Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
WiNnErPL
AF Newbie

HELP! My civic in a bad accident. INSURANCE, PLEASE HELP

Ok well I won't type up (unless someone wants to) how the accident happened but my 2003 civic hit a fence straight in the front. I won't lie it looks bad. Airbags popped, windshield cracked whole front of car looks horrible. Can't even open the hook (lock got jammed to say the least), and worst the wheel axle got shoved back a couple of inches. The tow guy said no engine oil leaked. I do not know too much about cars yet but I know it's bad. Now here's the rest of the situation.

I got ALlstate insurance full coverage (thank god), $500 deducatable and law is if cost to repair is more than 60% of the purchase price then they willl take teh car and sell it and give me back purcahse price. (I paid aroudn $13,000 for it). Now a guy came and offered to pay for the deducable and tow it for free if he'll fix it. I said OK and allowed him to tow it to his shop. Now my dad came and they talked and he says he doesn't know how much it will cost, but he estimates $7000 (notice that $7000<60% of $13000). Ok and we have to wait for the appraiser from Allstate to come and see how much damage happened and what it willl cost to repair.

Now I'm worried that the mechanic will say that he'll fix it for $7000 and end up doing a sh*tty job on it. But he seems allright and has experience with insurance. What would you do?

I also thought about having it towed to a Honda dealership, where they said they fix accident cars (charge $95/hour for mechanical work). But I called my local dealership and they acted like dic*s about it. In that case I have to pay for towing to there.

What's your assesment of this? Any insight and honest advice is greatly appreciated.
WiNnErPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
jeremyp969
AF Newbie

Well I wouldn't assume they're going to say your car is worth 13,000, it will probably be a lot less. Go to Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com) and check out the trade-in worth of the car. That would be my first step.
jeremyp969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
boomersoonercivic
AF Newbie

Re: HELP! My civic in a bad accident. INSURANCE, PLEASE HELP

most companies will only pay you the ACV (actual cash value) of your car. if they total it out you would probably get 10k on a good day if it cost 13k new. it all depends on how many miles are on it. you may want to read your policy and make sure that they dont off replacement cost on new vehicle. that means that they will pay you what it costs to by a new 2004 model. being an insurance agent i deal with this alot. i dont work for allstate but with alot of companies if you buy a new vehicle and total it out within the first 15 mo. or 15k miles they will pay you the replacement cost minus your deductible. check into it before you agree on anything. also keep in mind, insurance companies arent in the business of giving out money so they will do what is cheapest for them. just make sure that its best for you too. dont accept a check until you know what the situation is. i hope this helps and ill be happy to answer any other questions you might have.
boomersoonercivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:36 PM   #4
madmaxEKhatchB18C5
AF Enthusiast

Re: HELP! My civic in a bad accident. INSURANCE, PLEASE HELP

also contact Allstate and have them give you a list of garages they normally work with...i would not just get one estimate for this sort of an accident...you don't want someone to low-ball the repair cost, just so the car won't be considered totalled and then they'll only be able to do a crap repair job, b/c you won't be paying them enough to do it right.
get at least 2 estimates...good luck
madmaxEKhatchB18C5 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV