Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Clean87
AF Newbie

Problem with my Trans Am. Whats wrong?

87 Trans AM. TPI 305. 117k MILES.

I was driving it around, and my friend told me that he had removed my air cleaner, I was pissed but drove like that for about 30 miles, just as I was to stop to put it on, I got hit up by a Cobalt (yeah I know) and ran him, Just as the RPM hit 5K rpm, the engine made a sound, almost like a back fire, and then the SES light came on. Now the car cannot be drivin, I cannot drive the car at more then half throttle without hesitation. Whenever I floor the car, the engine will bog out. In Park or N I can get the car almost to redline if I give it about half throttle. Any ideas on whats going on with this? Could it be my mass air flow sensor? Someone said my car is in PROM mode, the limp home mode as it is. What is the problem? ECU? MAS? Any guesses?
Clean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: Problem with my Trans Am. Whats wrong?

it would help a lot if you had the code.....

check the obvious things....first and formost, make sure the snorkel between the MAF and intake didn't come off, blow a hose off, or rip. That would definitely cause codes, and for it to run like poop

But there's many many things that could cause what you discribe. Thats why the code would be handy

With OBD1, you can pull the codes without a scanner. Just need to jump two terminals on the scanner connector

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Clean87
AF Newbie

It was code 47 or 43, I had it ran but I was a dumb ass and forgot the damn code!
Clean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

43 is a ESC code....electronic spark control. Could be a bad module, or a bad knock sensor, or something in the harness. I'd start with the basics, pull the cap and inspect the coil, rotor, pickup. If nothing obvious, replace module. They fail all the time

47 doesn't exist on my charts.....

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
INF3RN0666
AF Regular

I'm guessing you might have gotten some dirt on some of your sensors at worst, which are important at high RPM to the Fuel/Air ratios. Air cleaners are really a long term type of thing or if you drive in horrible conditions. Mind you, it only take 1 small pebble to destroy your engine, if you can get a pebble in there in the first place.
INF3RN0666 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical