Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
teegeefla
AF Newbie

white metal/primer/putty sequence

I am re-doing a build of a 1/43 white metal car because when I was doing the final assembly the paint chipped away; it was too large an area to do a touchup. Apparently that primer and paint never adequately bonded to the metal and it chipped and cracked. So...I strip the paint and start again. My question is what primer(s) and in what sequence should I use to avoid another chipping episode?

I have to fill a lot of holes and imperfections in the body with putty, so this time I am thinking I should spray a coat of Tamiya Metal Primer before puttying so that the metal gets etched and subsequent primer and paint will bond better. Good or bad?

I then will sand down the putty and spray with Tamiya fine white primer (instead of the metal primer which is clear and does not show imperfections) repeating until I have a completely smooth surface. Do I need to do anything more with the metal primer or was it simply for the initial treatment?

The final coat will be a Krylon paint that I cannot match with a Tamiya color, but in my previous attempt the color coat and white primer seemed to bond with no problem so I am not too concerned with paint/primer incompatibility.

Bottom line: was the etch primer/putty/fine primer sequence the right approach or should I try another? Thanks.
teegeefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
ZoomZoomMX-5
AF Fanatic

Re: white metal/primer/putty sequence

You need "self etching primer" zinc-based primer to properly stick to the metal. Regular primer won't bond to the metal, and the paint will chip easily. Automotive paint stores sell it.

Spraying the Tamiya metal primer should be okay as well. Do this prior to filling; putty sticks to primer better than to raw metal or plastic. If you sand through the primer to metal, you'll need to reprime w/the metal primer before using normal primer.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 AM   #3
TurboGuru
AF Regular

Re: white metal/primer/putty sequence

yeah, I needed some etch primer for a resin kit with metal pieces, I just got this from hiroboy:

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3145

I've yet to use it because I'm working on a regular plastic kit at the moment.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling