoparts store and check to make sure you are still getting good pressure. You should be able to remove the stock oil press sender and tap it in. It is located right next to the filter. Keep an eye on your oil levles. Hopefuly you didn't blow any seals.

You might want to take the truck to a trans shop and have them check it over.

Please wheel responsibly.
http://www.treadlightly.org/
TcmaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:39 PM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: 02 OIL overfill!!!

Removing the transmission drain plug doesn't drain all the oil from the torque converter so having low ATF for a few miles probably didn't hurt the transmission. It may be a good idea to have it checked as Tcmaboy suggested.

About 25 years ago I drained the trans-axle in a new Toyota Tercel thinking it was the engine drain plug. I figured out the problem before adding engine oil. As I recall the gear oil smell made me think something wasn't right. Good luck.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma