Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #1
kenandjenn
AF Newbie

Question Wrong tranny in 2000 Prerunner?

Hello, I just bought a 2000 Prerunner the other day. It has the 2.7L engine and is an Xtra Cab. I tried to change the tranny fluid today but noticed that the filter kit that the parts store sold me was not like the filter that came off my truck. After looking at some diagrams, my filter appears to be the filter that belongs to a 1990-1994 tranny. The tranny itself says 3Z on it. The pan has 19 bolts. I was told the Tranny behind the 2.7L should have 20 bolts for the pan. It shifts good and the different filter is the only thing that made my notice this. If the previous tranny went bad, I wonder why they did not just rebuild it or put in a new tranny that was the same type. I would assume that a tranny that old wouldn't even work behind my 2.7L since it's a newer motor. Anyone have any idea which tranny I might have? The Filter has 3 holes in it with cork around them. The new filter I bought only has 2 holes. The pan gasket works fine though from the new filter kit. Apparently if It is an older tranny it is very similar to the tranny that came behind the 2.7L engine. I'm clueless on this one.
kenandjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
'03DC3.4TRD4X4
AF Enthusiast

I'm guessing you did not get your parts from Toyota. First mistake. ALWAYS use Toyota parts!!! You have the factory installed tranny in your prerunner. No worries. If I were buying your used Toyota Truck, I would run, not walk, away if I saw anything but a Toyota part on the truck. I have put 750,000 miles on Toyota trucks and I do all of my own maintenance and repairs so I know from experience and have definitely learned things the HARD WAY!!!
'03DC3.4TRD4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:26 AM   #3
evilmind
AF Newbie

owning a prerunner i give you this piece of advise. if you are going to go to a place other than toyota for parts know in advance the oem part # you need so the parts store can match it properly. most part stores only have knowledge of either 2 or 4 wheel drive where as a prerunner has both parts on it. i found this out the same way, buy a part then take it back. the hard thing is knowing which parts on your truck match up with 2 and which with 4 wheel drive. on e bay you can buy service sheets that tell you the part # of every part on your truck. they are not the same for every model so make sure you get the right one. good luck.
evilmind is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma