Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Phaeton
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 02:12 AM   #1
Jaguar D-Type
Banned

Volkswagen to yank slow-selling Phaeton from U.S. market next summer

Volkswagen to yank slow-selling Phaeton from U.S. market next summer

DIANA T. KURYLKO | Automotive News

WIM OUDE WEERNINK | Automotive News Europe

Posted Date: 11/14/05

Volkswagen AG is admitting defeat with the Phaeton. VW plans to pull the slow-selling luxury car from the U.S. market next summer.

The Phaeton is losing money in the United States. "It is not a viable business case anymore," says Hans-Gerd Bode, a VW spokesman at the company's global headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany. The decision to pull the plug was made by Wolfgang Bernhard, head of the VW brand worldwide, and Adrian Hallmark, the new executive vice president of Volkswagen of America Inc.

The executives decided Volkswagen will focus on being a volume player in the U.S. market instead of trying to move up-market, Bode says.

"Bernhard and Hallmark said, 'We are a volume producer, and let's go in this direction, beginning with the U.S. market, where we are losing a lot of money,' " Bode says.

Slumping sales

The Phaeton's U.S. sales tumbled to 686 in the first 10 months of 2005 from 1,433 in the year-ago period. That's a 52.1 percent drop.

VW prices the Phaeton at $68,655 for a V-8 model, including a $1,300 gas-guzzler charge. The 12-cylinder version starts at $100,255, including a $3,000 gas guzzler charge.

By contrast, the most expensive four-door VW Passat sedan starts at $32,515 for a 3.6-liter VR6 model.

VW plans to announce the Phaeton decision to dealers today, Nov. 14. Wolfsburg expects Phaeton sales to end in the U.S. market next July or August.

The company will not send the 2007 Phaeton here.

VW will continue to provide customer support to Phaeton owners, Bode says.

VW's U.S. market will focus on core vehicles, including the Passat, Jetta, Golf and Touareg, Bode says, along with new models such as the Eos convertible that is due early next year.

The company's U.S. dealers will get a car above the Passat as part of a product offensive that Bernhard has promised for 2008 and beyond.

Since VW launched the Phaeton in the U.S. market in 2003, the car has not approached its initial sales target of 5,000 a year. This year, the Phaeton does not appear to be on track to hit its lowered U.S. sales target of 1,000.

VWoA offered $10,000 in dealer cash last year on 2004 models.

Bode says it was probably a mistake for VW to launch the Touareg and the Phaeton together. Marketing wasn't sufficient to position both vehicles strategically, he says.

VWoA's marketing also has been inconsistent, Bode says: "In the last year, we didn't have a good marketing effort in the U.S. Today we do this, and tomorrow we do that."

Bode says VWoA's continued losses also affected the decision to yank the Phaeton. VW expected to turn around its fortunes in the United States this year with redesigned versions of the Jetta and Passat and a freshened New Beetle.

This month, though, Wolfsburg announced this year's losses at VWoA are expected to top last year's loss of $1.07 billion.

Chris Curran, a Volkswagen dealer in Stratford, Conn., says "it's no surprise" VW is dropping the Phaeton.

"As the volumes got smaller," says Curran, "they decided they didn't have enough funds to support stronger incentive programs."

Curran says the Phaeton represented too big a jump for traditional VW buyers to make. At the same time, he says, luxury buyers did not gravitate to the car.

Says Curran: "People in that high-price range are buying prestige and image, and want the logo to represent that."
Jaguar D-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Mr Wiggl3s
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Mr Wiggl3s
Re: Volkswagen to yank slow-selling Phaeton from U.S. market next summer

30 years from now, collectors item
Mr Wiggl3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
Paldi
AF Newbie

Already!

Paldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
RX-7 Steve
AF Regular

The guy that owns all the local car-dealerships around here has a VW Phaeton. He has more money than God, but has poor taste; of all the cars he can afford, he picks that!

vintage-red RX-7 twin-turbo
RX-7 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
Paldi
AF Newbie

I feel your pain, RICERBOY!

Old 07-22-2006, 11:32 PM   #6
RX-7 Steve
AF Regular

^Who are you calling a ricer? I'm totally anti-rice; I don't street-race, I hate big wings and non-functional bodykits, and I'm not a big fan of the Fast&Furious. Are you calling me a "ricer" because I own a Japanese sportscar? My little rotary-engine car will run circles around your 12-cylinder. Your car might have a bigger price-tag, but it does not have a rich lineage of LeMans victories nor has it established itself as a true classic like my RX-7. Anyway, I wasn't trying to insult the VW Phaeton with my previous post; I think the W12 engine is very unique and it is a nice automobile.

vintage-red RX-7 twin-turbo
RX-7 Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:27 AM   #7
Paldi
AF Newbie

If you were to ask, he'd say: "Sometimes my Ferarri or Bentley Flying Spur just aren't up to the task."

You don't appreciate something really special. My Phaeton is a Bentley with a cheap logo on it. Your Mazda is a nice car. It's your attitude towards my car that annoys me.

Stealth wealth. Get it?

Old 08-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
DropZone77
AF Newbie

Rode in one once here in Ohio at our biggest VW dealer who is now just closed out his VW store along with his Chrysler store..was as fine a riding car as my friends 07 650i Beemer , looked as good also...
DropZone77 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Phaeton