Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:06 AM   #16
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: 2006 Monte Carlo

A sin

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:53 PM   #17
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

christ.. and i thought i was harsh....
Old 05-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #18
Filthy Sanchez
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 2006 Monte Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
A sin

Amen brother. Well with a front drive lightwieght you can do great with 250hp. My uncle works for Cadillac and he said they get 90's Caddies in all the time and the V8 eats up the transaxle. As stated before not a match made in heaven. GM though seems to want to keep doing it, and just recently scrapped plans for a new rear drive platform for Monte Carlo, GTO, and possibly a return Camaro. Those GM guys are brilliant, actually they're idiots but hey who knows maybe a front drive Camaro will come along.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:00 PM   #19
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

A-too-pathetic?

Is that how to say it?

Is this a sports coupe? Then where is the basic thing called a clutch pedal?

By the way, just seen one couple days ago. I would take the old one over the new one...(Well, if I want to commit suicide after buying either of them...)
Old 06-20-2005, 01:22 AM   #20
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Styling- Bland

Fit and Finish- Terrible

Engine- might be allright

Handling- Can only get worse. FWD and V8 are not exactly a match made in heaven.
Styling: Looks just as good if not better than the competitors . You want a lineup of bland appliances, check out toyota and honda.

And you back up the fit and finish claim how again? You haven't seen one, you haven't sat in one, you haven't even looked at one from 20 feet yet. If the fit and finish is anything like the recent GM vehicles coming out, well then you're completely wrong. HHR, Cobalt, H3, etc. Anyone?

Engine: Might be alright? Yeah that's why that engine in RWD format is cosidered one of the best. Small Block Chevy V8 anyone?

Handling: So you're saying you rather have a FWD I4 or V6 like in the Camry Solara? V8 sounds good to me, even if it's in FWD format (with recent transmission and handling improvements torque steer is virtually eliminated), find me a competitor of this vehicle that beats that...

Old 06-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #21
Zachp911
AF Enthusiast

when is Chevy gonna realize that they suck at making cars?
Old 06-20-2005, 01:11 PM   #22
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludespeed501
when is Chevy gonna realize that they suck at making cars?
When will you drive a new Chevy and realize they don't suck at making cars?

Old 06-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #23
Zachp911
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenuts15792
When will you drive a new Chevy and realize they don't suck at making cars?
umm let me see... never

Just people I've talked to who own a chevy automobile say that chevys craftmanship and quality sucks ass, always something breaking.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:04 PM   #24
Wolfwood
AF Newbie

I drive japanese cars myself, but in the interests of giving credit where its due, i would like to say my dad owns a 86 chevy astro-van with 370,000 miles on it, and no engine work. The 700r4 auto trans has been replaced once at about 200,000, and no significant other work has been done on the car. Its the best damn car i've ever seen and its still running! I'm not saying all chevy's are this reliable, but its sure proved to me that they are at least capable of making a great product.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #25
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 2006 Monte Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludespeed501
umm let me see... never

Just people I've talked to who own a chevy automobile say that chevys craftmanship and quality sucks ass, always something breaking.
OH just people you talk to huh. Well come back after driving a new GM vehicle, when you have expierence.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:17 AM   #26
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenuts15792
Styling: Looks just as good if not better than the competitors . You want a lineup of bland appliances, check out toyota and honda.

And you back up the fit and finish claim how again? You haven't seen one, you haven't sat in one, you haven't even looked at one from 20 feet yet. If the fit and finish is anything like the recent GM vehicles coming out, well then you're completely wrong. HHR, Cobalt, H3, etc. Anyone?

Engine: Might be alright? Yeah that's why that engine in RWD format is cosidered one of the best. Small Block Chevy V8 anyone?

Handling: So you're saying you rather have a FWD I4 or V6 like in the Camry Solara? V8 sounds good to me, even if it's in FWD format (with recent transmission and handling improvements torque steer is virtually eliminated), find me a competitor of this vehicle that beats that...
Styling- What you're essentially saying is that a pile of runny shit looks better than a pile of vomit. Yes, the Camry is just as boring, but that does not excuse the Monte Carlo for being unspeakably bland. Looks nowhere near as good as a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon, though.

Fit and finish, look at the panel gaps most notably the front panel on the passengers side between the top panel and the cener console, the plastic panel above the cupholders looks like it wasn't put on properly, the center console and the panel around the vents/steering wheel don't meet close enough and the plastics appear to be about the same grade as an economy Nissan, American cars never have and probably never will use proper plastics in thier interiors, so yes I hardly expected an insignificant model like the Monte Carlo to lead a supposed GM attack on interior quality.

Handling- Sorry, but the Monte Carlo was sloppy as a V6 and a V8 will do nothing other than add unnecessary weight to the front of the car, provoking understeer and give the car an appetite for CV joints.
If the car eliminates torque steer, then it's probably TCS/ESP doing it, in which case it'll be slowed down to no end with the computer dictating what the car does, instead of the driver.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 06-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #27
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2006 Monte Carlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
Styling- What you're essentially saying is that a pile of runny shit looks better than a pile of vomit. Yes, the Camry is just as boring, but that does not excuse the Monte Carlo for being unspeakably bland. Looks nowhere near as good as a Holden Commodore or Ford Falcon, though.

Fit and finish, look at the panel gaps most notably the front panel on the passengers side between the top panel and the cener console, the plastic panel above the cupholders looks like it wasn't put on properly, the center console and the panel around the vents/steering wheel don't meet close enough and the plastics appear to be about the same grade as an economy Nissan, American cars never have and probably never will use proper plastics in thier interiors, so yes I hardly expected an insignificant model like the Monte Carlo to lead a supposed GM attack on interior quality.

Handling- Sorry, but the Monte Carlo was sloppy as a V6 and a V8 will do nothing other than add unnecessary weight to the front of the car, provoking understeer and give the car an appetite for CV joints.
If the car eliminates torque steer, then it's probably TCS/ESP doing it, in which case it'll be slowed down to no end with the computer dictating what the car does, instead of the driver.
Guess what, the vehicles you are talking about are not available in the U.S where this Monte Carlo is being sold. Again, I ask you, find me a competitor of this vehicle that has more exciting "unbland" styling. Want my opinion it has character unlike the appliances sold by toyota and honda....

I don't know about you, but the Commodore is pretty bland with not much attitude if you ask me...

Fit and Finish, let me remind you that these photos are from a very early preproduction model. That said. I've looked at the Hi resolution images, and the body panels have no gaps like you said, yes in the picture above in the areas that you pointed out something doesn't look right, but that is more because of compression and squeezing a hi res picture down to that size. For your enjoyment here are the Hi Res images. If you look the body gaps are very tight, and and also notice the low shine of the plastics, and the new composite materials used as trim around the dash panel and door switches.
http://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/.../10284/MC3.jpg

Oh and until you actually come to the states and sit in a new GM car, I'll take anything you say with a grain of salt..... As I've said before, I've seen, I've sat, and I've touched the material in the recent GM offerings and I'm very impressed.

And again with the handling, I doubt you've driven this car, so again I'll take what you say as a grain of salt. Again find me a competitor that offers what will be offered on the Monte Carlo. BTW, if you live where it snows, you don't always want RWD...

You my friend, seem to jump to conclusion and state stuff that has no way of being backed up. I find it hard to believe that without inspecting something up front you will jump into a thread and make comments like this. Wait strike that, I don't find it unbelievable, afterall you are Jimster.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:57 AM   #28
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Sanchez
GM though seems to want to keep doing it, and just recently scrapped plans for a new rear drive platform for Monte Carlo, GTO, and possibly a return Camaro. Those GM guys are brilliant, actually they're idiots but hey who knows maybe a front drive Camaro will come along.

You're talking about the Zeta platform? It's not scrapped, it's not dead. Holden is continuing to work on the platform, and more work is being done on a new platform called Epsilon II that will allow multiple drivetrain configurations, and multiple body styles, such as AWD, FWD, and RWD. All GM did was shift focus, and the media decided to blow everything out of proportion, but what's new...

Oh and there will be a new RWD performance car coming out, that's been pretty much confirmed, who knows though if it'll be called the Camaro.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 AM   #29
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster

Character? HUH don't kid yourself, it's a plasticky, bland looking rolling turd, if you want character then look at an Alfa, a Jaguar or a Lanica, this car is simply Americas Camry, the end. I'd also have to say that I can find plenty of cars that look better than the Monte Carlo, given it's price (About $30,000 I'd guess): Ford Five Hundred, Mazda RX8, Dodge Magnum, Volkswagen Passat, Nissan Altima, Subaru Legacy to name a few, all these cars hit the Monte Carlo for six in the visual department.

Secondly, you showed a Monte Carlo SS alongside a Commodore Executive, you DO know that the Executive is the utmost base spec Commodore, do you not? Aka the one that the police/taxi drivers go for.

Here is a Commodore SS for proper comaprisons sake
I think that it goes without saying that Holden wins the rear end view comparison comfortably as well, it's also a no-brainer that the Holden is going to offer a better performance and handling package.

I'll admit I haven't been to the US for nigh on a year now, but I have extensively driven a Cadillac CTS and found the cheapness of the plastics to be somewhat mortifying, given that it costs more over here than a 3 series or an A4 (Though at least the CTS' interior fitted properly, unlike that Monte Carlo), I'm taking it that this is one of the "new GM's" in fact it was only a small step forward over previous efforts in the interior quality stakes.

Handling? Given GM's previous FWD efforts, I really do not hold any hope for the Monte Carlo with a V8 shoehorned in it, the fact is the car should have been Rear Wheel Drive, it wasn't, dumb move.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 06-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #30
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Whatever you say Jimster, I've been here before, I'll leave it at that. Foriegners don't know shit about the american automotive industry, and you prove that. Stubborn italians.....

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General