Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 12:04 AM   #1
Lethidox
AF Newbie

Catalytic converter gaskets

just my converter in today didn't come with any gaskets.

i was wondering what i need to install? looks like the part that connects to the exhaust only consists of 1 gasket? but im not sure about the other 2 pipes that are flared.

i am looking at this diagram from the seller and it doesn't say anything but im not totally sure. i don't want to reuse any gaskets they are likely gone by now. car is a 1998 ford windstar 3.0L

converter i could find that ships to me was https://www.carid.com/walker/ultra-d...leid=115289568

i found the 1 gasket that connects to the exhaust but not the 2 flared pipe ones.
Lethidox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Catalytic converter gaskets

The flared pipes won't use gaskets. They are more of a ball and socket fit to allow the engine to rock.

Take a good look at the mounting studs that you'll be mounting too. You may need to replace them, and you most likely will also need to spray them with penetrating oil before you tackle the job. The nuts that go on the studs may also be rusted enough you'll want to replace them. You'll probably never need to replace this assembly again, but to ensure you won't, you may consider getting some anti-seize compound to apply to the threaded fasteners when assembling to help your chances of being able to remove them in the future. The anti-seize can also be used on steering and suspension components when replacing them, spark plugs, etc. so it's good to have around anyway. A little goes a long way.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Lethidox
AF Newbie

what is the stud you are talking about? also are the nut sizes pretty much universal or are they different depending on brand of car?

not entirely sure what to buy thats why. the bolts/nuts connecting to the muffler are the only ones i looked at so far and yea they look rusted af and i have to replace.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Sometimes the exhaust is fastened with studs and nuts. If the nuts and threads of the studs are rusty enough, the studs will back out of the manifold when trying to remove the nut. I've not done any exhaust work on a Windstar or a similar aged Taurus so I'm not sure if this applies for you. I'm also not sure if the studs and nuts are pretty standard. I would imagine their pretty common for Ford though, and considering how many of that engine were sold, it's probably not too difficult to come across someone who knows what size studs and nuts are needed.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
Lethidox
AF Newbie

ahh yea mine looks like it has some sort of like bolt + nut combo at the flanged pipes. can't really see good on the bank 1 side it's fricken burried only way to get to it is crawling under. looks like its near the engine mount by bunch of bird nest.

the other end by the flex assembly only looks to be bolts i didn't see any nuts on that end. sadly i can't find what size bolts these are unless i remove the damn thing. think i found the flanged end but those were studs and nuts.

and yea you were right this thing doesn't come with a donut it seems. checked everywhere even talked to the company i bought the converter from. ended up looking on amazon at the same converter and it said flange to flange assuming no donut is used.

probably going to try and prep the car today. sucks though i want to lift it on stands and leave it like that but apparently we have homeless living in our neighbors house; guess they had to sell or something they just up and moved like last week. neighborhood isn't trust worthy either chances are i'd come home or wake up with converter chopped off and wheels gone.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General