Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
paho
AF Newbie

Angry '91 - Fuel Injector won't work.

I have a 1991 Geo Metro Lsi, and it won't start... I've finally narrowed it down to the fuel injector ... it won't work. It's getting juice - it has two wires coming in, one's hot and the other, which goes to the computer, pulsates. The fuel pump relay is shot, but I can bypass it with jumpers, although I wonder if that mixes up the messages to the computer so it won't let the injecter work or something... if anyone has any ideas, please help. Thanks a lot.
paho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

Pick up a new relay box from the junkyard(fuse box under the hood). should be no more than $10. The FI relay is also tied into the fuel pump. So if one won't work, the other prolly won't either. Pick up one of those boxes and lemme know how it goes.
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
paho
AF Newbie

Re: '91 - Fuel Injector won't work.

Thanks for your response, but new info has come to light. It seems that the fuel pump relay works, it's just not getting the ground signal from the computer that it needs to turn on. The same seems to be for the fuel injector, so my only thoughts now are that the computer's not grounded, which I'll check next (as soon as I have the time...) or that the computer's shot. Any other ideas would be really helpful. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

Your fuel injector resistor could be shot too. It's the little box with heat fins behind your drivers side strut tower. Those aren't too un-common to crack. Check the resistance in the metro manual, and see if it's within spec with an ohm-meter.
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 PM   #5
paho
AF Newbie

I have learned that the fuel pump relay wasn't coming on because I wasn't starting the car, so it's not a problem with the computer. Also, I can start the car now, but I need to hold down the gas or it just dies, so the fuel injector is working at least somewhat. I got the engine code read, and it flashes the light twice then 3 times... neither of which correspond to any engine codes (which start at 12 flashes). Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:56 PM   #6
mcalvo
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to mcalvo Send a message via Yahoo to mcalvo

Paho:
Check this out bro.
http://www.seanster.com/scantool/ecm-codes.html

Hope it helps you out.

MC
mcalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 01:37 AM   #7
paho
AF Newbie

Hmm...the code it was giving me was for the manifold air temp sensor, i've discovered, but it doesn't give me code 12 first telling me that it works, and i replaced the sensor, to no avail. My best guess is that it needs a new computer, anyone have any alternative ideas? thanks greatly.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro