Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Tominator2000
AF Regular

'92 Metro with 14 inch wheels...read if you are considering this..

Well, I did a lot of research before upgrading from the stock 12 inchers to something with some bling.

Found some Enkei 14X6 gold wheels on Ebay for a reasonable price.

Could not find lug nuts untill a series of phone calls to various wholesalers directed me to Andy Wurm Tire and Wheel in St. Lous, Mo. He knew exactly what I wanted! In fact he had bought one hundred lug nuts years ago and gladly sold me some for a buck a piece!

While discussing the fitment he showed me some Falcon 195X60 tires and shot me a price I could not refuse.

I was a little worried over the discussions of unsprung weight, overall diameter and such having an adverse effect on ride and acceleration.

If you've ever thought about this, JUST DO IT!

The car ride was barely effected mainly by there being almost twice the tread on the road.

Looks wise? It's REALLY hard to describe the difference. The car looks SO much better!

Yes, I lost a small amount of power but the car still pulls the only hill in my daily drive in top gear at 65mph and even slightly gains speed if I push it.

Here are some pics on the Teamswift website.
Tominator2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
capritoms
AF Newbie

Re: '92 Metro with 14 inch wheels...read if you are considering this..

Looks good
capritoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
tude123
AF Regular

I'd be afraid that a big bump would cause the tires to come into contact with the wheel wells or fenders. Does this ever happen?
tude123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

Those rims have the right offset. They'll never come in contact. Does have the ride height of a 4x4 now Maybe time for some lowering springs??
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Tominator2000
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tude123
I'd be afraid that a big bump would cause the tires to come into contact with the wheel wells or fenders. Does this ever happen?
I ask the installer to test fit the tires, and yes there is a minor 'rub' on the inside left at full lock. The tire rubs only on the vinyl fender liner and IMHO is a acceptable and only rubs at full lock while the strut is compressed.

Yes, the tires 'elevated' the stance of the car and I've considered lowering springs and indeed have a set that I may purchase although as you can see the current setup looks pretty good.

There is a body kit in the garage, purchased from good ole Ebay that will affect my decision.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
geozukigti
AF Enthusiast

I would never those those 80's style rims would look good on a metro. Guess I was proved wrong! The setup does look really good! Next step is to get some 15's and lower it http://img216.exs.cx/img216/6262/42ow.jpg
geozukigti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #7
movin2stereo
AF Enthusiast

I have 14s on my Geo and the rear tires rub on the quarter lip when I hit a bump kinda hard.The link to my Geo is on my sig.

Stickerchick.com,best decals on the net
Click here

My $12.00 Sunfire
movin2stereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
HannabilRox
AF Newbie

That does look great filling up the wheel well area! Any changes in gas mileage? (Better / worse / no change)?
HannabilRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #9
Tominator2000
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannabilRox
That does look great filling up the wheel well area! Any changes in gas mileage? (Better / worse / no change)?
It seems to be better, but I'll fill it up tomorrow and check the numbers.

Last weekend I installed a 10degree advanced timing sprocket so what changes can be attributed to one or the other we will never know.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
Tominator2000
AF Regular

Getting a bit over 39MPG actual. Since the tires are larger in diameter I'm actually going further for each revolution and thus traveling further for each revolution. I'm guessing at least 1mpg more as the speedo is off about 2MPH. So still over 40MPG.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #11
shagpal
AF Regular

I'm running a set of 205/50-15's on my 91 Geo Metro Convertible. It's a set of old school 15' fitapaldi alloy rims I got with the 205/50 tires that came off of a Nissan 240SX. The fitapaldi rims were someones aftermarket rims, but removed after selling the car.

The tires do rub the fender rear lips, but very seldomly, and only when the car is bottoming out or boucing on the downside from big road dips and potholes.

On turns when I'm cutting very hard to u-turn or park, it does rub the plastic wheel wells in the front.

Since the Vert has a 4.39 final drive ratio, my power is still all good. I could prolly run 195/50-15's and most of my rubbing problems would go away, but since there so much rubber on the tires I got with the rims, I'm gonna keep running them till the meat is gone off the tires.
shagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #12
Tominator2000
AF Regular

What I really wanted were 15 or 16s, but when you get above 14s the expense of those low pro tires srts to bite a little.

Of course if you get a 'deal' on some go for it, but watch the overall diameter!

With 13s you are very limited in the type of tires available and there is a much better selection of 14s. That and me being 'cheap' had me going with 14s, but the larger wheels with lo pro tires look a lot better!
Old 04-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #13
shagpal
AF Regular

You can pickup Falkein's for $52 each. I went on BigO tires website and got that price. Then I went to Sears and made them match it plus a !0% discount that you get (that's per the Sears website)...so my cost per tire was about $47 per tire. That's for my wife's Vert which is running 195/50-15's. With BigO, it's the same price for 205/50-15's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominator2000
What I really wanted were 15 or 16s, but when you get above 14s the expense of those low pro tires srts to bite a little.

Of course if you get a 'deal' on some go for it, but watch the overall diameter!

With 13s you are very limited in the type of tires available and there is a much better selection of 14s. That and me being 'cheap' had me going with 14s, but the larger wheels with lo pro tires look a lot better!
shagpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #14
Tominator2000
AF Regular

I paid $180 mounted balanced and installed for the Falcon 195X60/14 and $151 for the wheels. Buck a piece for the lug nuts.

You did good on your purchase!
Old 04-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
Tominator2000
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by geozukigti
Those rims have the right offset. They'll never come in contact. Does have the ride height of a 4x4 now Maybe time for some lowering springs??
LOL! I can finally look
DOWN at homeless people sitting on the curb!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro