Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
sfa500@verizon.net
AF Newbie

2001 Solora V6 SLE Suspension Rattle

Hello, I own a 01 V6 Sle solora with almost 100000 miles. Whenever the road gets bumpy I hear a noticeable rattling from the rear passenger side, almost sounds like its near the trunk. I have checked and nothing in my trunk is causing the noise. I believe it is coming from the suspension. Any thoughts? thanks guys!
sfa500@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
ruredi2gofishn
AF Newbie

Re: 2001 Solora V6 SLE Suspension Rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfa500@verizon.net
Hello, I own a 01 V6 Sle solora with almost 100000 miles. Whenever the road gets bumpy I hear a noticeable rattling from the rear passenger side, almost sounds like its near the trunk. I have checked and nothing in my trunk is causing the noise. I believe it is coming from the suspension. Any thoughts? thanks guys!
I HAVE A 2004 TOYOTA SOLARA SE THAT ALSO HAS A REAR SUSPENSION OR WHEEL NOISE THA SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING IS LOOSE WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER. THE DEALER DIDN'T, THANKS! mwattigney1@yahoo.com
ruredi2gofishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
papirringo
AF Newbie

strut mount
papirringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
EA6BMECH
AF Newbie

Struts. You can check the mounts, but I'm going with the struts. I've replaced the fronts and have the rears to do. They loose their air pressure (gas shocks) and the rebound gives out allowing the the shock to extend too fast and causing a knocking sound when it tops out. It's not when you hit the bump, it's that second after is when you hear the sound. With that said, still check the strut mount too.
EA6BMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #5
upssnowman
AF Newbie

Struts are bad the cartridge inside rattles when worn, won't hurt anything they are just getting worn out
upssnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
jdmccright
The RustBuster

Please make note of the thread dates before responding to one...this one is over a year old.
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2000 Honda ST1100
2000 Pontiac Sunfire

Vehicle History:
2003 Pontiac Vibe AWD - 1999 Acura Integra GS - 2004 4.7L Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - 1996 GMC Jimmy 4wd - 1995 Chevrolet C2500 - 1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L - 1992 Chevrolet S10 Ext. Cab 4.3L - 1995 Honda ST1100 - 1980 Yamaha XS400 - 1980 Mercury Bobcat.
jdmccright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #7
AABob7862
AF Newbie

This seems to be an issue with these Solara's. I just purchased a 99 with 93,000 miles and I'm hearing the noise front and back. i took it to a front end guy and he said the struts were ok but the steering link bushings were worn. How difficult are these struts to change out? They want a small fortune to do the labor and the price of the struts are high too.
AABob7862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Scrapper
AF Premium User

struts are not that hard to change but you have to be carful if you don't have the machine they lock in or they got these clams that you but on bench and change them. what i would do is take them off take them to a shop and let them inter change them. could also be your upper bearing plates to on struts.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Scrapper
AF Premium User

wow i never caught that one was old thread.how do they get in there when it's been out dated?
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
EA6BMECH
AF Newbie

I'll add to this again and I know it's old, but so was my rattle in all 3 of my cars. Found out that it's the sway/torsion bar in the rear. The 2 rubber mounts that hold it in place get slack. Every time I've checked it, I had it on jacks. Can't do that, gotta have it on the ground. I grabbed that bar, and sure enough it would slid a little from side to side and move a little in the bushing on both sides.

Now you can do a couple things. One, be a cheap arse and unbolt the bracket and stuff a thin piece of rubber what ever between the bushing and bar, or change out the bushings for $30 from Advance Auto. Gotta jack up the car, pull the tire off......THEN, get another jack and put it under the???? I forgot what ya call it? tie rod joint? and lift the suspension up to take the pressure off the sway bar. Now the tricky part is, DON'T yank and bank on the 2 bolts cause you can bust them off.........like I did, but I was able to get the bracket off it bolts to and got it out with allot of 4 letter/compound words, a propane torche, easy out and some luck.

So it your not sure and one bolt comes out, pry the rubber bushing apart and try to slid in a thin piece of rubber, in my case, some heater hose I cut with some grease on it, and call it even and put the bolt back and leave it the fark alone! But!! it works like a charm, all that rattle in the back is gone!! Whooo Hoooo!!!

With that said, make sure that the jack is fastened in place and the tire is secure and nothing else in the wells to rattle around.

Take it for a spin and see what ya think. :-)
EA6BMECH is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Solara