Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Pick-Up
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Question 1981 Toyota Hilux (22R, 2WD)

I am restoring a 1981 Toyota Hilux (22r, 2WD, Automatic).

I have replaced the entire cooling system - water pump, radiator, radiator cap, hoses, thermostat... Problem: my overflow is holding coolant hostage. It sucks it up and it doesn't get sucked back out and into the engine. If I don't transfer fluid back into the radiator my truck will eventually overheat. There is a heater but it does not work (yet) - water isn't flowing through the system even though the heater core is clear (I checked).

I've heard it through the grapevine that an air pocket could cause the problem I am having with the overflow... so considering water isn't flowing into the heater core and out (back into the engine) could THIS also be what is causing my overflow problem? What the heck is going on with my heater?

Cheers!

Last edited by LadyMe; 11-26-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I figured out a few things on my own and didn't want anyone to waste their time on a solved problem.
LadyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
LadyMe
Rag Doll

Re: 1981 Toyota Hilux (22R, 2WD)

Update! Problem solved but not fixed.

I found a clog in a most inconvenient place. Not only does this address the problem with my overflow holding fluid hostage but it also solves the problem with my heater as the clog is at the base of the hose that feeds the fluid back into my engine, which explains why the fluid isn't moving up into the heater core from the radiator.

Unfortunately for me, it's not just the hose that is clogged - but the "nipple" it attaches to is also clogged (& curvy & hard to get to). LoL, perfect storm. So... if you are finding this thread and having a similar problem then you may want to check the hard to reach & impossible to look into "nipples" as well as the hoses. While it's still a work in progress the healing process has begun!

UPDATE: The nipple is cleared. I snaked it out with my old choke cable and used a hose to capture the ick and pull it out (one tiny bit at a time)... but it worked. My coolant is makes it round trip through the engine now. My overflow is no longer holding my coolant hostage and I can have a thermostat in without any problems. WooHoo!

Cheers!

Last edited by LadyMe; 12-06-2013 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Problem solved, no advice given, so I simplified the thread + solution
LadyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Pick-Up