Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Street/Track Racing Stories! Beat any Mustangs today? Tell everyone about what your Honda can do! (Keep it clean)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #16
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Well T25's don't make good turbo's on anything. For a decent junkyard turbo you can find plenty of straight T3's out there, good enough for 250-300 WHP.
I've never seen a honda make more peak torque than peak HP.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:07 PM   #17
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMAN
Well T25's don't make good turbo's on anything.
I wouldnt say that...a lot of people immediatly discredit the T-25 since it is smaller than a lot of upgraded setups. I think T-25s are excellent streetable turbos for daily drivers, and are small enough to be run safely with decent boost on most cars, with practically no lag. The Mazda 3s have them, the 2G GSX and GS-Ts had them, SR20DET SE-Rs got em, and they are the primary turbos most 240SX people go for. They can put down sizeable power with enough boost. I was doing 17-19 psi on my T-25 for about 2 months (though it *did* blow soon after, i wasnt being too smart about it ), and the car was fast enough to make people think I had actually upgraded my turbo.

For people not planning on going all out, and building their engines, T-25s are the best bang for the buck IMO for running boost on stock internals. Ofcourse, no ones arguing that with a stronger internal setup would be ideal of 16Gs and so forth, but I had a lot of fun with my T-25.

The daily driver. The weekend cruiser. The lazy shop hog.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #18
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpyder
I wouldnt say that...a lot of people immediatly discredit the T-25 since it is smaller than a lot of upgraded setups. I think T-25s are excellent streetable turbos for daily drivers, and are small enough to be run safely with decent boost on most cars, with practically no lag. The Mazda 3s have them, the 2G GSX and GS-Ts had them, SR20DET SE-Rs got em, and they are the primary turbos most 240SX people go for. They can put down sizeable power with enough boost. I was doing 17-19 psi on my T-25 for about 2 months (though it *did* blow soon after, i wasnt being too smart about it ), and the car was fast enough to make people think I had actually upgraded my turbo.

For people not planning on going all out, and building their engines, T-25s are the best bang for the buck IMO for running boost on stock internals. Ofcourse, no ones arguing that with a stronger internal setup would be ideal of 16Gs and so forth, but I had a lot of fun with my T-25.
The tiny turbine housing chokes off the engine at higher RPM's big time. A T25 is too small for anything more than a 1.5L. You are completely doing away with the fact you have a 16 valve head with such a restrictive turbine housing that can't flow for beans. Bare minimum you need a .48 A/R housing, and thats still small. With my 8 valve engine I can spool the stock T3 turbo to full boost at 2000 RPM which is WAY too small for my particular setup. For optimum power for each setup you want a turbo that spools to full boost somewhere in between 3000-4000 RPM. My super 70 spools to full boost at 3200 RPM.
The best thing about the T3 turbo is the universal flange it had, you can get almost any aftermarket intake for anything with a standard T3 flange.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #19
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
The tiny turbine housing chokes off the engine at higher RPM's big time.
A T-28 shares the same housing as the T-25, with a larger compressor wheel, and is as effective as a 16G on 4G63 DSMs... holds boost rock solid till red line..no?

Old 05-08-2005, 05:18 PM   #20
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shpyder
A T-28 shares the same housing as the T-25, with a larger compressor wheel, and is as effective as a 16G on 4G63 DSMs... holds boost rock solid till red line..no?
You can't honestly tell me you think a T28 is gonna produce as much power as a 16G??? Also, I'm not just talking compressor sides, I'm mostly talking exhaust turbines. The T25 has an inheritly small housing and the backpressure at high boost levels is obscene.
Boost holding solid til redline doesn't mean a turbo is under or oversized. I ran a mitsubishi 13c turbo on my engine for a little while and boost was rock solid on that too LOL. I've had 4 different turbo's on my car, various sizes and all held boost ''rock solid''. The 13c, 50 trim T3, 70 trim T3 w/.48 turbine housing, and the 70 trim with the .63 turbine.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #21
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo H22a hatch owns another DSM...

Quote:
You can't honestly tell me you think a T28 is gonna produce as much power as a 16G???
Its not what I *think*. Opinions and sunjectivism have little room in a technical discussion.

I got this off the net in a quick search, though this has been discussed several times in the DSM forums . Check out turbochargers.com to authenticate this, or any other on-line turbo shop such as RRE, SBR, FP, etc. I'm not doubting your claim on having run numerous turbos on your car(s). Just trying to sort out something that the most experienced turbo DSM guys have said, versus what your saying about the T-28.

