Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
PhoenixSicknessHD
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2001 Pontiac Grand Am Se 3.4l V6 Not starting

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am se that was overheating and I found out that it had a blown headgasket and the fuel pump was going out. So I changed the head gasket and fuel pump. After all that I proceeded to start it but all it did was crank and not start. I did Research on the passlock and bypassed it and the security light stopped blinking and went away but all it did was crank and not start. Could the timing be off and cause it not to start? It gets correct ammout of fuel and correct compression? Also the timing chain is loose enough for me to jiggle it.
PhoenixSicknessHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Pontiac Grand Am Se 3.4l V6 Not starting

You didnt mention spark. Will it start with starting fluid?
Plugs wet or dry?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
PhoenixSicknessHD
AF Newbie

It gets spark but it does not start with starting fluid.
Also fuel pump is making noise like it should and relays are working injectors are working.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

You need fuel, spark, spark at the right time and compression. One of these is missing. If it ran before the head job, then I would suspect something is not right with your work.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
PhoenixSicknessHD
AF Newbie

Started taking the heads off to check to see if anything is wrong with my work. I only changed one head gasket cause the rear head gasket seemed alittle too complicated to to repair but I will go ahead and take just the rear head gasket off and replace it with the new headgasket it came with when I changed the first gasket. Also I did notice that there was some coolant on my pistons when I did the first head gasket and now that I removed the timing chain cover I can see that the rear heads are gonna probably be similiar to the front heads so. I just need to know if changing just one headgasket can also cause a no start crank condition. But as I said before the timing chain has play on one side but the other side has no play at all.headbolt.jpg The heads looked nothing like the heads in this picture but they were much better looking.

Last edited by PhoenixSicknessHD; 05-22-2014 at 09:58 AM.
PhoenixSicknessHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Wow, could have saved yourself a lot of work, with a little bit of diagnosis first....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
PhoenixSicknessHD
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
Wow, could have saved yourself a lot of work, with a little bit of diagnosis first....
g
Did alot of diagnosis before I began the headgasket repair. But I only took one head off and the rear headgasket was not blown so I decided not to change it.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Tech II
AF Fanatic

How did you determine it was the front head gasket that was leaking? Why was the timing cover taken off? Now you are taking the lower intake off again to do the rear head? And you are not even sure if the head gasket needs to be replaced....the SECURITY light? It only started flashing AFTER you did the first head job?

So it just doesn't sound like proper diagnosis and a lot of wasted time and work....but, just my opinion....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
PhoenixSicknessHD
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech II View Post
How did you determine it was the front head gasket that was leaking? Why was the timing cover taken off? Now you are taking the lower intake off again to do the rear head? And you are not even sure if the head gasket needs to be replaced....the SECURITY light? It only started flashing AFTER you did the first head job?

So it just doesn't sound like proper diagnosis and a lot of wasted time and work....but, just my opinion....
I pulled the rear head off because in the process of checking the timing chain, I noticed antifreeze in the rear head so I took it off to clean it and since I already had the rear head off I went ahead and changed the head gasket as well. But is the timing chain supposed to be loose on one end and tight on the other?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM