Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
yvinogradov
AF Newbie

Question 2001 Protege 2.0 liter engine - oil change

How complicated is changing oil on it? How hard is to access the oil filter and the drain plug? When I take the drain plug out will the oil flow nicely into a pan or will it flow on body parts under it and then leak all over the garage floor and make a total mess? Same question for the oil filter.

Thanks.
yvinogradov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: 2001 Protege 2.0 liter engine - oil change

The pan plug points toward the rear of the engine and is no big problem to drain, you may need to use jack stands or drive on ramps to provide clearance. The oil filter is on the back of the engine and you will need the car on stands or ramps to reach it. The filter is small and may be difficult to remove without a wrench, strap wrenches probably will not work. Oil will spill on the half shaft and maybe the exhaust but a big pan will catch most of the oil. Use newspaper or cardboard under the drain pan to catch any spill over. It's not too messy if you are careful.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #3
yvinogradov
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash75
The pan plug points toward the rear of the engine and is no big problem to drain, you may need to use jack stands or drive on ramps to provide clearance. The oil filter is on the back of the engine and you will need the car on stands or ramps to reach it. The filter is small and may be difficult to remove without a wrench, strap wrenches probably will not work. Oil will spill on the half shaft and maybe the exhaust but a big pan will catch most of the oil. Use newspaper or cardboard under the drain pan to catch any spill over. It's not too messy if you are careful.

Clifton
Thanks a lot Clifton! Do you think small drive-on ramps from Walmart will do?

More questions:
-What size/type of wrench I need for the drain plug?
-The manual says - because a special tool is required to retighten the oil filter don't do it yourself - only a dealer can do it. I have my doubts, unless it's a $500 tool they are talking about. Anyone can comment on this?
-The manual doesn't say (or I missed it) the torque for the drain plug. I imagine it's in the low 20's in lb-ft, but does anyone know the exact value?

Thanks,

Yan

Last edited by yvinogradov; 09-07-2006 at 05:36 PM.
yvinogradov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Yan; The Walmart drive on ramps should work OK, just check that the ramps are on a solid floor/drive and reasonably level. As I recall the drain plug requires a 18 mm wrench, it's best to use a box end or socket wrench, to keep from rounding off the corners of the drain plug. The plug is tightened to 22-30 lb. ft. There should be an aluminum washer under the drain plug. I haven't checked any source other than the dealer for the washer. I tighten my filters by hand, they are a little hard to reach. You will need a wrench to remove it, take the filter you plan to use into a parts place. Walmart, Advance or others and look for a fluted oil filter wrench. It fits on the end of the filter and has a center hole for a 1/2" or 3/8" ratchet. They come in a variety of sizes. A fluted wrench will cost $4-$5, but it will last for years. It's not a difficult job, if you do it you will know it was done correctly. Take time to visually check under the car for potential problems while you are under the car changing oil. Look for things like oil or water leaks and loose or broken parts. Good luck.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > 323/Protegé/Familia/Etude/Allegro