Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #46
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

Re: 2005 Grand hard start and random shut off while driving

which i recently had a similar problem with my 99 SE, with 365K miles, randomly dying on my while i was driving.
i thought it might be my security or ignition switch, which is original, but it was not showing any codes. mine ended up being a connection on the ICM lose.
Lor411 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #47
Lor411
AF Newbie

ignition Control module? I did have the module changed, but not the wires checked. Thanks.
Lor411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #48
eboskie1
AF Newbie

I have the same exact problem as you do! I have a 2005 pontiac grand am se and it randomly shuts off while driving. The car also wont start until the engine light it ON no matter how many times you try it wont turn over. So any luck with your car?
eboskie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #49
Lor411
AF Newbie

Not yet, I will be taking it to a GM guy for diagnostics in the next month or so with all the info over the past 4years. To me it seems the problem could very well be the PCM or wiring issues as there is evidence of rodents under the hood. Or it could be both. I have never taken the car to a qualified mechanic, the local guy basically doesn't have the tools required. All I know right now is that my car has been sitting there for months, and now with a dead battery....and of course, I have one more payment left on it. You will definitely hear from me on this forum if the problem(s) is solved..I'm just hoping it is not a lost cause..this all started only 8 months after I bought it..I hate car dealers!!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #50
eboskie1
AF Newbie

Thanks for the update. Sorry you haven't found a resolution yet but I hope you do soon without breaking the bank. It really sucks because the car runs great except it turns off while turning a corner or really anything... I want to keep it but need something reliable for work.. I have also ran into the security issue where you have to let it sit in the on position for 10 minutes which is bothersome but nothing compared to losing power steering on the freeway
Old 11-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #51
Lor411
AF Newbie

Ok, Just got my car back from a GM guy. He replaced the battery which was dead from sitting for a year, and said that when the car was started, then stalled, the code was showing that the ignition switch jumped to accessory and the car shut down. I did replace the ignition switch , if you remember.. and the car was great for about 6-8 weeks of occasional driving...which is what I told him when he asked me..but I did not purchase a GM switch...so of course I had him put one in. Well... I drove it for over an hour and it ran perfect, shut it off several times stopping at different places...started right up. I suppose the first switch I had put in could have failed, and also could have been damaged I guess when the first guy could not get the key out of the cylinder and had to replace that as well....Time can only tell so once again, I will cross my fingers and keep you posted!
Old 11-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #52
eboskie1
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor411 View Post
Ok, Just got my car back from a GM guy. He replaced the battery which was dead from sitting for a year, and said that when the car was started, then stalled, the code was showing that the ignition switch jumped to accessory and the car shut down. I did replace the ignition switch , if you remember.. and the car was great for about 6-8 weeks of occasional driving...which is what I told him when he asked me..but I did not purchase a GM switch...so of course I had him put one in. Well... I drove it for over an hour and it ran perfect, shut it off several times stopping at different places...started right up. I suppose the first switch I had put in could have failed, and also could have been damaged I guess when the first guy could not get the key out of the cylinder and had to replace that as well....Time can only tell so once again, I will cross my fingers and keep you posted!
So it's looking like for your circumstance at least, the root cause is the ignition switch went faulty and possibly installed wrong the first time? Do you now have the GM switch in or an aftermarket switch and how much did it cost roughly?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #53
Lor411
AF Newbie

Yes they put the GM part in. It was 151.86 plus tax..double of what I paid for the first one...I hope this was the issue.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #54
xeroinfinity
out saving the world

these are cheap plastic switches and break rather easily IMO. hopefully the GM part will solve your issues.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #55
eboskie1
AF Newbie

I am getting my ignition switch swapped out tomorrow. BTY did the engine turn off and stay off or does it still come on and need to be on for you to start the car?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #56
Lor411
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboskie1 View Post
I am getting my ignition switch swapped out tomorrow. BTY did the engine turn off and stay off or does it still come on and need to be on for you to start the car?
When I put the key in the ON position-if the Check Engine light came on--I would hear the fuel pump prime, then when I went to start it it would start right up.

If I put the key in the ON position and the Check Engine light DID NOT come on--the fuel
pump would not prime, and the car would not start.

So I always knew when the car would start or not. I would keep trying until it eventually did.

Hope this helps..BTW, Car has been working perfectly so far. The GM guys put 100 miles on it when testing. So now it's a matter of driving and waiting...I'm still pretty anxious about driving, hopefully that will wear off!

Last edited by Lor411; 12-27-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Originally posted "First Position" Should have read "On Position" which I've fixed
Old 12-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #57
Gitau
AF Newbie

Hello people... it seems this problem of cars shutting down while driving is quite common, and dangerous if I may mention that. I have had the problem with two different Toyota models - Chaser (2002 model) and IST (2004 model) and Subaru Impreza GG2, and my brother is having the problem now with Toyota Voxy (2005 model).
I fixed my three cars by replacing the EFI relay (used "higher rating" one!!), the first time by fluke, the other 2 times by experience! However, the Voxy is not responding to this "fluke". I have read above threads, and we may have to replace the ignition system (trial n error)... will update our lack thereof!
But the big Q is - what r the makers of these cars saying? The computer system does not pick the error!!
Gitau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gitau For This Useful Post:
Lor411 (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #58
Lor411
AF Newbie

When I initially brought the car to my mechanic, he did not pick up a code either, but GM did. In my case my mechanic did not have the required equipment I suppose. Anyway, the car has been perfect since the second Ignition Switch (GM brand) was installed. Been driving it every day, so far so good!
Old 01-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #59
eboskie1
AF Newbie

I am having trouble finding a replacement part. Do you happen to have a part number or able to get one?
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #60
eboskie1
AF Newbie

I meant after you changed the ignition switch does the engine light still need to be on for you to start the car or did that go away after you swapped it out. I notice now that when I am trying the engine light will turn off then turn back on after a while.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Grand AM