Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Shelby 427 1965
AF Regular

This stuff any good?

Well lads, saw this stuff on eBay, was thinking about getting.. I'm really liking the look of the wet look lacquer I'm seeing around different forums, so I was wondering if any of you have used it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ML-Aero...#ht_1115wt_821

Cheers!
- Tomo
Shelby 427 1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
turbothirtytwo
AF Regular

Re: This stuff any good?

how can be something of 2parts in one can?
turbothirtytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
roymattblack
AF Regular

Haven't used it but I've got a can on order.
I'm going to try it on an 'old' kit already built/painted to see if it makes any difference.
Roy.
roymattblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
leafs004
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbothirtytwo View Post
how can be something of 2parts in one can?
http://coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3680061

I've used this 2-part clear, and it works by separating the two compounds inside the can. You activate the hardner by pressing a peg on the bottom, then shake well. Once activated, you have 24 hours to use it before it turns solid. Not cheap, but cheaper than having to buy clear and hardner. I was able to clearcoat three 1/12 scale cars, plus three 1/24 scale cars with a minimum of 2 coats. I am very happy with the results.
leafs004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
icon_modeler
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs004 View Post
http://coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3680061

I've used this 2-part clear, and it works by separating the two compounds inside the can. You activate the hardner by pressing a peg on the bottom, then shake well. Once activated, you have 24 hours to use it before it turns solid. Not cheap, but cheaper than having to buy clear and hardner. I was able to clearcoat three 1/12 scale cars, plus three 1/24 scale cars with a minimum of 2 coats. I am very happy with the results.
I live right up the street from Coast and I have a can of this clear. Can you tell me if it is decal safe. I have two 1/24th Martini 935's I'd like to clear coat but that is a lot of hard decal work to cover with a clear that I'm not sure about. Any input would be great. Thanks!!
icon_modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
leafs004
AF Newbie

I've had very mixed reactions with decals. I always make sure they are very dry, but some decals react poorly, the edges start to wrinkle, while other times they do not. I have not had a problem with newer Tamiya decals, but I have had issues with other decals and some aftermarket ones. I would not recommend using the clear on the Porsches as your first subject. I can take a few pics to try and show you some of the results but it is so subtle that you may not be able to see it.
leafs004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
icon_modeler
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs004 View Post
I've had very mixed reactions with decals. I always make sure they are very dry, but some decals react poorly, the edges start to wrinkle, while other times they do not. I have not had a problem with newer Tamiya decals, but I have had issues with other decals and some aftermarket ones. I would not recommend using the clear on the Porsches as your first subject. I can take a few pics to try and show you some of the results but it is so subtle that you may not be able to see it.

Thanks for the info. The cars are a mix of old and new decals. I'm sure they are dry enough, they have not been touched in two or three months

This leaves me with not many options. I guess I need a practic model, wait, that was what these are supposed to be

My problem is that I feel more then comfortable with a spray can. I have some Zero 2K clear but I have not used an airbrush in almost 30 years and do not want to start on these cars.

Wish me luck
icon_modeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
jano11
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by icon_modeler View Post
Thanks for the info. The cars are a mix of old and new decals. I'm sure they are dry enough, they have not been touched in two or three months

This leaves me with not many options. I guess I need a practic model, wait, that was what these are supposed to be

My problem is that I feel more then comfortable with a spray can. I have some Zero 2K clear but I have not used an airbrush in almost 30 years and do not want to start on these cars.

Wish me luck
Good Luck!
jano11 is offline   Reply With Quote