A standard T-28 (not Big, not Killer, just the base) flows 500 CFM with stock housing and is rated at 300hp. Its a good upgrade for DSMers because it looks exactly stock in the engine bay (so no hassle from cops), bolts up without any sort of adapter kit, and puts down what a 16G puts down in terms of power.

A TD05H 16G (not Big, not EvoIII, just base) flows 505 CFM, and is rated at 320 hp. Different housing altogether, pretty much the same rating. Slightly cheaper than the T-28 even after you include all the adapter hardware, and a nice thing to see when you pop your hood open.

Both turbos flow almost the same CFM. Both turbos cost almost the same price for parts and labor. Both have almost the same numbers as far as performance goes. People who have run both claim there is no *noticable* difference when driving their car...both are said to spool and almost the same time, and deliver the same power...Ive never run a T-28 or a 16G to compare them myself side-by side. Have you by any chance?

My .

Last edited by Shpyder; 05-08-2005 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:59 AM   #22
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

OK my bad I've been talking the big 16G this whole time. However, back to the T28 thing here....In 1990 some turbo dodge's received T25 turbo's. There is an upgrade to a T28 wheel and clipped turbine wheel. I've seen the dyno results and he got 5-6 HP from it. The turbine housing is too much of a cork to make any more power! Simple as that. You could put a 20G wheel in the compressor but if you still have the stock turbine housing your power gain is little to none.
For my crowd, anything smaller than a T3 is shunned because even our stock turbo is a T3 garrett.
Since you have a T28, what RPM do you get full boost at? Was your turbine wheel clipped? Stock size turbine housing?
Old 05-12-2005, 03:40 PM   #23
Rampart Crawler
AF Enthusiast

The H22a you were calling slow is running 6psi w/ a T3/T4 54 trim turbo on stock internals and he did a cheap, half-assed tune.

Here is a vid of it pulling away from another modded Ecplise and blowing his motor. He has a hard time pulling down low. Guessing spool times or traction.
http://www2.wnydsm.com/members/hybri...hblowingup.mpg

So, yeah. Remember to tune your cars when you turbo them, guys. Even though his build was cheap, he now has to start over(hopefully better) The Eclipse he was racing blew his engine the month before. They just got it finished and this happens.

The H22a hatch ran 13.8@100.8 N/A.

Here's a pic...
http://img2.uploadimages.net/show.ph...1386garage.jpg
Old 05-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #24
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

Hey PWMAN, did you get my messages regarding the "retarded turbo"? (lol)

Old 01-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #25
h22eg8
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to h22eg8

If you guys think that a h22 turbo hatch would run 13's your out of your mind. I'll race that h22 turbo hatch for pinks with a non-turbo h22 =]
Old 01-14-2007, 01:50 PM   #26
Greenblurr93
Kind of a Big Deal

Send a message via MSN to Greenblurr93

wow, great post... (note the sarcasm?) break the rules and revive an old thread only to talk shit? come on man....if youre gonna break the rules at least do it with class... oh and welcome to AF
Old 01-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #27
PWMAN
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22eg8
If you guys think that a h22 turbo hatch would run 13's your out of your mind. I'll race that h22 turbo hatch for pinks with a non-turbo h22 =]
Soooo, did you happen to notice this thread is a year and a half old??? But your comment is retarded so I have to reply. A turbo H22 swap hatch running 13.8's is PATHETIC, obviously very bad tune. I'm not sure why you think that 13's is impossible, that thing should be running 12's with slicks, LSD, a good tune, and decent boost. A hatch weighs like nothing, so with 2.2 liters in it and on top of that a turbo, it makes for a powerful setup thats capable of a lot faster than 13.8. There's no replacement for displacement.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #28
BlackGT2000
AF Enthusiast

"There's no replacement for displacement."

Haha that quote does not belong in a honda forum.
-1991 Cavalier
-1997 Taurus GL
-1987 Ranger V6
-1985 Aries
Old 01-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #29
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

sorry for the asshole comments.....bad day and tired of dealing w/ retards that only can have a V8. As you can tell i didnt really read the post, just part of it and then your response....no hard feelings i hope

Last edited by Schister66; 01-17-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #30
AudioGuy93DelSol
NA is Best!

Send a message via AIM to AudioGuy93DelSol

"How many NASCAR passes is that worth? 500?" (Schumacher passing Raikkonen)

Emily is amazing, and she messed with my sig AGAIN!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Street/Track Racing Stories!