Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
fieroturbo
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to fieroturbo
Turbo Fiero 2.2 Ecotec Conversion

Hey PPL, need tips.

I'm getting a GM mastercard, for 2 reasons. I want a Pontiac Solstice SOOOOOOO badly, and cause I want to buy performance EcoTec parts from Goodwrench. And what do I do with this EcoTec when it's done being built over the next 3 years? Throw it in my Fiero.

But I need some questions answered. I know the ecotec wont work with the stock Fiero tranny, cause it's a different bellhousing. So I'd need to find a junk J-body with an Ecotec. Problem.... J-body ecotecs are on their second year of existance. Nuff said.

So here's the question. Will a tranny from a quad-4 engine work? (Is it same bellhousing)

American Custom Engineering (ACE) has a quad-4 conversion kit, but I'm not a huge fan of the quad-4's. The ecotec is setting records on the sport compact race scene. In fact, one of the drag cavies hold the record for quickest 4 banger, and is second fastest sport compact ever, second only to the toyota V8 celica by 3/10th of a second. (DAMN)

One thing I've heard with the j-body to Fiero swap is wiring, but I'm an Aircraft Electronics Technician in the US Navy, so no prob there.

I'm not a great welder, so I'm hoping the engine mounts won't be an issue.

And I'm going to turbo this beast, and use the turbo flange from GM, but I'm not sure on what turbo to use yet.

Intercooling could be an issue too. I'm thinking of 10psi for normal use, and then using a single wet nitrous nozzle to cool the boosted air when I boost it to say, 20 psi or more if desired. The drag cavi hits over 40psi without breaking a sweat, so I could really load up this baby. I am getting the racing pistons and sleeves anyway.

I'm looking at possibly getting a sequential into this thing, possibly a used qualife from a subaru (a GM company) rally car or something from race-cars.com. The bellhousing is similar I beleive.

If anyone knows of any Lotuses with sequentials, speak up!!! Cause it could fit. In fact the ecotec is used in the Lotus Elise, same as Opel Speedster, and Vauxhaul (I forget what model).

It's the first time anyone will have installed an Ecotec into a Fiero, so any tips are apreciated.
fieroturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #2
badassgremlin
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to badassgremlin Send a message via Yahoo to badassgremlin
umm no my friend has an 84 2m4 w/a ecotec w/gm perf. superchrager

badassgremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:48 PM   #3
fieroturbo
AF Regular

Swweeeet Mopar dude

Hey, what's your friend's e-mail address? I want to know how he did it, if he used a Quad 4 install kit from ACE, or if he did it all custom.

Thanks man.

When it comes to be the soothing light at the end of that tunnel, it's just a freight train coming your way.....(Love Metallica)
Old 07-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #4
badassgremlin
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to badassgremlin Send a message via Yahoo to badassgremlin
lol metallica rocks he did this all on his own but to make sure he had room he took out the blower fan thing and took out the little trunk wall

yaya this is my 100th post wooooo master of puppets im pulling your strings twisting your mind and....... o and by the way i have an 86 gt w/northstar v8

Old 07-31-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
fieroturbo
AF Regular

Blower fan? We are talking about a Fiero, right? The only fans in Fiero's are up front. Or were you talking about the supercharger? (blower)

And I don't see how the trunk wall should get in the way, given the Quad 4's fit just fine in Cavaliers and Fieros, and Ecotecs mount in Cavaliers, the same way Quad 4's do.

You know, maybe I'm thinkin something else here. When in a Fiero, the Ecotec's exhaust manifold is on the front side, and the intake is on the back, right? I'm assuming it's like most other GM 4 bangers, like the 2.0 OHC I had in my Cavalier, but then again, the Ecotec was designed by Lotus, so anything's possible.

It really doesn't matter if the intake doesn't fit with the supercharger cause I'm putting a turbo on, using GM's custom flange. And besides the supercharger won't give me the boost I want. I'm aiming for a standard boost level between 10-15 psi, but I want to be able to have 30psi on tap. The engine is going to be built "bulletproof" so-to-speak, using GM performance parts, and I'm aiming for a 10K RPM Redline.

And just to add to what I said earlier in this Forum, I've found an intercooler solution. I'm sure you've seen the Fast & Furious green Eclipse, right? You know the air scoop on the roof? Well, put one on my Fiero, have an Air-to-Water Intercooler up there, have the hot air vent out where the 3rd taillight is, and have the water lines run through the back inside molding into the engine bay. AND have one of those Nitrous Express N-tercoolers on the thing too. It sprays cold nitrous on an intercooler without the nitrous going into the engine itself, and makes about 50 extra HP.

I would also have direct port NOS as well, but only if I go up against a tough competitor. The engine could take it though. The drag version takes 40psi from the turbo, no prob.

My pc is about to crash, so I gotta end this.

Get me your friend's e-mail address, I have questions, mainly about the shift linkage.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:14 AM   #6
netjunkkie
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to netjunkkie Send a message via AIM to netjunkkie
yes blower fan
there is two
one in front on radiator and the other is in the trunk under carpet on the passenger side and if u look in engine compartment u see those stupid pipes that u have no idea what they do?
well they are the vent hoses for the fan in the back that blows the heat out the engine compartment.
i found this out after hours and hours of trying to figure out an overheating problem. wired in a ground and woot my car doesnt overheat anymore.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
badassgremlin
AF Enthusiast

yea the fan's pipe exits right in front of the intake (on a 6 cyl)

Old 05-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
wagonrod
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Turbo Fiero 2.2 Ecotec Conversion

Last post regarding Ecotecs mentioned exhaust in the front and ... Just letting you the Ecotecs, like their predecessor the 2.4L, have the exhaust dumping out the back towards the firewall. This is one of the best features for using it in Fieros with the gas tank so close to the engine. It will leave little room for getting the emissions requirements in place w/out a few u-turns in the pipe. Like you, I look fwd to getting an Ecotec in my Fiero. I also noticed a question regarding intercooler ducting from the roof. Well, I forget where I bought them, but there are over the roof scoops that are made for the Fiero that will not get in the way of the engine cover opening.
wagonrod is offline   Reply With Quote