Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
dpj52190
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to dpj52190 Send a message via Yahoo to dpj52190
Cool subwoofer location and amp frequency

Hi, I have a sony xplod 420U Player, JBL 6.5 (60watts rms) front speakers, Sony xplod 9x6(52 watts) rear speakers, Rockford Fortage 2/1 channel P3001 ( ~300 watts) amplifier, 1 12" JBL woofer with tube 2 2" diamater ported holes enclosure(don't know the watts).
Since my woofer enclosure is tubular, i can't keep it in place in trunk. So I bought a rubber strings( the ones bikers use to hold things on bike) from autozone and hanged the woofer to the holes in the trunk(top). The woofer touches bottom but there is 1/4" string in between. Could keeping the enclosure 100% touching to ground improve bass?. I also have the woofer all the way to front( right behind the back seat, expect there is amplifier between the rear seat and woofer.) Can the location of the woofer in trunk make any difference in improving bass? If yes, then where should I move it?
One important question, How come I can hear lots of bass when i open the trunk(listening from the back of the car) and barely 20% when i listen to it in the driver's seat (closed trunk)? Is there anythink I sould do?

Last question, What frequency should i set the amplifier to so i get the most bass without many lyrics. Right now about 80-160 Hz sounds the best when i test it. what's yours set to?

I think i got used to the new amp and woofer so that's y i think the bass went down..

thanks alot for the HELP

Last edited by dpj52190; 10-16-2008 at 01:31 AM.
dpj52190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
pimprolla112
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pimprolla112 Send a message via MSN to pimprolla112
Re: subwoofer location and amp frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj52190
Hi, I have a sony xplod 420U Player, JBL 6.5 (60watts rms) front speakers, Sony xplod 9x6(52 watts) rear speakers, Rockford Fortage 2/1 channel P3001 ( ~300 watts) amplifier, 1 12" JBL woofer with tube 2 2" diamater ported holes enclosure(don't know the watts).
Since my woofer enclosure is tubular, i can't keep it in place in trunk. So I bought a rubber strings( the ones bikers use to hold things on bike) from autozone and hanged the woofer to the holes in the trunk(top). The woofer touches bottom but there is 1/4" string in between. Could keeping the enclosure 100% touching to ground improve bass?. I also have the woofer all the way to front( right behind the back seat, expect there is amplifier between the rear seat and woofer.) Can the location of the woofer in trunk make any difference in improving bass? If yes, then where should I move it?
One important question, How come I can hear lots of bass when i open the trunk(listening from the back of the car) and barely 20% when i listen to it in the driver's seat (closed trunk)? Is there anythink I sould do?

Last question, What frequency should i set the amplifier to so i get the most bass without many lyrics. Right now about 80-160 Hz sounds the best when i test it. what's yours set to?

I think i got used to the new amp and woofer so that's y i think the bass went down..

thanks alot for the HELP

Little confused on what you are trying to say. You have the subwoofer hanging below the trunk deck? It needs to be in an enclosure im not even sure if that sub can run free air. Most of the time a decent sized ported or sealed enclosure facing towards the back of the truck will produce a good amount of bass. AS for the amp tuning its all based on your perception. I have had mine tuned between 30-120 before, usually right around 60-80 is the zone that sounds the best. Of course my setup is alot different than yours and tuning on the head unit can make a huge influence on sound.

Don't ever look at cars as just imports or domestics. Just because a car is made in a certain country doesn't mean that it is anything like another car from that country. An example of this is Mitsubishi reliability, just because they are Japanese doesn't mean that they are as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

Cardomain
pimprolla112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
dpj52190
AF Newbie

Cool Re: subwoofer locatio and amp frequency

thanks for replying..here's a picture i took so you get the situation.

http://img363.imageshack.us/my.php?i...2008003mp4.jpg

left side is the holes and right side is the woofer. It's not actually hanging from the top but not completely touching the ground because of those strings(red and green)
Do you think I should move it to the end of the trunk? to get more response.?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: subwoofer locatio and amp frequency

you shold set the sub freq no higher than 80 Hz to start out with. As for the tube, you will have to move it around in the trunk to see where you get the most bass. You also have to have some type of hole between the trunk and the passenger compartment to let the bass come thru
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #5
dpj52190
AF Newbie

Cool Re: subwoofer locatio and amp frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD
you shold set the sub freq no higher than 80 Hz to start out with. As for the tube, you will have to move it around in the trunk to see where you get the most bass. You also have to have some type of hole between the trunk and the passenger compartment to let the bass come thru
where would i make this kind of hole? any tips? without damaging anything permanent.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: subwoofer locatio and amp frequency

many people take the 6X9 speakers out of the rear deck or make some type of passage thru the back seat.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio