Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Engine
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine intakes, exhaust, turbos, nitrous.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 10:59 AM   #1
primera_gte
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to primera_gte
SR20VET available?

I read in SCC a few months ago about the 260 HP SR20VET engine found in some new Japanese SUV's. When are people going to start importing these engines to the USA?

primera_gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 11:29 AM   #2
b-b00gie
Banned

Send a message via AIM to b-b00gie
I called about every known Japanese engine importer a few months back.. literally went down a list of about 40 places in the US, asking them about an SR20VE not VET

They all had 1 of 3 responses...

1) Never heard of it (most popular answer)

2) That engine is too new and therefore too hard to come across right now

3) We've yet to find one but have a list for people waiting for one, would you like to be #1,000,000 on our list??

I've spoken to the owner of that NX2000 that has the VET, he had no luck with engine importers either. He aquired the engine through a friend who works at JUN in Japan and found him a used SR20VE from a Primera Camino CVT.

He added the turbo on himself. The SR20VET would be even harder to come by than the SR20VE. Also, the VE is 190HP
b-b00gie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 04:22 PM   #3
ales
Forza Schumacher

*sigh*

Would love to resume my duties as AF's own official thread bastardizer!!!
1:29:53.435 || 207.316 || 310.596
ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 05:13 PM   #4
b-b00gie
Banned

hehe.. guess we'll just have to wait it out and hope that some Japanese Primera owners will total their cars... (just kidding, lol!!)
Old 07-13-2001, 08:08 PM   #5
primera_gte
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to primera_gte
rarity

yeah, i knew it would be impossible to find a sr20vet out there. i just wanted to pose the question in case anyone had some japanese tuner/auto body connections.

the nx200 is the only sr20ve engine in america to my knowledge. i guess i'll have to wait a year to buy another p10 and refurbish it. maybe by then some poor suv sr20vet owner has mashed their vehicle. it's nice to dream.
primera_gte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2001, 02:44 AM   #6
Shobo
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Shobo
if you go to se-r.net...the sr20ve is for sale in classified.
Shobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 10:39 PM   #7
Glen
AF Newbie

Other than having a very unique vehicle, why does anyone particularly want an SR20VET? I can understand someone wanting to build a SR20VE and have nice, strong, linear, naturally aspirated power. I would imagine that you could get somewhere close to 200 - 220 streetable *wheel* hp with a built SR20VE vs. 175 wheel hp with a built SR20DE.

But, the cost involved in acquiring an SR20VET and building that engine doesn't make any sense when you can build SR20DETs to well over 400 streetable wheel hp. I doubt a built VET motor would provide smoother power delivery than a built DET.

If you have the cash to procure a SR20VET, you have enough to build a bulletproof DET with significantly more power or just turbocharge your DE with an FMAX kit.
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2001, 11:46 PM   #8
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to G22DET Send a message via AIM to G22DET
first of all....it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a SR20VET that rates 276hp from Japan because it's only available on a small SUV in japan and it just came out for the year 2000.
the guy in SCC got the VE motor and turboed it...that's very different than a VET motor...just like there is differences between a DE and a DET motor...lower compression because of the pistons, headgasket..also fuel injectors are different and most importantly, the ecu mappings are completely different.
VE is a good motor...190hp @7k rpm, redline is at 8k, while a bit low on the torque ratings..at 147ft lb..only up 10 vs. the DE. It'll be unique, espeically to us P11 owners cuz that's what the P11 in Japan had equipped..in fact, we're the only cars in Japan that's equipped with the VE motor. i happen to be able to get my hands on one for around $2500 shipped, the VE motor that is. that comes complete with ECU/harness. some guy called my shop and told me that he has 2 in stock...as of last week.
If you do decide to get the VE and wants to turbo it...you would need to get a manifold off a DET motor or you can get those Hotshot/FMAX kits which includes the manifold...BUT you better do something about your compression and definietly get the ECU remapped by guys like JWT...although you'll be looking at arond 800 or so just for that kinda remap.
all out power, DET is the way to go...i dont even like those bolt on turbo kits...but if raw power isnt your thing and you wnat to be as unique as possible, VE in a P11....hmm.....still sounds good in my mind!

GDA Power!
G22DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:03 AM   #9
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by G22DET
all out power, DET is the way to go...i dont even like those bolt on turbo kits...
Actually, if you're going to build a stupid fast turbo engine, you may as well start with a DE. The only thing the DET has that is not readily available in the US are the sodium filled valves. For less money than the valves you can get Swain Tech coatings on the valve faces and keep them cooler anyway.

