Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique
Driving Style and Technique Got a favorite way to enter a corner? Discuss all things related to piloting a race car here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
RVMAN
AF Newbie

Re: preferred drag racing transmissions

This could turn into a flame war However, 2 cents worth- AUTO TRANNY: consistant and cheaper to "tweek" MANUAL TRANNY: a heck of a lot more fun!
RVMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #17
cndctrdj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cndctrdj

ok since this is already going there i will give my three cents worth.

with a underpowered car, anything with under 200whp, the manual will be faster, quicker, over that and the auto will be better in the 1/4. just something ive obsevred in my years.

autos can handle more power. if you dont believe me look at the specs on any car with a towing package. all the bigger towing numbers are with the auto not the manual. with a manual tranny you will be inconsistant and that sucks for bracket racing. what type of drag racing do you plan on doing?

autos are easier to make go quicker for less money than a manual. drop a trans brake a big stall converter in an auto and gain a sec or two.

the original question was about a standard or a 5 speed auto. im not sure wich standard tranny is in the mustang but we will assume it is a 5 speed, since a mustang GT has never been offered with 6 gears. so he asked wich was better, both being 5 speed. id say go with an auto. no better gas milage, same amount of gears.

someone on here sugested to use an 03 cobra tranny. nice idea but will it fit? and if that fits id go with a viper tranny instead, d&d sells the bellhousings to make them fit alot of other applications.

and now for a question that bothers me, why would you buy that slow 14+ sec mustang for a drag car?
i saw a company take one into the 12's they needed to completly redo the suspension, new rear end, take out tons of weight, put drag tires(not sure if radials or slicks) and then do all the boltons. your looking at close to 4k to get that car in the 12's

or nitrous, lots of it
94 cr500r - rediculously fast and fun
cndctrdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #18
OLDSCHOOL-MUSCLE
AF Newbie

The fastest cars, and I mean the no nonsense drag cars that run 8 or better run auto's mostly. Manuals eat up a lesser percentage of power but the autos don't take time to shift so you make up time there. Depends on the application and a whole bunch of different factors really. I hate people people who give their so called gospel truth without knowing jack $hit. Thats all I'm saying.
OLDSCHOOL-MUSCLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #19
1Diehard
AF Newbie

The best, and strongest drag tranny bar none is the Jeffco. Super durable, takes upto 2500HP,
See http://www.jeffcoperformance.com/
1Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Driving Style and Technique