Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
Roy vd M.
AF Newbie

Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix (1/8)

The plan is to build a 1/8th scale Grand Prix car of 1927, the Delage 15-S-8.

Measurements were taken, now I'll have to turn those into a 3D drawing. After that the building of the scale model can begin... but we're a long way from that. It is my current intention to make a video log of my progress, as that seems to facilitate both explanation and understanding of what I'm doing.

Hope you'll enjoy!

This is the subject at hand:

Vlog 1: introduction to this model

Vlog 2: intro to Fusion 360 (1/2)

Vlog 3: intro to Fusion 360 (2/2)

Vlog 4: quiz!

This is how things stand now.

By the way, no adverts and no monetizing in my videos... they are just for fun and sharing passion!
Roy vd M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
racer1
AF Regular

Re: Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix (1/8)

great project
Roy vd M. (12-15-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

That's quite the undertaking. I'll follow!
I don't really like video build reports, but I watched yours now. Nice work!
I will go and check out Fusion 360 now. I'm using Autodesk Alias at work and also to design parts for my modeling projects but it's really not the best ( quickest ) tool for mechanical parts. I've been wanting to learn Solidworks for that ( time so far not permitting... ) but maybe Fusion is better, because it might be closer to Alias, coming from the same company.
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaykay640 For This Useful Post:
bluaerio (01-04-2019)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Roy vd M.
AF Newbie

Thanks Racer1 and Jaykay640 for your interest.

JK, I think there may be some added value to posting some screenshots with explanatory / illustrative text, along the videos. I've been thinking of doing that from my 5th vlog... hope to be able to prepare that during the last week of this year.

Fusion 360 took me about 10 hours to learn (the basics) before I felt confident enough to start working on the Delage model. The software is quite intuitive.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Roy vd M.
AF Newbie

The fifth vlog is ready. I'll first explain why I won't use my previous drawing...

Simply put, because it had become too disorganised. I failed to divide the drawing into subassemblies and components.

And then we finally start drawing the model!

Until part of the shackle is finalised.

The video is 3 minutes. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Jtsd2I8pw
Old 12-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #6
Roy vd M.
AF Newbie

New vlog in a new format... instead of 7 to 12 hours it now took me a little over half an hour to make (pros and cons of course... let's see how this new design will be received; there is no explanation but I'm always open for questions and remarks about the videos and used techniques etc.; I'll now have more time to do the drawing and, later on, scale modelling):

https://youtu.be/lswP7M99Y98
Old 01-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
Roy vd M.
AF Newbie

On my 1/8th scale model I intend to implement functional braking, including drum brakes that are actuated by brake shoes with some sort of brake lining. The only thing I won't try to replicate is the mechanical servo, as I don't want to fit the model with a motor. But the plan is to have brake pedal pressing result into actuated drum brakes.

I also would like the handbrake to be functional, so that I can have rotating wheels installed on the car which I'll be able to block so that the model won't roll whenever on a sloped surface.

Finally I want to have a functional gas pedal-to-carburettor linkage.

The last couple of days I spent starting the sorting and categorising all pictures and videos (defragmenting them) I have collected. As this is fairly boresome, at the same time I did research on all the linkages on the left side of the gearbox and engine. At first glance it looks like a daunting and complex assembly:

But once the rods and arms are individualized and marked (I used Gimp for that), comparing with photos and videos, it becomes clear what is what:

Let's watch this in detail.

The light green rods are for the brake system. The left rod is actuated by the brake pedal (other side of the engine). It pulls the 'clutch' for the mechanical brake drum (=the wheel on the right side of the photo). That wheel is then driven by the propeller shaft, but only for a partly rotation. Through that rotation, the light green rod to the right is pulled. This energy is distributed to the four drum brakes of the car.

The dark green rod is for the handbrake.

The dark blue linkage is connected to the gas pedal, as well as a lever with a knob that arises above the gearbox body. I guess that lever is used to control the stationary RPM of the engine.

I do not know what the light blue rod is for. It might be a gearbox support strut.

Finally the olive coloured rods. They appear to be linked (only) to a lever situated next to the previously discussed stationary RPM-lever. The olive rods are connected to something at the engine side. I don't know what this is for.

Here the dark blue linkage to the carburettor, as well as the olive rod. I don't know what this rod is connected to (=what the lever is used for).

And finally the utmost connection to the carburettor.

If any of you have any thoughts about the above, especially the items in bolt, I'd much welcome them.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports