Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
Arnoldtheskier
AF Regular

Frt. control arm change..

Hi again..My 91 needs a front ball joint..so I have to change the arm I guess. I am concerned that the blind nuts behind the bolts for the control arm bracket will simply break free/spin or tear through the sub. Are these Metros known to do that? What is the best plan? Careful impact to start with for sure..I have one. I do have a torch too. Have to get gas first. Is this a heat the bolt head up till it's cherry then impact it easy? Or is the torch really required? Or is this one of those realy iffy things and DO NOT! even think about touching the bolts without heating them up with the torch? I was actually thinking about maybe grinding off the bolt heads..removing the arm..to get a much better and closer area to heat with the torch..closer to the nut. Then a stud remover. I just dunno about this one. I have seen times when it was a BAD idea to use the torch as that simply weakened the surrounding area and..I also thought of drilling a small access hole and dousing the back area of this with penetrating oil. Any thoughts would be REALLY APPRECIATED!! Thanks a LOT!!..Arnold..
Arnoldtheskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
hot_sd
AF Regular

Re: Frt. control arm change..

Have you tried to remove the bolts yet. Are they rusted. My car is much newer - it's a 2000 - and I live in an area where corrosion is low due to our climate. I have removed the control arm once to replace the front bushing. It was pretty easy and had the arm out quick - all the bolts were easy to remove.

Now replacing the bushing was another matter - my 12 Ton hydraulic press was not up to the job. It was a big struggle. I now own a 20 ton press Mind you I did feel a rough spot inside the bore so that could have been the reason.
hot_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
Arnoldtheskier
AF Regular

Hi..no I haven't tried to remove the bolts..yet. I need enough torque to remove the bolts..but if that torque is lower than the torque it takes to spin the concealed nut..welded..or "nutsert" I am in more trouble. Not much point in trying to remove the bolts and have the concealed nut spin. I was just at the bone and got an arm..and they said to first try REALLY GENTLLY!!! with an impact wrench I am also tempted to grind off the bolt heads..leaving a stud..and weld another threaded section of a bolt to that..or re-thread the stud and use a joiner..long nut..and another threaded part..

Think first I will try gently with my impact wrench..and see how that works. HOPE they come out easily..or fairly easily.

16 y/o subcompact car..subframe..in the salt capitol of the world. I am surprised there is anything left of this car. Runs PURRRFECT!! The rest of the underbody doesn't look all that bad..it is not great..but I have seen a LOT! worse..on the road..

Gonna go try that right now..
Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
carpenter_jai
AF Stunt Driver

Highly recommend heat! I messed up a rear control arm bolt real bad not knowing how stuck it would be. Pull back the carpet on the interior, and heat up those bolts. I used propane, which takes a long time, but MAPP is better. I replaced both front control arms last year due to popped ball joints and it went easy with heat. Not like when I did the rear without. I would recommend heating anything you intend to remove from the bottom of the car. I have also broke a bolt while changing the fuel filter.

Jai
Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Arnoldtheskier
AF Regular

Thanks for that guys..

Impact=useless. certain point..more powerful impact..or large enough (3/4) socket..the bolt would have broken..or the nut spun

Drilling some tiny holes to get penetrating oil to the bolt threads=useless.

Torch then impact=useless. The heat required..overall heating of the whole area..or too hot local heating in order to get bolt/nut hot enough..was starting to..would have damaged stuff. Or simply weakned the nut to subframe bond.

Drilled some more tiny holes to allow the torch heat to more directly..and quicker heat the bolt/nut right where they joined.

Heat/impact..ream impact back and forth forward/reverse..to break the bolt loose..repeat. FINALLY! broke it loose..man oh man.. what a stuggle..even with a torch and an impact to get those bolts out without damaging anything..

Great little car..16 y/o in the salt capitol of the world..saved from the boneyard. I don't know of anyone/shop that would have taken the care I did to save this car. A big impact gun and or a too heavy hand..impatient..with the torch..would have destroyed the little car.

I dunno..still has some life left in it..I have sure seen a lot worse on the road..I am confident in it..I went over it all pretty carefully..and will patch up, mix up some resin..rustproof..paint and clear coat it..and keep an eye on it like always. Still there are areas that are hidden and can rot from the otherside

$20 for an arm and away I go again

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro