Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
2ntens4u
AF Newbie

Lambo doors

If You Know: How Do I Go About Getting The Lambo Door Kit Who Sells Them?
2ntens4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:33 AM   #2
Bilson8tor
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bilson8tor
dude did u try la google search i found these in like 10 sec
www.carhookups.com
www.hondaacuraautoparts.com
Bilson8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:40 PM   #3
2ntens4u
AF Newbie

Thanks I Found What I Was Looking For About 1600$ Im Still Going To Get It But Not For A While....
2ntens4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

with most cars, if you dont properly brace the frame, those kits will mess up a lot of things. maybe its different with hondas though.
tibby01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:20 PM   #5
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Send a message via AIM to eckoman_pdx Send a message via Yahoo to eckoman_pdx
www.decah.net
609-716-7385
They were the first to come out with a bolt on "lambo door kit." It's called the Decah VDC. Call and talk to Kevin. It's relativly easy to install, and complete bolt-on. Check it out.
eckoman_pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

i hope honda doors are light, cause decah kits have been installed on the new tiburon doors(which are very heavy actually) and have totally fucked them up. the only proper way of doing this on a car with heavy doors is very expensive, and involves bracing a lot of the frame. if not done right, it can bend the roof, hood, frame, pillars, and door hinges.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:34 AM   #7
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Lambo doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby01
i hope honda doors are light, cause decah kits have been installed on the new tiburon doors(which are very heavy actually) and have totally fucked them up. the only proper way of doing this on a car with heavy doors is very expensive, and involves bracing a lot of the frame. if not done right, it can bend the roof, hood, frame, pillars, and door hinges.
Well, I am sponsored by DeCah, and it has worked out fine for me so far. I havn't had any issues with that. Other than the fact it does get annoying having to up a door UP to open it, it's been fine. Of course, that's the nature of the territory with any vertical door convison. Honda Civic's are lighter than the Tiburon, I know that. How could it bend the roof though, it doesn't even connect to the roof or pillars, or touch them in any fashion. It connects to the bolt pattern of the stock hinge on both the door and frame behind the fender. The door opens outward normally outward maybe a foot away from the car ( not full range like before), then the pivoting ball joint moves upward. A thick gas powered shock helps assist the lift. The connectng arm piviots upward, connected to the door tightly in the stock mounting locations for the nuts. The baseplate attaches to the car via the stock mounting location as well. I have never heard of this at all with a DeCah kit. I am not saying you are lying, I am just saying I have never heard of this. Did this happen to a friend of your's Tiburion. I just don't see how the kit, when installed properly, could bend the roof and pillars, seeing as it never attaches to or touches any part of the roof of pillar in any fashion.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

its the stress it causes on the stock hinges, which in turn puts additional stress on everything they connect to.

here is a little search page i put together. "visionz" owns a body shop and knows what hes talking about.

http://www.newtiburon.com/yabbse/ind...action=search2
Old 01-21-2004, 03:07 PM   #9
CRX-Crooks
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to CRX-Crooks

Extremedimensions.com
Importfan.com
They Have Them But Its Like $1600 For A Couple Of Hinges
CRX-Crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
its the stress it causes on the stock hinges, which in turn puts additional stress on everything they connect to.

here is a little search page i put together. "visionz" owns a body shop and knows what hes talking about.

http://www.newtiburon.com/yabbse/ind...action=search2

Umm, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the stock hinges ARE NOT part of the equation with this. They are removed, and replace with the componets to make the door open vertical (these can differ depending on which brand you buy). Therefor, it is not way can put stress on the stock hinge. Furthermore, as I said above, it connects to the frame under the fender, and to the door itself. Not the roof, not the pillar. None of that. I can post a pic if you don't believ me and require require. I also, know what I am saying. I am sponosered by DeCah, so of course I have would have the DeCah VDC. There are MANY types of "lambo door kits" out there, so maybe it;s a different type...maybe it's a problem on the tiberon.. Many are very different. What type is he using? I can assume you though. IN NO WAY will the DeCah VDC put pressure on the roof, pillar, or stock hinge. The Stock hinge is removed, and nothing is attached to the pillar or roof, sotck or otherwise. Also, there is no cutting, welding, etc. It's a bolt-on affair, and is completely reversable should you decide you want to go stock again.

Last edited by eckoman_pdx; 01-21-2004 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:39 AM   #11
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

sorry dood, im a moron. i didnt mean to type stock hinges, i meant the stock hinge mounting point. the tiburon door is heavy as shit, and the way it exert pressure on that mounting point with a lambo conversion is different. normally, the door would just make the top of the hinge want to rip off the mounting point. with the lambo conversion, it makes it want to rip out, but at a totally different angle. this causes stress on areas of the mounting point that werent designed for stress. and because that mounting point is connected to the pillar, and therefore connected to the roof, it just totally fucks everything up. but tiburon doors are 100+ lbs., so i doubt you'd have that problem with a civic door. other kits have been installed on the tiburon, with the same results. if any of you guys saw the lambo door APC 03 tiburon at SEMA, you would know what i am saying. they were uneven and scratching the body at certain points.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:04 AM   #12
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIBBY01
sorry dood, im a moron. i didnt mean to type stock hinges, i meant the stock hinge mounting point. the tiburon door is heavy as shit, and the way it exert pressure on that mounting point with a lambo conversion is different. normally, the door would just make the top of the hinge want to rip off the mounting point. with the lambo conversion, it makes it want to rip out, but at a totally different angle. this causes stress on areas of the mounting point that werent designed for stress. and because that mounting point is connected to the pillar, and therefore connected to the roof, it just totally fucks everything up. but tiburon doors are 100+ lbs., so i doubt you'd have that problem with a civic door. other kits have been installed on the tiburon, with the same results. if any of you guys saw the lambo door APC 03 tiburon at SEMA, you would know what i am saying. they were uneven and scratching the body at certain points.
There are several things it could be as far as sratching and uneven. I have seen some "properly installed" kits that by no means where proper. I mean, some of them where flat out wrong and lazy. When mine were first installed, someone helped me and was very lazy rolling the fender on one side. This resulted in and uneven angle and level to which it opened. It scratch the hinge down to the metal. The solution? Remove it all, properly roll the fender, self etching primer on the metal part, paint the hinge, reinstall. It opens even now. Also, aftermarket fenders, widebody, Z3, etc. It won't always clear like stock. The kits where designed with stock fenders, not these types. Things down always fit right, but there are always way's to do it if you just take your time. Even if it is "bolt on" take your time, check it out. You paid the $$ for it. Do it right. If it needs to be modified a bit, then so be it. Also, the door may be heavy, but it won't "rip the hinge from the top mounting point." The angle may be differnt, but the VDC hinge it supported with all the stock bolt holes and mounts accross the entire side of the door for support. If "normally, the door would just make the top of the hinge want to rip off the mounting point," the it's not the Lambo doors fucking the car up. The car has a MAJOR issue stock from the get go. There is no way a stock opening door should do that, period. The door may open at a different angle, but the isn't so strange and extreme it will case the whole f-ing door to rip off and bend the frame. If the frame wants to rip stock, it's not the kit. The car was designed piss poor. Also as I said above, nothing is attached to the pillar or roof, sotck or otherwise. The baseplate attaches to the frame under the fender, the other part of the hinge to the door. Neither of there connects to the roof or piller, espeically in a manner that should "ruin it all." If the weight of the door can warp the entire frame like you said as a result of that, then obviuosly that car has a major issue. No properly designed car should do that at all. In this case, it wouldn't be a lambo door or VDC issue, it would be an issue with that car's factory design.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #13
Doubletap
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Doubletap Send a message via Yahoo to Doubletap

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
The angle may be differnt, but the VDC hinge it supported with all the stock bolt holes and mounts accross the entire side of the door for support. If "normally, the door would just make the top of the hinge want to rip off the mounting point," the it's not the Lambo doors fucking the car up. The car has a MAJOR issue stock from the get go. There is no way a stock opening door should do that, period. The door may open at a different angle, but the isn't so strange and extreme it will case the whole f-ing door to rip off and bend the frame. If the frame wants to rip stock, it's not the kit. The car was designed piss poor. Also as I said above, nothing is attached to the pillar or roof, sotck or otherwise. The baseplate attaches to the frame under the fender, the other part of the hinge to the door. Neither of there connects to the roof or piller, espeically in a manner that should "ruin it all." If the weight of the door can warp the entire frame like you said as a result of that, then obviuosly that car has a major issue. No properly designed car should do that at all. In this case, it wouldn't be a lambo door or VDC issue, it would be an issue with that car's factory design.
Well I have another point the fact that the angle IS different is a big deal. Unibody vehicles without frame rails are designed to support themselves with interior components such as the doors and glass. If the stresses are incorrect then you can mess things up. This is a slightly off topic example but in most convertables and some hartop vehicles if you were to take the windshield out and leave it out for a period of time... say a day or two the entire car will start to fold down in the middle becasue the windshield is an integral part of the support system of the car. Messing with the stresses and tolerances of the frame can have undesired consequences and this may not happen in the case of civics and Integras but it might. Thats all we're sayin.

DoubleTap
Doubletap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 05:10 PM   #14
tibby01
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckoman_pdx
There are several things it could be as far as sratching and uneven. I have seen some "properly installed" kits that by no means where proper. I mean, some of them where flat out wrong and lazy. When mine were first installed, someone helped me and was very lazy rolling the fender on one side. This resulted in and uneven angle and level to which it opened. It scratch the hinge down to the metal. The solution? Remove it all, properly roll the fender, self etching primer on the metal part, paint the hinge, reinstall. It opens even now. Also, aftermarket fenders, widebody, Z3, etc. It won't always clear like stock. The kits where designed with stock fenders, not these types. Things down always fit right, but there are always way's to do it if you just take your time. Even if it is "bolt on" take your time, check it out. You paid the $$ for it. Do it right. If it needs to be modified a bit, then so be it. Also, the door may be heavy, but it won't "rip the hinge from the top mounting point." The angle may be differnt, but the VDC hinge it supported with all the stock bolt holes and mounts accross the entire side of the door for support. If "normally, the door would just make the top of the hinge want to rip off the mounting point," the it's not the Lambo doors fucking the car up. The car has a MAJOR issue stock from the get go. There is no way a stock opening door should do that, period. The door may open at a different angle, but the isn't so strange and extreme it will case the whole f-ing door to rip off and bend the frame. If the frame wants to rip stock, it's not the kit. The car was designed piss poor. Also as I said above, nothing is attached to the pillar or roof, sotck or otherwise. The baseplate attaches to the frame under the fender, the other part of the hinge to the door. Neither of there connects to the roof or piller, espeically in a manner that should "ruin it all." If the weight of the door can warp the entire frame like you said as a result of that, then obviuosly that car has a major issue. No properly designed car should do that at all. In this case, it wouldn't be a lambo door or VDC issue, it would be an issue with that car's factory design.
i used the word 'want' to demenstrate the way it exerts pressure on the hinge mounting point. i didnt mean that it actually does that, or even comes close to doing that.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:07 AM   #15
eckoman_pdx
Honda God

Re: Re: Lambo doors

Quote:
i used the word 'want' to demenstrate the way it exerts pressure on the hinge mounting point. i didnt mean that it actually does that, or even comes close to doing that.
Okay, I'll accept that then. You made it sound as if it WAS happening. My point then was the angle difference wasn't a hige deal then, since the stock car had issues anyway. I wasn't saying the angle CAN'T effect things, I was saying that under the circumstances you used as example there, it would not be the not the problem. The car design would be. As for Lambo doors. They're shouldn't mess up a civic like that. As for whether he should get them? I won't give my opinion, I am sponsered so I won't get into that, you know. They do look nice, that's true. They do attract attention. But before you spend the money, make sure it's REALLY what you want, that you don't mind the doors opening like that ALL the time, etc. Some mods tend to have a novelty aspect that can where off with some people. That's all I'll say. $1600 will go further on with motor, that's my 2 cents, I really shouldn't say more though.