Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
bradcfi
AF Newbie

Question RX-8 winter tires?

Anyone looking into winter tires for this winter? I understand that most of you posters are from warm climates but there must be some owners from Northern states.

I bought my RX-8 last Jan. doing a snowstorm, it really helped with the price, but once I got home I couldn't get it out of the driveway for two weeks. Those Bridgestones may be the best for wet and dry but they'll spin on a forecast of snow.

Last edited by bradcfi; 07-13-2004 at 01:27 PM.
bradcfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
mx3man
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mx3man
Re: RX-8 Snow tires?

i dont think too many people drive their 8's in the snow :/ mine would be sitting in a heated garage if I had one.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #3
bradcfi
AF Newbie

Re: Re: RX-8 Snow tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx3man
i dont think too many people drive their 8's in the snow :/ mine would be sitting in a heated garage if I had one.
Good idea but I'm not really talking about a lot of snow. In the case that mine was stuck, the driveway had been shoveled and the streets were clean but the little bit that stayed adhered to the asphalt was enough, on an incline to stop the car from going anywhere. However my wifes TL and the neighbors minivan didn't slip once going up the same slope. And lets not forget this this is a daily driver for most.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:27 PM   #4
bradcfi
AF Newbie

For those that care about winter tires. I have found an excellent albeit expensive winter tire. It's Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 with UNI-T 225/45R/18
Old 07-14-2004, 08:14 AM   #5
WV85RX7
AF Newbie

If you must drive the car in the snow and slush, try to find a set of cheap, cheap rims maybe a 15" or 16" wheel and find tires in a size that will compensate for the stock wheel and tire diameter. If that's not practical- get a set of wheel chains for the rear. I had good success with the cable type when I had a Honda CRXsi many years ago... However- It is much easier IMO to swap tires than fiddle with chains on a cold and mucky day. Pop the nice rims and tires off, slap the winter boots on and go, go, go. Swap back when the weather improves. Takes 20 minutes tops in my garage.

I have a spare set of shoes for my daily beater- 96 Subaru Impreza. I have a set of studded snow/ice tires for nasty weather (Of course- I live waaaaayy down a gravel lane with some nice hills to climb, too.)
WV85RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:01 AM   #6
bradcfi
AF Newbie

Not much snow in KC but 2 or 3 snows a month during the cold season. The tire I mentioned reportedly is a replacement for studed tires in Canada where the studes a going illegal.

BTW what about your pressure sensors and stability control computer not to mention speedo? Won't the smaller wheels throw all that into a tezy?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #7
Mazdaspeed Ninja
AF Newbie

Yeah, the tires on the RX8 (potenzas) are the same (almost) that are on the Mazdaspeed Protege. Let me tell you that driving on these in winter is a mistake YOU DO NOT want to make. If you are lucky enough to get going...you have no chance of stopping. They are not in any way rated for snow and unless you want a guaranteed accident....NEVER drive on them in snow!! You have been warned!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:06 PM   #8
D3rELiC
AF Enthusiast

an rx8 must be a blast to drive on the snow, seriously.
find some studded tires for realy hard northen temperature. dont know if their legal in ur state tho
D3rELiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
RX-8SpdDmn
AF Newbie

[quote=WV85RX7]If you must drive the car in the snow and slush, try to find a set of cheap, cheap rims maybe a 15" or 16" wheel and find tires in a size that will compensate for the stock wheel and tire diameter. If that's not practical- get a set of wheel chains for the rear.

You can't put 15s on and I'm pretty sure you can't put 16s on, either, because they won't clear the brake calipers up front. Also, you'd be nuts to put chains on a car like this. The vibration will tear the bushings and suspension mounts apart.

Now, let's say you're gonna get 17" Wheels and proper snow tires (as I would have to do upon buying an RX-8). There's the issue of the tire montioring b.s. Apparently, you can't use any wheel/tire combo other than stock, says Mazda. I have, however, seen an RX-8 with 17s and snow tires. I don't know if there were any repercussions from doing that, though.
RX-8SpdDmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:15 AM   #10
doctorr
AF Newbie

Most Excellent...

I drove my '8 all last winter, with good tires it is great!

No chance of finding a set of 'cheap cheap' rims, the smallest you can go (on the Canadian GT model) is 17".

Some of the Montreal owners got a group buy together at Talon tire, I got in on it and bought FRD rims and Toyo Garit tires. My car has no TPM system, so no sensors needed. The Garits have crushed nut shells in the compound, ice feels like it has already been sanded, a great improvement in traction. The larger rubber % of the 17s also give a much better ride than the stock RE040s, which I actually prefer (Guess my age is showing!)

My car was my daily driver, had to build my own oil pan heater because the MORONS at Mazda Canada neglected to design one.....

Actually it makes a very good winter car, has traction control, anti-lock brakes,dynamics stability control, limited slip rear, (what more could you ask for?) and has EIGHT airbags. My old Acura had non-of-the-above.

I tried some 'split traction' experiments, with one wheel on ice, one on dry pavement; stopping was straight and relatively quick, the ABS has good control. Starting off was also drama-free, the traction control cuts power and the system uses the brakes on the 'looser' wheels, then the car accelerates nice and straight.

I will be treating it a little better this year, and using a 'beater' to go to work, but it will have it's winter boots on for special occasions!
doc
doctorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
YukiHime
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx3man
Same here...having a 7 not an 8. But who would drive a summer car in freezing winter?
Old 11-21-2005, 07:24 PM   #12
Ramesh V
AF Newbie

Re: RX-8 winter tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcfi
Anyone looking into winter tires for this winter? I understand that most of you posters are from warm climates but there must be some owners from Northern states.

I bought my RX-8 last Jan. doing a snowstorm, it really helped with the price, but once I got home I couldn't get it out of the driveway for two weeks. Those Bridgestones may be the best for wet and dry but they'll spin on a forecast of snow.
The Pirellis have really helped. The factory installed Bridgestone are great on dry hard pavement, but are like riding a sled on even the lightest snow. The Pirelli Snow Sport 240 (225 45R 18") works well on my rear-wheel drive RX8, and it works better when you turn off the Dynamic Stability Control in the car. The 50-50 weight distribution of the car with two 40 pond bags of kitty litter in the back allowed me to travel more than 550 miles in snow packed highways (Pennsylvania Turnpike and NJ Turnpike) last winter during the January storms. Hard braking on slushy snow is not bad, but nothing like a steady pace (I did pass many other cars) and gentle braking (this is highway braking, not your neighborhood braking at lower speeds).
The Pirellis are significantly less costly than other brands, Maxda would do well to sell these tires as factory installed tires on the RX 8 which has a notorious reputation for winter driving capabilities. The wide profile may be a disadvantage, however the cost may be prohibitive if you also invest in thinner wheels- however this would disable the computer controlled Dynamic Stability Control.,
Ramesh V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:48 PM   #13
drftk1d
boost in, apex seals out

Send a message via AIM to drftk1d

i think it works best if you just drive ass out sideways everywhere,

but thats just me
Old 12-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
Northern Climate
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcfi
For those that care about winter tires. I have found an excellent albeit expensive winter tire. It's Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 with UNI-T 225/45R/18
This is to soothe all the average people (i.e. who are not NASCAR drivers, no offense to NASCAR drivers). This car appeals to lots of types of people. In Canada we drive them year-round, in blizzards, with skis and shovel coming through the pass-through. I only mean, do what's right for you, it's just a car, albeit magnificent. They didn't add the heated leather, and four doors, because they thought it would always be in car shows and on race tracks.

My advise for winter, BUY WINTER TIRES. Mine were 17" steel rims that I switch, this is cheaper. TURN OFF the DSC as needed, experiment, you can't get out of a foot drift if all the wheels keep turning off. Tires are still expensive (over 4 times as much as tires for almost any other car on the planet), which I personally think dealers should mention to potential buyers. There are lots of people who buy nice cars b/c they can, and wouldn't think to include "how much do the tires cost" in their car-buying checklist, like you might if you were in the car business.
Northern Climate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #15
angii_nukes
AF Newbie

I live in Utah, and you're right. Driving in the snow--with anything other than "the best"--snow tires SUCKS in the RX8! Once any hint of snow exists, you just can't drive with your regular tires rated for this car. For the winter, I have 225-50-R17s... (special rims) w/ snow tires I switch over before the 1st snowfall. I'm a fan of studded snow tires, but it's impossible to put them on an RX8 (I'm told), so I'm very excited to hear about the Toyo Garits!!
angii_nukes is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > RX-8