Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #1
BIG DADDYoo
AF Newbie

Lightbulb will not turn over

well this is what happened i was checking the fuses to see why the right rear running light had no power to the socket. the truck was running and i pull out the ignition fuse well the truck stop running. i put the fuse back in and know the truck will not start. i checked the fuses they are all good inside and under the hood. the seloniod wire going to the starter had no power with key in start position, i could get it to start by jumpering the starter relay. i know that there should be 2 hot wires at the starter relay but there is only 1. i was thinking that it could be a bad neutral saftey switch so i put the gear shifter in neutral and it still will not start. any ideas would help. thanks, BIG DADDYoo. oh this is a 2002 tacoma 4cyl automatic.
BIG DADDYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: will not turn over

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes - It might be your ECM is keeping your starter relay from getting juice. Maybe it will forget.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
BIG DADDYoo
AF Newbie

i tried that it still would not start. i could get it to start by jumpering the starter relay.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #4
Flash75
AF - Advisor

After it started by jumpering the start relay, do you have a check engine light? If there is a check engine light you may have to clear the code before the start circuit will work. Meanwhile you can try these checks. When you try to start normally with the start relay installed can you hear or feel the start relay click? If the relay doesn't click try changing the STA fuse in the under dash fuse box. It and the ignition fuse are both 7.5 amps. You said all fuses are good. Did you make that decision based on visual observation or did you check the fuses with an ohmmeter? Most bad fuses can seen visually, but sometimes they fail and still look good. I have seen a few that passed the ohmmeter and visual test but they wouldn't work in a circuit.

One other comment, I know this will not help you now, but never remove a fuse from a live circuit, especially in vehicles with OBDII systems. It's just safe shop practice and at worst can damage components or cause a check engine light that will need clearing.

Good luck, Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #5
BIG DADDYoo
AF Newbie

yes i did check the fuses with a test light and both sides of the fuses were hot. do you still think that i should try a new fuse anyway. i will start it by jumping the relay and see if the check engine light is on.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
Shredhead
AF Enthusiast

I had a problem with my fuse checked it out and it looked just fine but didn't work. I replaced it and it worked (headlight fuse), these newer fuses arent like the old tube fuses replace the fuse it couldn't hurt anything.
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma