Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Falcon | Fairmont | FPV
Falcon | Fairmont | FPV Australian and American versions. Includes the XR6 and XR8 as well as FPV models like the Typhon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
segapet
AF Newbie

Fairlane wont stop!!

Wondering if anyone has an idea as to why when I switch off the ignition and remove the key the fairlane keeps running? I also removed the battery cables and 3 of the plug leads before stalling it with the clutch! Would appreciate any assistance! It is a 68 zb fairlane custom, 221 cubic inch 3 spd manual column shift!
segapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: Fairlane wont stop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by segapet View Post
Wondering if anyone has an idea as to why when I switch off the ignition and remove the key the fairlane keeps running? I also removed the battery cables and 3 of the plug leads before stalling it with the clutch! Would appreciate any assistance! It is a 68 zb fairlane custom, 221 cubic inch 3 spd manual column shift!
I would look at the ignition switch either the linkage is bent or the switch is bad.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
2003Focus
Banned

Smile Re: Fairlane wont stop!!

Quote:
The problem you have is called 'run-on'. It is the result of carbon build-up in the heads and tops of the pistons. The root cause is excessive oil consumption from rings and valve seals.

Three old timer ways to deal with it, and one less familiar 21st century solution that could also be used on vintage iron.

1. A coke bottle filled with water. Remove the air cleaner, bring the idle up to about 1500 RPM and very slowly pour the water down the carb with your thumb over the neck of the bottle to let it trickle out. This is important. If you pour too fast, you will fill a cylinder with water and, well the results will be very unlucky.

2. Pull the heads off, clean the chambers, the crossover heat riser in the intake manifold (probably carbon'ed up from age mostly) and tops of the pistons, then reassembly. More work, but not too difficult.

3. Taking a page from the 21st century, find a direct rubber vacuum line to the intake manifold (there should be a large vacuum tap at the back of the manifold that the vacuum wipers attach to) and attach a aerosol can of engine combustion chamber cleaner. Similar to option 1, but has, in addition to water, a cleaning chemical that dissolves carbon on valves, pistons and heads.
2003Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #4
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003Focus View Post
The problem you have is called 'run-on'. It is the result of carbon build-up in the heads and tops of the pistons. The root cause is excessive oil consumption from rings and valve seals.

Three old timer ways to deal with it, and one less familiar 21st century solution that could also be used on vintage iron.

1. A coke bottle filled with water. Remove the air cleaner, bring the idle up to about 1500 RPM and very slowly pour the water down the carb with your thumb over the neck of the bottle to let it trickle out. This is important. If you pour too fast, you will fill a cylinder with water and, well the results will be very unlucky.

2. Pull the heads off, clean the chambers, the crossover heat riser in the intake manifold (probably carbon'ed up from age mostly) and tops of the pistons, then reassembly. More work, but not too difficult.

3. Taking a page from the 21st century, find a direct rubber vacuum line to the intake manifold (there should be a large vacuum tap at the back of the manifold that the vacuum wipers attach to) and attach a aerosol can of engine combustion chamber cleaner. Similar to option 1, but has, in addition to water, a cleaning chemical that dissolves carbon on valves, pistons and heads.
My experience with No.3 is it works well but I had to use a valve to control flow to prevent the engine from stalling. You can also pinch down on the hose.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

Quote:
i would also run water threw carb but like sais don't pour to fast a let it die. i done this in my 79 malibu and it does work getting carbon out.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
chamblizi
AF Regular

Quote:

Your ignition system mechanics if its in the column could be broken i just had to swap my ranchero column.

If your key is stuck in the ignition switch then that means its the switch it's self. If not then its the column works mine would not start without a external ignition switch.

to determine the exact problem what condition is your farlane in?
chamblizi is offline   Reply With Quote