Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
carquestions1256
AF Newbie

Brake issues with Kia Spectra

Two days ago i drove my Kia Spectra about 60 miles on the highway, then after being off the highway for 10 mins, my car started acting weird. The car just wanted to stop when i took my foot off the gas, at stoplights it didnt roll forward if i took my foot off the brake. The brake petal felt heavy like it was already being pushed.
Then two hours later I tried to drive it again around the block and it was fine, but the next day on my way back from the store the car wouldnt get up to speed, i was flooring it and the car was going 30. Then after about a minute it started speedng up again, but once again the brake felt extremely heavy. I parked my car and there was a TON of smoke coming from around the front two tires.
carquestions1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Brake issues with Kia Spectra

Welcome to the forum!

What year is your Spectra? If it has traction control was the indicator on or flashing that happens when the traction control is active? Is the ABS light on or flashing?

Based on your description, it sounds like your brakes are being applied when they should not be. Considering the smoke that was coming from the front per your description, if this happens again it would be in your best interest to pull over as soon as you safely can. If you keep driving it this way you're likely to destroy many more parts than are the current issue.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
carquestions1256
AF Newbie

This is an 07. No lights were on.

Do you think this could be an issue with the master cylinder locking up?
carquestions1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
Carsandbeyond
AF Newbie

When was the last time you got the oil changed? And was it by a shop? Sometimes they will accidentally put a petroleum based product in your master cylinder and then the brakes lock up due to the seals swelling. But then let go after away and then lock right back up. The way to check is to pull some brake fluid out with a syringe and squirt it in to a glass. You will see oil desperate from the brake fluid and it will be a creamy color.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
brake , kia , spectra
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical