Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
showingoff27
AF Newbie

99 Neon front drivers side brakes sticking...

I have already changed the pads, rotors, and calipers on both front brakes. Now it was sticking so bad the other day it was smoking from being so hot. Its not making me come to a full stop but the pads are sitting on the rotor even when I took the tire off. Could it be something simple? Or is the last thing to change the master cylinder? Oh and I don't know a whole lot about cars. My brother in law helped me do the rest. Thx in advance.
showingoff27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
thisnametooktolong
AF Regular

Re: 99 Neon front drivers side brakes sticking...

If I was the last person to make a mistake working on a car..... I would be disappointed. Now that car does not have ABS because it is just a neon right? There is not fancy aftermarket builder or SCCA letters right?

Go check your work, some thing is wrong…. I bet? I mean that has the split front on one master piston and the back on another right? Hay not only do you I think that you are not the first to make boboo, I also don’t think that you will be the last. Heck I made a boboo today. A guy at the gas station had a problem starting his 1999 Buick. I scanned it told him what was wrong… then drove off not paying for 35$ in gas…… we all make mistakes
thisnametooktolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
Oldsmobile Doctor
AF Regular

When the brakes are stuck crack the bleeder and if fluid comes out the brakes release you more than likely have a bad brake hose. I have also seen it where while the caliper was off that it was flipped kinking the hose.
Oldsmobile Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

The first think I would check is to make sure that the calipers slide in and out with little effort. Also, I must point out that the pads will always look like they are resting on the rotor. When the release it's millimeters are from the rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile Doctor View Post
When the brakes are stuck crack the bleeder and if fluid comes out the brakes release you more than likely have a bad brake hose. I have also seen it where while the caliper was off that it was flipped kinking the hose.
This would be the next think I would look for, a kink in the brake lines. Both the flex and hard lines.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
evo-00
AF Newbie

Have someone hit and release brake pedal to make caliper stick. Then open bleeder. If brake releases, caliper is ok and you prob need to replace brake hose.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
hatemyneon
AF Newbie

I have this same problem with my 98 Neon, non abs on the front right wheel. I have replaced the caliper, pads, and rotor. I am a professional, experienced Collision Technician and an I-CAR Instructor so believe me the problem is not in workmanship. From what I have read here it sounds like my best bet at this point is to replace my brake hose. I will do this tomorrow and post the results.
hatemyneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
mechanicles
AF Newbie

Brake Hose is imploded on the inside therefore fluid will not flow back and the caliper remains stuck. Replace the flex hose.
mechanicles is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon