Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
jmtomservo
AF Newbie

2K clear coat over clear parts

I've got a question for the clear-coating experts.

Is it safe to spray and polish 2-part clear (Zero 2k in this case) on clear plastic parts?

I'm in the process of refurbishing some old builds with sub-par paint jobs. And I figure this is a good opportunity to test out 2k clear for the first time. I've separated the body from all the clear parts but there's one windshield with a sponsor decal across the top. I'm wondering if I can spray the windshield to seal and protect the decal... or is this a bad idea?

Bonus question: Can you spray 2k clear over a part that's been coated with Future? I may have sealed one model in Future, but it's been so long I honestly can't remember. Any chance it might react with the 2k?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
jmtomservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
iceracer1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2K clear coat over clear parts

I did this before and it was not succesfull. the clear window became a bit dull. i just did this once with very thin thinned zero 2k clear. i should try it again in future.

kris.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
mamr1203
AF Regular

Hi John, I did the same you are asking for and here are my coments (sorry about my english, I'm just trying to help you):

I tried to use clear on clear parts and did not work. The clear part can be melted and also is not transparent anymore..a little points (like dust) came on and not posible to take it off.
By the other hand, to protect decals on clear parts, I use tamiya clear (X-22) very thinned and this works. Airbrushed with low psi.

Regarding you bonus question, I did not recomend to use clear over parts cover with future. The future is "greasy" and will be dificult for the clear to cover the parts. Hard to explain in English but if you do this, is like apply paint over a "wet" model.

but, the future can be easily remove it with liquid to clear windows (you can get this at any grocery store) the same that you use at home.
Just deep the part/model on this for a couple of minutes and then use water and that's it. I did this on a body model with no decals, but was completily painted and polished and works OK. Even I use the same technique on plastic clear parts covered with future and works too.
I don't know if this clear windows liquid "attack" the decals, I never did this before.

I hope you can understand my poor english and also can be useful fo you.
Regards
mamr1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
jmtomservo
AF Newbie

Thank you for the answers. I am glad I asked before I tried!

Mamr,
I believe you are talking about glass cleaner (which contains ammonia) for removing the Future. Unfortunately the model with Future also has decals. Perhaps I should try to clean it and see what happens - in the name of science. I can always order more decals from Tamiya if they become ruined.
jmtomservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
John18d
AF Enthusiast

Jmtomservo - Petroleum based clears will react with the clear parts and craze them - it is possible to clearcoat clear parts but I would only use water based "acrylics" for that. - as for the bonus question - I have never worked with "future" - I only ever clear with 2K or 1K clears - gloss, satin, dull. Hope this helps you - John
John18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
mamr1203
AF Regular

Hi John,
I'm glad you understand my english and also I think it was useful for you.
You are right, the cleaner I was talking about is the one that contains ammonia.
Just forget to tell you something. after you deep in this cleaner your model, to clean it up use only your hands. Not use anything else (like a brush or fiber) because you can scratch your model.
I beleive pobably this also not hurt your decals.
Regards
Miguel
mamr1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Ive had success with using a 2K clearcoat over something that was clearcoated with 'Future' (was a differnt brand but same thing..), mine seemed to come out fine, i did wet sand the 'future' first.
Secondly, you'll find 'future' works pretty well with clear parts, it is best to dip them into the 'future' & wick the excess off them off using a paper towel. Scale Auto did an article about it a while ago by Alex Kustov (360spider), you might be able to find a downloadable article there. it does help to make windshields appear clearer.
But in my option, it is a floor polish & thats what its designed for... so I hardly use it

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:17 AM   #8
darcyrossi46
AF Newbie

The 2k does not work it will create a frosted effect on the clear.

You can however use the tamiya clear spray can (sorry i cant remember the code). I have used it several times to seal the decals on my rossi bikes that go on the screen it works perfectly.

spay a light tack coat first to protect the decal, leave it for about 15 mins and then a wet coat.
darcyrossi46 is offline   Reply With Quote