Piston coolers are available from JWT. Once you take a DET over about 250-260 hp, you have to replace so many things the DE makes as much or more sense as a starting point. Install the piston coolers and low compression pistons, get the F-Max kit and go to town. The overall cost will be less starting with the DE if you are going to fully build it.

BTW, I agree with Glen about the VET..... IMHO a big waste of money if results are what you're after. If you're after exclusivity, you have to pay a huge premium for that. BTW, I feel the same way about the GTi-R engine. It's more stout, but unless you're building a 500+ hp engine, the BB DET is just as good. The GTi-R engine is almost double the price of a BB DET and for the extra money that the GTi-R costs, I can make a faster BB DET.

OK, I'm rambling again. :jump:

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2001, 12:09 AM   #10
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
all out power, DET is the way to go...i dont even like those bolt on turbo kits...
Shoot, in my ramblings, I forgot to say something....

I think what you are trying to say is that you'd rather have an engine built for a turbo internally, rather than just slap a turbo kit on a engine designed for NA.

In that I agree with you.

I know there are a lot of high powered turbo DEs out there, but that isn't the way I'd go.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

Old 07-18-2001, 12:13 AM   #11
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

it's true that once you reach close to 300HP, if you want more, you gotta change the pistons in the DET...and if building a 500HP G20 is your goal...DE or DET will get the job done....but using the power will be a bigger problem. 250HP is good enough for me and good for track fun.

I dont think the VE is a waste of money...it depends on what you view as "results"...pure number wise, VE won't make as much power as the DET with the same amoutn of money but if you view appreciation for a unique motor as a result...u'll be glad to see a VE in the engine bay.
I am still debating on whether to get VE or just put in my DET...
VE's installation will be waaay cheaper thant he DET...

GDA Power!
Old 07-18-2001, 12:14 AM   #12
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

BTW Geoff....i emailed you something...hope to hear from you soon. thanks

GDA Power!
Old 07-18-2001, 12:52 AM   #13
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
it's true that once you reach close to 300HP, if you want more, you gotta change the pistons in the DET...
Actually, you have to replace the MAF, injectors, and turbo as well. BTW, this happens before 300 hp. The MAF maxes out around 250-260 as do the 370cc injectors.

This is why I tell people to consider building a DE if you are doing a major rebuild. In the end it can actually end up cheaper.

Quote:
and if building a 500HP G20 is your goal...DE or DET will get the job done....but using the power will be a bigger problem. 250HP is good enough for me and good for track fun.
I couldn't agree more on both points. There is a real lust for hp on the SE-R list, but some of the guys have been disappointed because all that power isn't useable. One person in particular built a major stupid fast turbo B14, but couldn't put the power down. He lived in fear of breaking the gearbox. It just wasn't as much fun to drive all the time.

People have asked me what I plan to do to my DET since I built an all out NA engine for my SE-R (same engine as Mike Kojima's SCC Project SE-R engine). They are surprised when I tell them I'm keeping nearly stock. I want proven, low hassle power. I also think 250 hp is plenty fun for the chassis. It's about all the chassis can competently deal with IMHO.

Quote:
I dont think the VE is a waste of money...it depends on what you view as "results"...pure number wise, VE won't make as much power as the DET with the same amoutn of money but if you view appreciation for a unique motor as a result...u'll be glad to see a VE in the engine bay.
That's pretty much what I said I think. I agree with you. If your goal is dyno results, the DET is the winner. If you have other goals, only you can decide. I think a VE would be really cool.

Quote:
I am still debating on whether to get VE or just put in my DET...
VE's installation will be waaay cheaper thant he DET...
Wow! Really?

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

Old 07-18-2001, 01:05 AM   #14
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

labor on the VE that i can get my hands on is easy because it comes with the ecu/harness and it's actually off a 1998 JDM P11 Primera....basically take DE out and put VE in...but the intercooler looks so cool and the phhhhhshiiiiiiii sound of the BOV is even cooler!! hahaha...

GDA Power!
Old 07-18-2001, 08:55 AM   #15
b-b00gie
Banned

hmm.. you could always get the VE and get this...

http://www.takakaira.com/php/template.php3?id=163&cat=3

HAHAHAHAHHA!!! :o

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > Engine