Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
samandiar
AF Regular

fairlane

I know this technically isn't a muscle car, but there seems to be a lot of smart people around here, so here goes.

My friend has a friend who is selling a 1961 ford fairlane owned by his deceased uncle. All I know about it is it's white, four door, 6 cylinder, 3-spd column shift, 92k miles, some minor rust.

Anyway, what I want to do is buy a Ford crate engine or something and a new tranny, among other things. I need suggestions of places to get cheap crate engines or good used engines, etc. Looking for a V8 of some sort, at least a 302, and it definitely has to be moddable. I was also wondering the pros/cons of getting a 5spd floor stick.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:54 AM   #2
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
Look in the want ads, or in some of those thrifty nickles. Where i'm from you can almost always find a 350 for about 400-600 dollars in one. Why settle for a 302.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandiar
I know this technically isn't a muscle car, but there seems to be a lot of smart people around here, so here goes.

My friend has a friend who is selling a 1961 ford fairlane owned by his deceased uncle. All I know about it is it's white, four door, 6 cylinder, 3-spd column shift, 92k miles, some minor rust.

Anyway, what I want to do is buy a Ford crate engine or something and a new tranny, among other things. I need suggestions of places to get cheap crate engines or good used engines, etc. Looking for a V8 of some sort, at least a 302, and it definitely has to be moddable. I was also wondering the pros/cons of getting a 5spd floor stick.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts? It may be an intersting project but would cost a fortune to make a good cruiser out of an old mans car. Seriously, start with a better/sportier platform, UNLESS you intend to build a retro sled.

If you are, use an FE engine. This is most commonly seen in the 390 V8 used in so many '60's Fords cars and light trucks, but was made from 1958 to 1976 in the following displacements: 332, 352, 360, 361, 390, 391, 406, 410, 427, 428.
These were Fords big performance engine until the advent of the Cobra Jet 429's in 1969-70. They are strong, fast and reliable, and will take the crease out of anything other than a throughly built 302.

That car could be ordered with a 352, so a nice 390 would bolt right in easily. there must be a half million of these in wreckers yards across the country.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 12:30 AM   #4
kratefan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
My thoughts? It may be an intersting project but would cost a fortune to make a good cruiser out of an old mans car. Seriously, start with a better/sportier platform, UNLESS you intend to build a retro sled.

If you are, use an FE engine. This is most commonly seen in the 390 V8 used in so many '60's Fords cars and light trucks, but was made from 1958 to 1976 in the following displacements: 332, 352, 360, 361, 390, 391, 406, 410, 427, 428.
These were Fords big performance engine until the advent of the Cobra Jet 429's in 1969-70. They are strong, fast and reliable, and will take the crease out of anything other than a throughly built 302.

That car could be ordered with a 352, so a nice 390 would bolt right in easily. there must be a half million of these in wreckers yards across the country.
What about a 351 Windsor?
Jeff
kratefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:07 AM   #5
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Re: Re: fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratefan
What about a 351 Windsor?
Jeff
A 351 Windsor would do okay. It would not bolt up to the existing transmission, so a transmission would have to be swapped in. It would require some work with the engine and trans mounts, as well as the driveshaft.
A 390 would be an easier swap and would produce more power in stock form.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #6
KYjerry
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to KYjerry
Ford Fairlane

My first car was a '66 Ford Fairlane with a inline 6-cyl. As far as getting engines for that car I have found one place up near LA that had decent options for what I wanted to do. Everything was original in the car....get this though. There were only 4 members in my Family but we had seven cars. When I was gone in the Navy my mom sold it for 50 dollars to the neighbors who live behind us. Now when I go to the backyard. I see they put in a new top and paint job. You know mine wasn't a fast car but it was my first car and it basically had no problems except maybe needing a new paint job. I went to talk to them and they don't even want to talk about that car. It sucks. I will write you with the address for the engine places. There is also a site, your going to have to search for it under 'Catalogs" that had a lot of things you could choose to do to your Fairlane. I'll get back to you on that....it's been a while since I had done anything related to a FORD
KYjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:39 AM   #7
samandiar
AF Regular

Sweet, dude. Definitely get back to me on that. Thanks. Another question. Would the suspension on a six-cyl. be beefy enough to support the weight of a big block?
Old 03-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
-Josh-
Automotive love doctor

Send a message via AIM to -Josh-
Well, those old inline sixes were pretty big, but to be on the safer side you might want to stiffen up the suspension a little.

AF User Guidelines

What is a mippie? - click
-Josh- is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical