Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
ColtonW
AF Newbie

Exclamation A/F - Tuning Issues 92 talon tsi awd turbo. 6bolt

Ok Recently I've finished taking the motor out of the car, Changing the transmission (because the other tranny was fuckered when i bought the car)
put the engine back in, Re-did fluids in X-fer-rear dif etc standard stuff.

I also under went a massive upgrade compared to all stock aswell,
The list of things now in the car now, And after the problem i have, related to the tuning of it

-3Inch MassAirflow system
-1990 eclipse GSX throttle body - (3Inch instead of the 1Inch the stock talon has)
-front mount Inter Cooler pipes go around passenger tire up into motor.
-Big blow off valve after Inter Cooler
-Mass Air Flow Sensor is located after Inter Cooler and Blow Off Valve
-Changed Turbo's To an EVOIII , Thats what it says on the turbo, Its alot larger than the stock turbo, I got it from a friend of mine.
- Bottled Straight pipe
- Filter on the sucking side of the turbo (fairly standard To others who've done this Quite alot im sure)
-Larger Injectors Tho i do not know the size.. Given to my by a friend, I will have to look them up what CC they are, But the Tips are not Blue, They are Yellow.
-MAFT gen Translator air/fuel translator
-Boost Controller, brand is Turbo Smart. one of the turn nobs
-Whole Bunch of Gauges, Oil/Air/Boost/RPM/Temp/Low band

I don't have a WideBand O2 sensor which im sure i really really need, But i do have the Low band O2 sensor, But im hoping to be able to do this tune,

The problem is that I no longer have Jam in the car. I tried tuning it, and before i changed the 1" throttled body that was stock to the 3inch from the GSX i'd have massive launches to 60km in first then 2nd is sluggish. no jam anymore, but it had a boost leak/vac leak from the 1inch cause it was 3 inch and i redneck rigged it up, now put the 3" throttle body on. Idle is fixed, But My MAFT settings must be wrong, cause i really don't know how to set it very well. which is what i need help with, Because now i have no jam, But it seems like its extremely lean or Maybe too rich im not sure, it does shoot a pretty kick ass flame out the exhaust tho , Anyone Use this type of set up or familiar with it, and tuning on the MAFT gen 2 translator?? I was reading that i can use my laptop to tune this device with tuner pro and TPCU to monitor the tunings.. I'm not familiar at all with the MAFT device. or what i should be expecting out of the car with all thats under the hood now, heres some pictures of my set up, Before i changed the throttle body, Don't have new ones yet but its pretty much all the same. some vac hoses got moved

PS I gutted the AC no Air Condition components exist what so ever haha
ColtonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
ColtonW
AF Newbie

Re: A/F - Tuning Issues 92 talon tsi awd turbo. 6bolt

This is my first time doing anything of the sort, Never worked on this type of car before in my life, Got it ripped the motor out and gave it shit. alot of reading from the repair manual tho.. lol google.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
ColtonW
AF Newbie

The Turbo is a 16G,
PS. if your wondering whats on my Dip Stick, yes. It is duct tape. and NO, It wasn't me. it's gunna be removed. it did have problems with the dipstick blowing out at high temps because of oil pressure because it was to full. pretty sure i got that figured out now tho.

Last edited by ColtonW; 08-21-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

You cant just throw in larger injectors and expect the car to run. And if you dont even know what size the injectors are how are you going to compensate for the extra fuel you will be getting? You need something to tune the car with before you can even run it with those injectors. You should be able to take out some fuel with the MAFT but you still dont know how much. You will need a WB02 and some way to log the ECU and read the fuel trims. Thats the only way you will really be able to tell if you have the injectors dialed in or not.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
ColtonW
AF Newbie

The injectors are 510CC yellow top. the turbo is pushing more air aswell, I'm wondering if The Program TunerPro and using TPCU to monitor things will work correctly? And a Slight judge and listening using the Lowband O2 because i cant afford the wideband right now. I knew i needed one before to see exactly whats going on.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

1" to a 3" throttle body?.... The TSI AWD and GSX should be identical. Only difference is appearance and name. I don't think I have ever seen a 1" throttle body before... Anywho, welcome to the DSM world. My first suggestion to you would be to read read read. There is a lot to learn about turbocharged setups on these cars. It's awesome that you have ambitions to rip right into things on the car but it would really benefit you to learn as much as you can about these motors and cars before tearing into things. I've seen too many people get into these cars and rip things apart only to never finish them due to complications and problems. You should be able to find a fair amount of good information here in the Tech Articles section. We gathered together a lot of it when we were all really active and into it. Tuning is a big thing to jump right into without much knowledge about it. I might suggest starting with the basics on these things first and then get into some more worth while upgrades.
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #7
ColtonW
AF Newbie

About the throttle body, On the stock talons they got alot more vac lines and the talon has this shitty 2 part set up where theres a nozzle on the end of the turbo charged ones that funnels into a 1" which made it difficult to seal my boost/vac and gave me idle problems, so i ripped the GSX one off and it on there because its a one part piece and the end of it opens to 3" like the rest of them do, I find it weird tho haha cause the automatic talons have 3" ones but on the turbo ones i see all have those gay 1" nozzles lol. and yeah i've been reading like crazy, And i WILL finish this car. i got this far, I'm going to build the engine to handle everything and learn more of tuning, get it semi tuned, and haul it to a person who has a dyno and knows how to professionally tune this car, Hopefully have it ready for next spring gotta go back to work tho, fall is comming and my summer project car is outta time and funding for now, The cranks i was looking at, all of them were around 2.3 grand-3.3grand, then piston heads/ arms, Someone suggested getting my block O-ringed, so im sure i'll have to strip the guts out, send block out, while the cranks/-pistons/gaskets get shipped to me im exited haha. Atleast that way i wont have to worry about blowing it up rendering the block/head completely useless. I don't like to half ass things. thanks for the influence, I'm open to constructive criticism.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #8
ColtonW
AF Newbie

I hand't known what size those injectors were because when i got them from my friend he hadn't told me, I simply looked them up, they match the turbo since they are paired with that type of turbo. i figure i gotta spend atleast another 15k on the car, Some brands of great high performance cranks/pistons/transfer case/rear dif, would be appreciated and ignition system, and possible where i could find a carbon fiber drive shaft. I'm having a hard time finding legit places to buy the ideal parts i will need, once again thanks. <-- i have a GSX trans in the talon because the talons trans was shot.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
ColtonW
AF Newbie

ohh, and one more thing, Know a site where i can order body panels? i figure it would be alot cheaper to buy them rather than get body work done.
Now, all my info about the internals of the engine and what i need may not be perfect or prices, But i figure if imma do it, I may aswell do it with the best parts sure it will be costly, But atleast when it's said and over with, I can be like F*$K yea. Thats mine. So thats why im asking you guy's You've built your motors already and know where to get the stuff that can handle 25+ PSI
Old 08-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
ColtonW
AF Newbie

Also, Is there a Kit for the transmission/Clutch that has minimal lag between the gears? while shifting? like Top Notch stuff too. I'm not afraid to spend the money. The car is worth it to me, In 10-20 years how many first gen DSM's are gunna be around? probably not many. + i like going fast.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

You probably won't be able to find body panels online really... Maybe ebay or some forums where somebody might be parting out a car. Junkyards are your best bet or actually doing the body work on the existing panels if they aren't too bad... What do you mean by minimal lag between gears? Is this an automatic or manual? Shepherd Transmissions builds rock solid transmissions for DSMs. Great quality and great guy to deal with. He built the transmission in my 2g and I would go to him again if I get another DSM in the future. Just an FYI, you don't really need to worry about things like the crank and spending a ton of money on that. The internals in these motors are pretty solid for quite a bit of power before you need to upgrade them.
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
ColtonW
AF Newbie

its a 5 speed, I was looking at shepards trans but i didn't see anything up for this car all i saw as GT-R and stuff, maybe if i call there. he probably could do it, would be expensive but worth it, And someone told me that even if i did my head gasket up, with me pushing 25-30PSI i would end up blowing an arm out or something along the lines of that, But i've seen the blocks in these motors when i ripped it out, and on the parts cars i got. They're solid as hell, even more than my trucks block, So you being correct, and i would assume because the person i was talking to never modified a talon, I could just do my head gasket? and tune it and im good to go? if thats the case ill go out and get a head gasket tomorrow and try and tune that motherF*$Ker right now haha! I'm not planning on going all out balls nuts, But if i needed to because of turning my boost all the way up etc. I would.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
ColtonW
AF Newbie

I'm not building a car for drag racing the big league guys and stuff, I like going fast etc, and it will be driven fairly often.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis