Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Horizon
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Bob Campbell
AF Newbie

Transmisson Leak, Can you help please?

It's an 84 Plymouth Horizon, 2.2 litre with automatic transmisson. The leak is from the front axle on the drivers side. I did new brake pads and rotors and located a transmission leak thats been leaking for years. I washed the underside with motorwash, scrub brush and hose. Once clean I was able to trace the leak back to drivers side axle shaft.
It came from where the CV joint spline enters the transmisson. I pulled the axle assembly and removed the seal. I also bought a rebuilt axle assembly and seal. New seal installed and seated correctly. Reassembly was straight forward and leak continued from seal. Purchased a second seal and double checked new seal on axle surface before installation. The previously installed new seal was also in good shape. Hoped it was defective. Second new seal still leaks. Not a function of useage. Engine not started and drip occurs WITHOUT
vehicle running. Any ideas?
Bob Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Transmisson Leak, Can you help please?

Either no one has an idea, or maybe no one with an idea the post. I would have assumed a scored bore where the seal goes - but then mine dont leak there much. I have two 84 plymouth horizons, and two 87 dodge Omnis, all of them are 4 door hatchbacks. I would like to keep at least one running indefinitely. Rust seems to be my main enemy though.
All of mine have the 2.2L engine with carburetor, one is a 5 speed. Great little cars.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Bob Campbell
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisond3
Either no one has an idea, or maybe no one with an idea the post. I would have assumed a scored bore where the seal goes - but then mine dont leak there much. I have two 84 plymouth horizons, and two 87 dodge Omnis, all of them are 4 door hatchbacks. I would like to keep at least one running indefinitely. Rust seems to be my main enemy though.
All of mine have the 2.2L engine with carburetor, one is a 5 speed. Great little cars.
Desimond,
Thank you for your response. The leak is fixed. The vehicle's left front was jacked up and I was working through the wheel well. Apparently a cup of transmisson oil found its way to a recess and remained there. After the vehicle was lowered to the ground the oil started to drip. Overnight the oil would drip down. It took a day or two and the drip stopped. I rewashed the underside again and its been dry ever since.
Bob Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
samabhi111
Banned

I was also having the same problem. I went to the service center and I got it repaired there.
samabhi111 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Horizon