Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:13 PM   #241
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002
Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thread

Lets not forget the F1 was born a decade earlier.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #242
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Re: The Official: "There's no such thing as a dumb question about the McLaren F1" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuilder2002 View Post
Lets not forget the F1 was born a decade earlier.
So what Ultima GTR was made in 2005 and still beats many supercars of today around a track.

Some magazines say that Carrera GT and Enzo were only better than F1 in braking only some say they are better than F1 all around.

So various sources contradict each other.Rowan Atkinson said that F1 was better around track in Evo test of F1 vs Carrera GT.

R&T said that F1 handles like car on slicks in F1 vs F40 vs 959 race.F1 tested for skidpad was having mechanical issues and worn tires according to a friend of the owner(AnotherDunneDeal) of the car in this forum who has driven it for 3 days.
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/288...aren-f1-2.html

And that 0.86g is what many people take advantage of in VS forums.

Only reason F1 is slow around a track is because it was made to be the ultimate road car not race car.But still if F1 could set faster lap time than Enzo on Bedford Autodrome then I think that is what matter.In the video ,the driver drifted it around some corners,so I think it may be faster with no drift.

In my opinion F1 gets less credit than what it deserves in many forums.
mcgtr1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #243
DesertTech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fselldorff View Post
Peleton25
Pls email me
-frank
fselldorff,
I have so many questions for you about the F1! Do you still check this thread?
DesertTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #244
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Has anyone here driven the F1 on limit,how does it feel then?

Why is the F1 LM's 0-60 slower than Mclaren F1?

Today I visited wiki I saw 7:11 laptime for F1 in list of nurburgring,do you think is it possible for standard F1(I think LM and GT can do it),surprisingly one of the reference is of automotorundsport sweden.

Edit:One youtuber says that the laptime was announced by Matti Kyllonen.
http://www.automotorsport.se/artikla...hard-goransson

And have anyone heard about 2010 update package for F1 in some forums,is it real?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:56 PM   #245
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgtr1995 View Post
Has anyone here driven the F1 on limit,how does it feel then?

Why is the F1 LM's 0-60 slower than Mclaren F1?

Today I visited wiki I saw 7:11 laptime for F1 in list of nurburgring,do you think is it possible for standard F1(I think LM and GT can do it),surprisingly one of the reference is of automotorundsport sweden.

Edit:One youtuber says that the laptime was announced by Matti Kyllonen.
http://www.automotorsport.se/artikla...hard-goransson

And have anyone heard about 2010 update package for F1 in some forums,is it real?
For now, picking up on your last point - it wasn't real
Old 05-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #246
carbuilder2002
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to carbuilder2002

Care to expand Greg as we all know that McLaren offer a variety of upgrades just not specifically as a set kit of upgrades more a case of pick and mix or correctly bespoke improvements that have been carried out to various owners cars over the cars lifespan.
OK I suppose the HDF Kit can be classed as a set kit of upgrades.
carbuilder2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:22 PM   #247
hurstg01
AF Fanatic

Thanked 1,498 Times in 648 Posts

Sure, I seem to remember in ferrarichat and perhaps PistonHeads where this was debunked by an F1 owner - possibly Flemke - will try to locate the piece unless someone beats me to it
Old 05-04-2016, 09:37 PM   #248
lilcraigford
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstg01 View Post
Sure, I seem to remember in ferrarichat and perhaps PistonHeads where this was debunked by an F1 owner - possibly Flemke - will try to locate the piece unless someone beats me to it
Ah yes, I remember that: SlideShare - Mclaren F1 2010 Upgrade Package

In summary, it was a document thoroughly outlining a factory-backed overhaul of the Mclaren F1 to bring it technologically up to speed with modern (2010 era) supercars. All a work of fiction, although I applaud the the creativity and thought that was put into it.
lilcraigford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilcraigford For This Useful Post:
DogZy (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 03:55 AM   #249
DogZy
AF Newbie

Hello chaps, happy to see you still being active here, and to read your posts!

Below is a facebook link for the design conference that is being held this weekend in Zagreb. Peter Stevens is attending it and will be a lecturer and panelist, among other known transportation designers and engineers.
http://www.facebook.com/automotivede...rence/?fref=ts

He was there last year also, and got into a very nice 20 minute chit-chat with him, and even got a photo with him.

So, to be in the spirit of this thread, is there any (dumb :P) question you would like me to ask him?

Cheers!

You are aiming for just one sweet spot in the corner. It's the point where centrifugal and cornering forces reach their equilibrium, where they are all at once replaced with acceleration. APEX - The invisible vertex of a corner, a place where the fastest lap times are recorded.
DogZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:27 AM   #250
Peloton25
McLaren Fanatic

Thanked 1,763 Times in 741 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Peloton25

Ask Peter which of his designs he is most fond of still and also ask which car he prefers the styling of more - the McLaren F1 or the Jaguar XJR-15, which is also a product of his talents.

>8^)
ER
Peloton25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #251
DogZy
AF Newbie

Hi Erik, thanks for a quick reply. I just found time to post how has it been at the auto(R) event...

He held a lecture under a name: " The business of going fast - 50% fun and 50% very serious". The presentation started with video of Andy Wallace speeding in XP5 at Ehra- Lessien, going flat out until he reached 391km/h.

He wanted to connect an anegdote with this video, where Andy, his great friend, called him on telephone when Peter was in Germany to say to him he was not happy with how car behaved in 200-250 km/h range during earlier testing.
At that point, Peter was all ears and was under a great pressure because of possible negative outcomes if tune was not done properly. So, he told him to check the tire alignment and some "other bits". Andy positively replied and the rest is history.

Some of his work where he had fun were with XJR15 and MG. His "serious" work were F1 and very serious with BMW in '99. Of course, he was serious with all of his designs and ideas, and that was precisely what I asked him in front of an audience: "where did you have more fun, at TWR/Jag or McLaren?"
He happily replied that it was a better atmosphere at TWR/Jag, eventhough the funds and time were limited. At McLaren, which was at that time purely a motorsport company, he was their "alfa and omega" regarding his automotive industry and design experience.

He talked about how he approached his every project very seriously (in terms of form follows function and in aerodynamics terms) and comparing it with some examples of design failure that happened at that time.

For example, when he was with BMW for its V12 LMR Le Mans endeavour, he reminded us (the audience) of catastrophic events at LM '99 with Audi...

Of course, he was not the only lecturer. This year Philip Nemeth and Adriano Mudri (of Rimac automobili) attended and lectured... Check out Rimac automobili if you haven't already.

Had a great time as always. It would not have been like that if Peter Stevens wasn't regular guest, to the extent he us not a guest, but a friend of the event...

He is so outgoing, communicative and really likeable person with so many knowledge and what is more important, he wants to share it with everyone and help.

Last year we talked about his enrolment with Harrods team and David Price Racing at LM and why did Kokusai Kaihatsu actually won, ahead of other McLarens. It was because the #01R ran with some not before tested part of suspension, which happened to endure just enough to the end of the race.

This is me with Mr. Stevens last year. Could not replicate the photo this year because he was so busy with other people. It was unfathomable, to grasp I met a creator of a car that is in top 3 of my favourite cars, with Lusso Berlinetta and F50 the other two. I hope you can see the photo.

http:// https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

Plus, this is my flickr album from this years auto(R) event. I kindly ask you to go and see it. https://flic.kr/s/aHskw8EEoy

Thanks for reading.

You are aiming for just one sweet spot in the corner. It's the point where centrifugal and cornering forces reach their equilibrium, where they are all at once replaced with acceleration. APEX - The invisible vertex of a corner, a place where the fastest lap times are recorded.
DogZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #252
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Today I browsed in some of the forums.People claim that F1 was tested against F50 at estoril,F1 lapped suzuka in 2:30.So my question is whether this is true or just some fake data.As to my knowledge F1 was never tested against F50 in the same day.

By the way this was the forum I was talking about.
https://translate.google.co.in/trans...ml&prev=search
Old 08-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #253
Sami Aaltonen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Sami Aaltonen

No need to prove nothing, if we are talking about F1. Doesn't matter how quick it is or is F50 quicker what ever track it will be.

F1 won Le Mans, 40% racecar modification. Simply said ; it could have been driven to Woking from Le Mans after the race.
That tells everything, no need to try how quick it is example Nurburgring or Spa or Estoril or Suzuka.

----
Kuvat.fi -McLaren F1 GTR and many others!

Sami Aaltonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #254
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

As far as I know,only track where F1 and F50 lapped is tsukuba where F1 was quicker even when the conditions were not ideal for hot lapping.As far as Estoril lap goes,it is faster than a corvette ZR1 when tested by Turbo mag.
Tsukuba times
F1 1;04.62 F50 1;05.81
Estoril time
F1 1:55.9 Zr1 1:56.42

Since you guys know much more about F1 than I would ever know,I wanted to make sure if the info I read was correct.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 PM   #255
mcgtr1995
AF Newbie

Do you guys know anything about Mclaren launching a new F1?What do you think of this project?
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...new-mclaren-f1

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > McLaren > F1