Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:07 AM   #1
jay8454
AF Newbie

GMC 1995 K1500 ( 2014-5.7 ) Electrical question and corrosion

GMC 1995 K1500 ( 2014-5.7 ) Electrical question and corrosion

I put a new crate motor in 2014 Jan, runs good.

Having a lot of hit and miss or random electrical problems.

Example: left turn signal rear stops working replaced the bulb and it worked till next day got mad and smacked the light and it works again, uhg!

Next: I had what sounded like some guys under the dash welding and at the same time the headlights were flickering badly. I turned the lights off and back on again and problem went away. The next day I opened up the glass dash (mine is glass not plastic anymore), and looked for the welding slag (burnt stuff) couldn't find anything! (I did notice mostly every plug had that blueish green copper corrosion on most every plug.) I plugged back in the light switch and turned it on, started the engine. I noticed one side of the switch getting really hot almost to hot to touch, but the heat sink side stayed cool. I left it like that lights on engine running for about 10 minutes while I ordered a new switch. I came back and the engine was off and there was no power at all not even the hood light was on. I cleaned all the corroded plugs the best I could and added soldering flux to hopefully take care of some of the corrosion. I had to also replace the fuse for the gauges. Asked a friend (in a panic) what he does for corrosion as he works for the phone company. My friend told me, "what they do is to cut all the corrosion effected wires out and replace them". "Don't know the practicality of that."

Back to my question sorry for the long story.

Would it be practical to replace ALL the wiring?
If so, where to find complete wire harnesses or should it be done by a professional mechanic? I did the engine.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
After all this forum saved me from a new transmission $2200 vs a $15 ignition switch.

Last edited by jay8454; 12-15-2015 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Timed out while I typed it out.
jay8454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: GMC 1995 K1500 ( 2014-5.7 ) Electrical question and corrosion

Look for loose or corroded grounds especially in the area where you worked on the truck. Corrosion in Nevada, seems unusual, go over all your main junction s from the battery out.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
jay8454
AF Newbie

It was easier to replace the engine, laughs! Yea, will do going to give the light switch re-newly a try too. It only seemed to act up when the switch was turned to lights all the way on (not marker or running lights), so finding a ground within that line could also be the trouble. Need the blessing of patience on this electrical boggles my mind!

Thank you for the reply, will try post the resolve in coming week.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
jay8454
AF Newbie

As a follow up to this... One thing was fixed and another started.
The light switch had major corrosion issues, I replaced and cleaned thoroughly and somewhere else had problems. I am having to replace corroded plugs all over. OH WELL! It's old.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra