Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Renault > Clio/Clio II/Clio III
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 03:51 AM   #1
mcyates
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to mcyates Send a message via AIM to mcyates Send a message via Yahoo to mcyates
Clio 1.2 Idling Eratically and Stalling!!!

My Clio is 2 years old and i have done 70,000 miles in it but when i come to a stop and put the clutch down, the electronic warning light comes on and it starts idling eratically. To stop the idling problem i have to rev the engine (which makes the electronic warning light go off) if i dont rev the engine then the car will stall within 10 sec.

Sometimes the car just decides to stop running without any warning, usually when turing into a roundabout, when slowing down with the clutch fully pressed.

What could this be?

Thanks in advance
mcyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 08:29 AM   #2
sarahwoo
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Clio 1.2 Idling Eratically and Stalling!!!

I've had a clio for just over a year and have experienced major problem including the same as yours and starting problems. I continuously took my clio back to Renualt Watford over the cutting out problem and was made to feel that it was my driving as nothing ever happened when it was in the garage. Finally after 3 months or so they finally decided to reprogramme the icu and i never had a problem with the cutting out again. There is a which? report which you can get up on google search telling you about the problem. Renault Watford has recently replaced my car with one thats four months newer due to the problem, but it turns out that this new car is worse than the one before. i will never touch another Renault again!!!!!!!!
sarahwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #3
schwinners
AF Newbie

Re: Clio 1.2 Idling Eratically and Stalling!!!

Wow, know this is a very old thread but I hope by resurrecting it someone can help me. I am experiencing the exact same problem as mcyates above, and it's really annoying me!

I have tried to find the which online article but I can't - not sure whether the archives go back that far? Anyone happen to know where I might get a copy?

Also, sarah mentions a reprogramming of the ICU above - any ideas on cost? I have a 2002 1.2 Clio Dynamique

Many thanks in advance
Tom
schwinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 04:11 PM   #4
nicke1987
AF Newbie

Hiya Tom,

Sounds like a crank sensor problem, because the sensor can't tell the crank is turning propperly it can't send the message back to the ecu to tell it to spark. My advise would be to get it plugged into a renault diagnostics computer. My brother is a mechanic and he always deals with my clio if i have issues, would you like me to ask him how much it would cost to get it plugged in?

Nicke x
nicke1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
schwinners
AF Newbie

Nicke

Thanks for your reply - will try and find my nearest place that has a renault diagnostics computer.

If you could ask him how much it costs that would be great!

Thanks
Tom
schwinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
nicke1987
AF Newbie

Yeah i will ask him as soon as i can.

Nicke x
nicke1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 AM   #7
LOULOU26
AF Newbie

My Clio 1.2 Dynamique 51reg Is Also A Load Of Crap.it Starts And Cuts Out When The Feeling Takes It .its A Very Random Thing Sometimes It Dont Play Up For Weeks Then You Go Shoppin And Realise You Cant Get Home Again!!!!!wil Never Have Renault Again.wil Stick To British Cars From Now On
LOULOU26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Stefanel1
AF Enthusiast

Which British cars ?.... !!
And this kind of "opinions" from someone working for the concurrence is quite useless.

Citroën C6 - Alfa Romeo 159
Stefanel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Phantom2683
AF Newbie

I have a clio 1.2 54 reg. Also had this problem of when idling the engine would try to stall. Also, sometimes the engine would lose power. After lots of time spent head scratching we found it to be the oxygen sensor. This was replaced and since then, everything has been fine.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Phantom2683 is offline   Reply With Quote