Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

The Ultimate Question!

I would realy like to hear from PaulD and pimprolla112 on this question but I want as many answers as possable.

If you had $1000 to spend on a just a sub system that is made to be a SPL system and it was going to be built in the back of a Toyota Tundra with all of the back seats removed, what would you get? I would like to know every thing such as amp, box, what kind and size of subs, and how it would be setup etc.

I am asking this because I might have an oppotunity to do this and I dont even have any ideas so I went to my primary source of info. Any ideas are welcome and wanted from anyone. And you can use the money on nething you would want in the truck as long as it makes a wickedly loud sub setup and looks good cause its not going to be hidden behind or under seats its out in the open.

Have fun with this one, and dont be shy type exactly what you would do in this situation.
Thanks Alot.
BikerPaintballdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #2
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: The Ultimate Question!

a couple of efficient 12's or 15's in a fart box with at least 1000 watts RMS. Of course I would never do this in any car I had, but if I had a friend I was helping out - that would be the most bang for the buck.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

Umm I have one question, what is a fart box?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPaintballdude
Umm I have one question, what is a fart box?

LoL, I gotta say, I was wondering the same. I dont really know how to take that? Maybe sarcasm , if so, + 500, it's funny. But I think you would want to probably go with DD, RE, Fi, ID, EDand maybe a solo-X. And personally, if your not goin to compete in SPL competitions, I would just go SQL sub. The above brands have some NICE ones. It would sound a whole lot better too. Your only goin to achieve a damaged ear the other way. Some of these subs will make so much noise (deisred), you wouldnt know the difference, except for the increased sound quality. It will be louder than you could actually listen to comfortably as a daily driver. Do you even have equipment that will even keep up with those vloumes (high end), or you just goin all factory and a helluva sub ?
Cause if you want strickly SPL , may not sound the best, just uncomfortably loud, and a waste IMO if your not competing. A lil more detail of where you had in mind to go is prolly necessary at this point.

But you might want to power that with a nice McIntosh, Audison, Zapko, Diamond, Butler, or even JL and few Old school amps from ol Zed (lol). Autotek, Lanzar, PPI, Orion, RF. And your box, is goin to be pretty big, sounds like its not a problem though. You might want to go ported, Personally I like the sound of sealed. Or if possible, a Fart Box (LoL)

And of course, to lightly touch on the Electircal system. You will need the big three with a HO alternator, and of course, the proper wiring kit. And LOTS of Dynamat !

Last edited by nicks84; 08-28-2007 at 12:51 AM.
nicks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:00 PM   #5
NotoriouslyLoud
AF Newbie

a fart box is a box that is only good for one note... and normally a note that does not play well with a daily set up....meaning if you build a box and tune it to 55htz, and thats all that box is good for then it = fart box

Big D
founder of
Team Notoriously Loud Mafia
1 fi audio 18 btl fully loaded
1 soundstream xxx-6500
1 AVH-P5700DVD
2 G34 Yellow top
250 amp HO alt
bassrace 139.9 all day baby
NotoriouslyLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

and is this assuming you have a charing system capable to handle that because if you don't say hello to 8 to 9 volts. and are you talking about daily driver loud or over the top spl comp loud?
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

Um not exactly. What I want is a system that is loud and can be heard comming from a few blocks away. I just want it to be realy impressive and loud but sound good at the same time I just want to be able to show off my car and beat most systems that are in my town (in DB but not competition) and be know for sumthing like my system because ive been wanting to do this for sooo long. Cause the way I look at it you can only enjoy your first car once and I am not going to wish that I had a car that I could have been proud of when im like 50 because im not going to want blasting sound systems forever so I should take advantage of the time i have now cuz its not going to be forever. So pretty much what im saying is I want a sound system that I would be proud of and be able to show off and have it be a big thing but also be able to enjoy it myself soo I want it to be loud but sound good. I dont know how much sence that made or if it just sucked and srry bout the mistakes and parts that dont make sence I had like 3 minutes to type this. and do 15" Diamond Audio CM3's sound pretty good and can hit hard?
And I still would like to know what a fart box id or if you ment port.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

ohhh srry after I pushed enter I scrolled up and saw the fart box answer Thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #9
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Um not exactly. What I want is a system that is loud and can be heard comming from a few blocks away. I just want it to be realy impressive and loud but sound good at the same time I just want to be able to show off my car and beat most systems that are in my town (in DB but not competition) and be know for sumthing like my system because ive been wanting to do this for sooo long. Cause the way I look at it you can only enjoy your first car once and I am not going to wish that I had a car that I could have been proud of when im like 50 because im not going to want blasting sound systems forever so I should take advantage of the time i have now cuz its not going to be forever. So pretty much what im saying is I want a sound system that I would be proud of and be able to show off and have it be a big thing but also be able to enjoy it myself soo I want it to be loud but sound good. I dont know how much sence that made or if it just sucked and srry bout the mistakes and parts that dont make sence I had like 3 minutes to type this. and do 15" Diamond Audio CM3's sound pretty good and can hit hard?
To be perfectly honest, this is a real bad idea
Why can't you "enjoy" this forever? The reason you don't see older people doing it isn't because they can't, it's because they matured and realized it was a dumb idea. Damaging your hearing from something you can't even listen to the music you enjoy on...fantastic! You won't be proud of this when you get older, you'll be embarrased of it...that's assuming it doesn't get stolen, and the way you're describing your intentions, it will be, quickly.

Give it 1 month and I promise you'll be tired of it and wishing you spent the money on something you can actually listen to.

just my .02...do what you want

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 PM   #10
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD

yep ... a fart box is also known as a johnny one note, they sound bad but are typically very efficient.

it's usually a relatively small ported box, often times the port(s) are on the the outside of the box to allow the box to even smaller..

It takes a good bit subs and power to be heard from several blocks away - good luck on that one.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #11
nicks84
AF Regular

Quote:
I understand completely. When I was 16, I had a car with 4 -15's in a wall behind the front seats. I completely ripped out my back seats. I had a custom built box with Plexiglass in front. I had the proper high end to compensate as well as charging system. Needless to say, PLENTY WAY TOO LOUD, but at the same time souded crystal clear. I had alot of fun and everyone knew me. But, I warn you, some dumb ass is goin to eventually steal your shit, so make sure you have proper security and everything is covered on the insurance. Anyways, the Diamonds you mentioned are nice, but you woudl be better off getting one of the above brands, thier just better (providing you get the right series). Bandpass boxes IMO are nice, but are very hard to get down. IF someone knows what they are doin, Id say go for it, if not, stay AWAy from them. Just go ported, but make sure they can do that adequetaly. IF you need help, give your location, maybe someone knows someone there.
nicks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
dave92cherokee
AF Enthusiast

If you've already got the headunit and factory replacement speakers you want and now looking for crazy spl then I'd personally recommend using a 18" Kicker SoloX with a Hifonics xx Thor amp. If you shop around online you can find a good deal on them, just make sure that the vehicle can handle the power requirements. As for installation put it in a square ported box and either fiberglass the box or carpet it but also extend it to make it look like it belongs there and not just thrown in.
dave92cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
BikerPaintballdude
AF Regular

O.K. I am starting to think I want sql more than spl now. But I am still going to want probly more bass than is required.:] so for now im probably going to get the subs and headunit and get that set up and sounding like I want then im going to go in and replace everything else with better stuff so it will sound nice and then I can just turn down the bass and it should sound just fine but still be able to turn up the bass when I want and bang down the street so I could have a car that utillizes both spl and sql and I can choose between both depending on my mood. Can I do that or is that just a big car audio no no?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 AM   #14
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

for 1k i would do like 2 re sx 12" on a us amps md3d amp.
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
erverGUDO
AF Newbie

Quote:
I would realy like to hear from PaulD and pimprolla112 on this question but I want as many answers as possable.

If you had $1000 to spend on a just a sub system that is made to be a SPL system and it was going to be built in the back of a Toyota Tundra with all of the back seats removed, what would you get? I would like to know every thing such as amp, box, what kind and size of subs, and how it would be setup etc.

I am asking this because I might have an oppotunity to do this and I dont even have any ideas so I went to my primary source of info. Any ideas are welcome and wanted from anyone. And you can use the money on nething you would want in the truck as long as it makes a wickedly loud sub setup and looks good cause its not going to be hidden behind or under seats its out in the open.

Have fun with this one, and dont be shy type exactly what you would do in this situation.
Thanks Alot.
I would go with MA audio, if you look in db national, db drag compitions in many states they 1st 2nd and 3rd!
erverGUDO is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio