Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Didymus
AF Enthusiast

Re: TKM Resin kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirofkd View Post
The reason why you don't see any finished TKM kit is because they are simply unbuildable.
So... aside from that minor detail, what's the problem?
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #17
Khier
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoomMX-5 View Post
It's amazingly good. I have no idea why...

I think his handle is "scalingdown"...I don't see any models of his right now.

As for someone mentioning plasticene clay to better recreate a subject...I think that's what TKM may use on some of his masters to shape/detail.
hmmm... I thought it was tkmresin(models?) whom I came across his auction a couple of days ago. This one does not have the best feedback, 99.1% for less than 200 auctions.

I attempted once to start with his 51/52' pontiac. I was lucky it was not a banana shell. Something may come out good after putty and sanding. The grill and trim has to be cut away and replaced. However, after hearing about alernatives, like Tom Coolidge, I gave up the interest. It is much easier to swap the roof of a TC Pontiac (to get the hardtop), or perhaps ask Tom to do it. He loves making several versions of the same subject, or maybe he did it already.

But TKM models are not that bad after all. They remain ideal objects to practice putty application and sanding. With their unique banana shape, wonderful junkyard or repair workshop scenes.
Khier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
The Yes Man
AF Newbie

That kit is simply unbelieveable

The seats are hilarious
The Yes Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 PM   #19
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

Ouch. I have a hard enough time letting a part with a tiny air bubble go to a customer, but that pales in comparison.

Building this would be like restoring a classic car; by the time you're done, there's very little left from the original car (In this case, kit).
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #20
Khier
AF Regular

[quote=Didymus;6068241So... aside from that minor detail, what's the problem?[/QUOTE]

Twisted body shell, thick walls, blurry molded on details, resin cast glass, rough surfaces, poor interiors, fitting... fitting.... fiting..., besides useless wheels and inderside.

Just few to mention.
Khier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:47 AM   #21
montelsc
AF Newbie

WOW! a tkm support group cool. I hate this guy i bought 2 kits from him (stupid me) and they didnt show up untill i put an open dispute with ebay and demanded my money back. They finally showed up and were terrible. Its alot of work i make my own chassis and they came out half way decent. I learned my lesson after the second time no more buying from this guy.. it's too much aggravation.

Last edited by montelsc; 01-26-2010 at 07:58 PM.
montelsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #22
914joe
AF Regular

Holy crap!!! That's horrible... How much does one of these kit's cost???
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #23
EnzoFXX
AF Newbie

Man, I've never seen anything like that... It's freaking me out!
EnzoFXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #24
montelsc
AF Newbie

These kits cost about 42.00 and then pray they show up an open dispute works for me. Then after 4 weeks it finally shows up ( hard to believe isnt it). I like the big cruisers from the late 60s to early 80s thats what he has so i get suckerd in. Im trying to post some pics of my 2 cars but im having trouble getting them on does anyone know how???
Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #25
montelsc
AF Newbie

Talking Re: TKM Resin kits

Lucky you! its an insult to resin everywere.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #26
sclqa
AF Newbie

I have read the comments to the TKM resin kits. For the most part I agree, they come up wanting, in many areas. I have been doing car models since I was a kid and I am 68 now. I specialize in Corvairs but do a lot of other car models including many scratch builds of cars that never happened in full scale or were never done as kits.
I was shocked when I saw the TKM Corvair Greenbrier - it's actually a Corvan (no side windows). when I saw it on Ebay, but didn't realize the history of TKM models. The model 1/25th scale and I only do 1/25th scale models - its a thing with me. I have collected Corvair models for about 45 years. The Corvair model cars are fairly plentiful but the Corvair trucks, are very rare and nearly non existent in 1/25th scale . There is a Corvair pickup (Rampside) in about 1/32nd scale and it pretty poor as are most of the that manufacturer's models. There are some smaller and rarer diecasts but for the most part nothing in any scale close to 1/25th scale. Then this TKM model came up on Ebay. I had to have it. It is somewhat rough I admit. I through out the extra parts and kept only the body shell. The scale is very close (.12" too long) but the width and height are very close. The front end is not very correct and the I will cut it back and correct the inaccuracies. Since I have had numerous Corvair Vans, I have recorded every critical dimension to convert to 1/25th (.04). I will work around the thin spots, and poor detail because this model is ten times better than starting out with a glob of clay (which I have done on several models, as my other endeavors include sculpting and painting). Fortunately, this TKM model had no warp or 'banana' shape, so from my perspective I feel I have 'lucked out' on this one. But, if that Ebay photo had looked like a TURD disguised as a 1/25th scale Corvair Greenbrier Van I would have passed on it.
I suppose everything is a matter of perspective.
sclqa is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling