Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 12:30 PM   #1
00tegra
AF Regular

Tokiko? why or why not

i was thinking about getting Tokiko Illuminas for my integra. so far all i have herad are good things but i'm not sure if there is anythig better. i want to be able to adjust them, so i'm not looking for just any coil-overs. any suggestions?
00tegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:28 PM   #2
csaddict
AF Enthusiast

I'd say yes! I have them in my civic and they are great. Easy to adjust, fit perfect. Great range of adjustabilty. I am very happy with my purchase.
Custom Catback Exhaust
Short throw
H&R stage II springs
Tokico Illumina adjustables
front upper,rear upper,rear lower tie bars
ST front and rear sway bars
BOOSTED![/size]
csaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 05:49 PM   #3
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Tokiko? why or why not

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00tegra
i was thinking about getting Tokiko Illuminas for my integra. so far all i have herad are good things but i'm not sure if there is anythig better. i want to be able to adjust them, so i'm not looking for just any coil-overs. any suggestions?
Illuminas are not coilovers, they are shocks/struts/dampers. A better shock than Tokico would be Koni adjustables. KYB AGX is also a nice shock.

What springs are you using & how much of a drop?

If you dont have springs yet, check out H&R's Cup Kit.
BullShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 06:41 PM   #4
Ace$nyper
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ace$nyper Send a message via MSN to Ace$nyper Send a message via Yahoo to Ace$nyper
I like them if your going with springs of sleve coils there nice me i went with koni yellows love them to death but they are bit more pricy. If your going full Coilovers then Tein HR JIC all make great kits.
Ace$nyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
RedlyneAccord
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to RedlyneAccord
just put the tokico illuminas in my car, very happy with performance, did research before buying, seemed to be of higher quality then what else i looked at. (kyb)
RedlyneAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:25 AM   #6
akina_speedstars
AF Enthusiast

Monroe Gas-Matic. Number One brand.

But seriously, why do you need to adjust them? If you don't, HP's are okay. Adjusting is for racers who need to dial in the fronts and rears, unless you want a harsh ride to be cool.
akina_speedstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 04:51 AM   #7
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
I like them if your going with springs of sleve coils there nice me i went with koni yellows love them to death but they are bit more pricy. If your going full Coilovers then Tein HR JIC all make great kits.
Tein HR? Your either thinking of Tein HA, or Tein RS I think... But Tein and A'PEXi as well as JIC all make excellent true full coilover systems.

I'd recommend Koni Yellows or KYB AGX if you're going for a shock with adjustable dampening. Then match them to either a set of Neuspeed Sports, Eibach Pro Kit or Sportlines, or Tein S. Tech springs. If you go coilover sleeves, I would not recommend anything other than Ground Control. I hear too many complaints about Skunk2's being too bouncy or harsh, and anything else is just CRAP plain and simple.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #8
99civic03
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 99civic03
I think he meant H&R, not Tein HR.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #9
BullShifter
AF Moderator

I've heard nothing good about coilover sleeves, GC are decent - i've heard. If you go coilover spend the $$$$$ and get the good stuff.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:17 AM   #10
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Re: Tokiko? why or why not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackasssi
I've heard nothing good about coilover sleeves, GC are decent - i've heard. If you go coilover spend the $$$$$ and get the good stuff.
I wouldn't knock G/C's so much. Yeah they are sleeves, but they are also about the only company out there that got them right when they designed and made them! I've never heard a complaint about them, and a friend of mine has some with higher custom spring rates, mated to Koni Yellows on his '02 Celica GT-S, and his car handles just as good as mine. Of course full coils is the ideal way to go, but G/C and Yellows are a just as excellent combo if you don't want to spend as much.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 10-19-2003, 01:38 AM   #11
BullShifter
AF Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Tokiko? why or why not

I didn't knock GC's It's just I've seen/heard of many spring perches breaking with sleeves - even GC's. Yea spring perches can be broken with normal springs, but its more likely with sleeves cranked down.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:45 PM   #12
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tokiko? why or why not

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackasssi
I didn't knock GC's It's just I've seen/heard of many spring perches breaking with sleeves - even GC's. Yea spring perches can be broken with normal springs, but its more likely with sleeves cranked down.
True that. The perches on sleeves seem so flimsy and crappy compared to the ones on my Teins. Those ones seem way more beefy and tolerant to greater loads and forces.

hessemer69 on AIM

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension