Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #1
MilGoe10
AF Newbie

Exclamation 2006 Chevrolet Impala issue

A few days ago I was driving my car and all of the sudden it started shaking then just died. I tried to start it but when I put the key in and turned it over all it would do was make a clicking noise once and that's it. It doesn't even try and turn over. The lights and radio come on it just won t start even with a jump. I had a shop look at it and they said the engine is shot but all they did was take a wrench to the motor, try and turn it both ways and when it wouldn't turn they came to the conclusion that the motor was shot. They didn't do any further testing to see if it was an issue causing the motor not to turn. It is a 2006 Chevrolet Impala LS with a 3.5 it is not flex fuel. One mechanic said that it may be an a/c pump locked up and to remove the serpentine belt and if it starts than the problem is the a/c pump and another said that it may be the timing chain. Any other suggestions you may have? I am going to get a second opinion before making a decision if I want to replace motor or junk it but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem with an Impala and what the cause was. TIA!
MilGoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 2006 Chevrolet Impala issue

If the engine won't turn by hand even with the belt off, you can be pretty sure it seized, did it have enough oil in it? If the chain jumped or broke the engine would still turn a little either way.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #3
MilGoe10
AF Newbie

The belt was never taken off.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #4
Black_Blade
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilGoe10 View Post
The belt was never taken off.
Even with the serp belt on, should have been able to turn engine over a bit anyways, but to be sure, slip the belt off the tensioner pulley.

Do you know if engine oil levels were ok? Usually there would be a warning on the DIC to check oil levels if you suddenly lost oil. Were there any warning lights on before? Check engine light, or anything?

If engine is not seized, you can try to switch out the starter relay with another one (the rear defog one is the same) Also, with relay out you can use a jumper wire and jump the load side of the relay to see if engine turns over.

These cars also have an integrated ignition relay in the fuse box circuit board that is known to go, quick way to check if that is the issue, use a test light attached to battery negative post and touch the fuses under the AC Compressor relay, if the test light does not light up on these fuses (check both sides of fuses just to be sure) you will need a new fuse box..but lets hope its not that

Post back with what you find out from all of this..hope it helps. I attached a pdf of the fuse box layout to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg impala fusebox layout.jpg (210.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Black_Blade; 02-03-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Black_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
MilGoe10
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Blade View Post
Even with the serp belt on, should have been able to turn engine over a bit anyways, but to be sure, slip the belt off the tensioner pulley.

Do you know if engine oil levels were ok? Usually there would be a warning on the DIC to check oil levels if you suddenly lost oil. Were there any warning lights on before? Check engine light, or anything?

If engine is not seized, you can try to switch out the starter relay with another one (the rear defog one is the same) Also, with relay out you can use a jumper wire and jump the load side of the relay to see if engine turns over.

These cars also have an integrated ignition relay in the fuse box circuit board that is known to go, quick way to check if that is the issue, use a test light attached to battery negative post and touch the fuses under the AC Compressor relay, if the test light does not light up on these fuses (check both sides of fuses just to be sure) you will need a new fuse box..but lets hope its not that

Post back with what you find out from all of this..hope it helps. I attached a pdf of the fuse box layout to help.
Oil levels were okay. It was maybe about a quart low and no check oil lights came on. For a while now the check engine light and service traction control pops on and off and when I brought it into a shop they couldn't find anything wrong. The starter relay is that the starter or a different part?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Black_Blade
AF Regular

First thing is to verify engine is not seized or damaged in any way..loosen serp belt and try to turn engine. The tensioner pulley has a spot on it for a 3/8" ratchet but will need a long handled ratchet or power bar for the required leverage.
Take the right tire off and use a 18mm socket and power bar to turn the crank shaft.

Look at the diagram I attached to the previous post..you will see the relay on there..you can use YouTube to watch a few good videos on how relays work..this will help a lot.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
GMCustomerService
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilGoe10 View Post
A few days ago I was driving my car and all of the sudden it started shaking then just died. I tried to start it but when I put the key in and turned it over all it would do was make a clicking noise once and that's it. It doesn't even try and turn over. The lights and radio come on it just won t start even with a jump. I had a shop look at it and they said the engine is shot but all they did was take a wrench to the motor, try and turn it both ways and when it wouldn't turn they came to the conclusion that the motor was shot. They didn't do any further testing to see if it was an issue causing the motor not to turn. It is a 2006 Chevrolet Impala LS with a 3.5 it is not flex fuel. One mechanic said that it may be an a/c pump locked up and to remove the serpentine belt and if it starts than the problem is the a/c pump and another said that it may be the timing chain. Any other suggestions you may have? I am going to get a second opinion before making a decision if I want to replace motor or junk it but wanted to know if anyone else had a similar problem with an Impala and what the cause was. TIA!
Hello MilGoe10,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with your Impala. I would recommend getting a second opinion from a certified Chevrolet dealership as they have the technical expertise needed to properly address vehicle concerns.
As an extra layer of assistance, I can reach out to the dealership on your behalf. If you would like to proceed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with as I am always glad to help.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
GMCustomerService is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
chevrolet , engine , impala , starting , trouble
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS